Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2018, 02:27 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2018

Thanks, hivelord. If nobody else can scrounge up a squad, I'll just bring Raelin just in case

I'm playing with 2 C3V units: Master Lao Xin and Chen Tang, if anybody wants to check those out in advance.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 02:49 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'm playing with 2 C3V units: Master Lao Xin and Chen Tang, if anybody wants to check those out in advance.
Hey! that's my army too ...

Well, not exactly, of course, but it appears we did both settle on the same rough idea. I guess we'll just have to see how that plays out ... if we end up going against each other, will one of try to swap out? will both of us try to swap out, each thinking that the other will stand pat? It'll be a game of monk chicken.

And you've reminded me: normally I try to compile a list of all the VC units I'll be bringing in my car, but, since I'm making all the pool armies this time, there are so many ... and I still have one more player army to make so I don't have a full list yet, and at this point it's so late that I dunno if it would help anyone anyway. But, if anyone wants to see that list, I guess just let me know and I'll whip up something tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 2nd, 2018, 03:04 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

In any other format I'd probably scrap my army entirely, but since we have the opportunity to switch out armies, and since my list of available units isn't a very big list, I'll just stick to my guns.

Looking forward to finally playing with all of you guys tomorrow!

Not sure if this "counts", but I've placed second at tournaments in Maryland and Ohio (where I won the two monks), so I guess you can decide if that makes me eligible for round 1 solo play.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 10:39 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

Similar to wnfb, I’ve done zero research and haven’t made any armies. I’ve skimmed through most of the thread, but still not sure I know exactly what’s going on. That said, I have my assigned map, my figures, and wnfb’s terrain packed up. I will be aiming for closer to 10-10:30am. I’ll probably need to pull up and get some help unloading as the back of my car is packed. If we are uneven I can always just bounce and come back later to grab terrain; really don’t care to play the tournament format anyway.

Big props to Xotli for all the work!

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old November 3rd, 2018, 12:20 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
In any other format I'd probably scrap my army entirely, but since we have the opportunity to switch out armies, and since my list of available units isn't a very big list, I'll just stick to my guns.
I had the exact same thought and came to the exact same conclusion.

Quote:
Looking forward to finally playing with all of you guys tomorrow!
Yes, I'm getting super excited myself!

Quote:
Not sure if this "counts", but I've placed second at tournaments in Maryland and Ohio (where I won the two monks), so I guess you can decide if that makes me eligible for round 1 solo play.
Sure, that counts. Let's just see how many solo people per round we need and play it by ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrimentalman View Post
Similar to wnfb, I’ve done zero research and haven’t made any armies. I’ve skimmed through most of the thread, but still not sure I know exactly what’s going on. ...
Well, I've printed out a bunch of stuff that should make it much clearer once you sit down to play.

Quote:
If we are uneven I can always just bounce and come back later to grab terrain; really don’t care to play the tournament format anyway.
Awwww. Hopefully you'll stick around to give it a chance. I think this could be really cool. From the email I sent around to my peeps:
Quote:
I think this not only opens up another side to the game (i.e. the cooperative side), but it also gives more inexperienced players a chance to lean on their partners, who just might end up being one of the best players in our group. So you can learn from people, you have someone to help you remember all those fiddly bonuses and whatnot, and it's just plain fun to work together sometimes. You know, to utterly crush your enemies.
Also, one of the big advantages of this format is that it's utterly impossible for us to be uneven.

Quote:
Big props to Xotli for all the work!
Thx man. I think it'll be fun. And that's all I'm really in for anyhow.

News update #1: We had one of our "no"s turn into a last minute "yes"! So, currently, we have exactly 3 maps' worth of people, which would mean no one has to play solo at all. So that could be fun. But it'll still work out even if extra people come or someone drops out last minute or whatever. Yet another thing I really dig about this format.

Anyhow, I'll be checking in here throughout the night, and one last time in the morning (as I always do), and maybe I'll even text warriorneedsfoodbadly to let him know when we're on the way. Printing is all done and it looks pretty great. I've got a few cards to cut out, but a lot of the cutting and binding the printers did for me ... I think you guys are going to dig it.

Getting close!

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 3rd, 2018, 12:24 AM
This is merely a joke.

I got my monks cards printed today. The backs don't line up 100% due to some printer slippage, but holy crap do the fronts look incredibly official.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 01:13 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
I got my monks cards printed today. The backs don't line up 100% due to some printer slippage, but holy crap do the fronts look incredibly official.
Yep, I got mine done today as well, plus Urk and a few others. The C3V cards always come out fantastic; doe is da man.

BTW, I'm hoping someone saw my plea about needing an extra Marcu ... now I may have three people trying to claim one little demon.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 3rd, 2018, 12:19 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Okay, everything's basically packed but the map, which task I have assigned out to my minions. (Because, as my favorite teacher and mother of one of my best friends used to say: after all, what are dwarves for? ) As long as everyone arrives on time and I can get in and out of the shower, we should be on track to arrive at 10:30(ish). warriorneedsfoodbadly, I will text you when we're leaving.

I am so looking forward to today, guys. As Tiny TIm once said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Valhalla Christmas Carol
I just know that this will be the best National Heroscape Day ever!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 3rd, 2018, 11:41 PM
This is merely a joke.

Thanks for playing, everybody! I had a lot of fun meeting you all!

Congrats to Max on the win, and big thanks to X1 for making everything run smoothly, if not quickly
Old November 5th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Thanks for playing, everybody! I had a lot of fun meeting you all!

Congrats to Max on the win, and big thanks to X1 for making everything run smoothly, if not quickly
I think future events will go a bit quicker, now that we've done it once.

So, guys, I have to say, this was one of our funnest events ever, IMO. Here's what I know:
  • Quillon's friend J commented that her co-victory with superfrog was one of the few games she's won across the 3 or 4 years she's been coming to our tournaments, and gave him credit for helping her with strategy.
  • Quillon's friend C was pretty thrilled with coming in at the top of the 1-win bracket—fourth overall!—and commented that this was the first time he'd ever won a prize.
  • The Smaller Animal was completely enthralled with his prize, a Braxas with card. Now, understand: we already have a perfectly good Braxas,which he has always been free to use any time he wanted. But this one is his, because he won it. For those of you who left early, we went on to play another game of 2-on-2, with wnfb (playing Mohicans and Makwa) and hivelord (playing Mok and Axegrinders) opposing me (playing Locksley and Nottingham Brigands, with Elaria and Darrak thrown in just for fun) and the Smaller Animal. Since of course he had to use his new prize, I slapped together a crazy army with Braxas, Sudema, 2x Crypt Guardians, and 2x Dumutefs. After 3 or 4 turns of nothing but beating on the dragon queen while constantly being mowed down by acid spittle, the dwarves finally took down ol' Buttefly-Wings, leaving Mok engaged with a Crypt Guardian. So, out comes Sudema, and 2 Stare of Stone rolls later, Mok was a big statue. I know hivelord wasn't too pleased, but damn you shoulda seen the smile on that kid's face.

In short, I feel like we've sort of invented a Heroscape mentorship program: these are all players who consistently finish in the bottom ranks, and they've become sort of resigned to that. But this gives them a chance to learn from the more competitive players and get a taste of victory. I couldn't be happier. Big thanks to superfrog for suggesting this format, and thanks so much to everyone for giving it a chance, even though I know some of you were hesitant at first. I have some pics I'll try to post later, and I'm looking forward to seeing wnfb's video of the prizes being chosen. And I hope we can do something similar next year, because it really was the coolest.

Thx again for everyone making it out and making it such a fun day. I know we say this every year, but for reals you guys: let's don't wait a whole year to see each other again.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old November 5th, 2018, 11:31 AM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That was a fabulous day. I love how you phrased it as a Heroscape Mentorship Program. That is a really fun way to put it.

I had a great time and was especially excited that I actually was able to stick around for a game after the tournament for once! I was only disappointed that I didn't get to use Mok to his full potential. The kid played well!

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old November 11th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Here are those pics I promised! (I know some of them appear to be upside-down; when you click on them, the larger versions should be oriented properly, but it doesn't appear to be working now ... I'll try to rotate them manually on my next pass through the forums.)

@warriorneedsfoodbadly , how about that video?

EDIT: I can't seem to make them show up right-side up no matter what I do. Screw it; just turn your monitor upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-11-03 15.38.30.jpg (2.11 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-11-03 15.38.49.jpg (1.73 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-11-03 15.39.23.jpg (1.64 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-11-03 18.11.39.jpg (1.83 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-11-03 18.12.06.jpg (1.76 MB, 2 views)

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; November 12th, 2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: giving up on upside-down pics

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day