Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!
Cincinnati "Preset" Tournament Sat 7/16/11

Cincinnati "Preset" Tournament Sat. 7/16/11

Date: Saturday, July 16, 2011

Time: 10:30ish AM to 5ish PM

10:30-11:30 - Setup/Registration
11:30-12:20 - Round 1
12:30-1:20 - Round 2
1:30-2:20 - Round 3
2:20-2:40 - Longer break (food, RR, etc.)
2:40-3:30 - Round 4
3:40-4:30 - Round 5
4:30-5:00 - Prizes/ clean up

Allow five minutes at the beginning of each game for picking armies and becoming familiar with them, and then allow 45 minutes to play each game.

Sci-Fi City, Cincinnati (Northgate Mall by Macy's, Exit 33 off I-275)
9527 Colerain Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45251
Store Phone: 513-245-9105

Background/ Concept:
Spoiler Alert!

Starting Each Match:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps and Pairs of Armies:
Spoiler Alert!

Treasure Glyph Pool:
Spoiler Alert!

Entry fee/Prizes: No entry fee. If you provide a prize for the prize table, you can pick out one at the end. The top player will pick from the prize table first, etc. Prizes can be anything...Heroscape related, other games or even a gift certificate to somewhere. Sci-Fi City is a full-service game store and does carry Heroscape, and they would probably appreciate your patronage since they are allowing us to use their space. : )

Attendees
( ). Johnnylama (I will be available to play if needed to round out pairs).
1. Jandar70 (aka Zach)
2. ravenwolf64
3. Beowulf
4. Brownsfan82
5. El Diabolo
6. Deroche
7. Mooseman
8. Yogurt
9. Nathaniel
10. tfelts
11. +1 with tfelts

Possibles
TheAverageFan +1
+1 with ravenwolf64
acdveins+?

Total including possibles:

Changes from the Last Tournament:
I was a little disappointed that Tournament Director repeated some of the pairings last time, and I don't know if there's a button somewhere that I can click to fix it. I have a new scoring sheet in mind that might make the "old fashioned way" a little easier, assuming there aren't too many people.

I think the start time and break in the middle worked pretty well, so I'm keeping the schedule the same as the last time.

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
― Anthony Ryan, Blood Song

Last edited by Johnnylama; July 15th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Cincinnati "Preset" Tournament Sat 7/16/11

Updated with more details...

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Minions x3 (330) + Taelord (180)= 510
vs.
Sentinals x3 (330) + Raelin RotV (80) + Iron Golem (100) = 510

Classic. Minions have better OM efficiency, but Sentinels get an extra bruiser.

Drow x3 (210) + Master of the Hunt (140) + Mika Connour (110)= 460
vs.
Phantom Knights (210) + Frost Giant of Morh (140) + Evar Scarcarver (110) = 460

This match-up is interesting because so many of the units' special abiities are weakened. Drow like to face a lot of heroes to get the most out of their Poison, PKs like to face range, and if the Frost Giant dies from a Poison wound he doesn't get to use Dying Swipe. Drow and Mika will like the map, though.

Tor-Kul-Na (220) + Marro Drones x3 (150) + Wo-Sa-Ga (135) = 505
vs.
Jotun (225) + Marro Dividers x3 (150) + Greater Ice Elemental (130) = 505

Drones start to lose strength once they drop below 3 squads, but TKN can Stomp without fear of Dividing.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Minions x3 (330) + Taelord (180)= 510
vs.
Sentinelsx3 (330) + Raelin RotV (80) + Iron Golem (100) = 510

Classic. Minions have better OM efficiency, but Sentinels get an extra bruiser.
Yes: Minions+ Taelor vs. Sentinels + Raelin is DEAD even on the match up calculator. Sentinels won more often on the flat board, but Minions get the advantage on OM & height (more skulls than shields), but they cost 100 more. The iron golem evens it out nicely.

Quote:
Drow x3 (210) + Master of the Hunt (140) + Mika Connour (110)= 460
vs.
Phantom Knights (210) + Frost Giant of Morh (140) + Evar Scarcarver (110) = 460

This match-up is interesting because so many of the units' special abiities are weakened. Drow like to face a lot of heroes to get the most out of their Poison, PKs like to face range, and if the Frost Giant dies from a Poison wound he doesn't get to use Dying Swipe. Drow and Mika will like the map, though.
The PKs mobility gave them an edge on a non-D&D map, but when I tried it out on a D&D map it was pretty much a wash. I had to play test this one a bunch.

Quote:
Tor-Kul-Na (220) + Marro Drones x3 (150) + Wo-Sa-Ga (135) = 505
vs.
Jotun (225) + Marro Dividers x3 (150) + Greater Ice Elemental (130) = 505

Drones start to lose strength once they drop below 3 squads, but TKN can Stomp without fear of Dividing.
Yes-- Dividers win over drones in a straight up match up, but stomp evens it out. Jotun will kill a lot, but probably not his points. It all evens out in the end!

You know, I pretty much have the boards and armies in mind, but I haven't had a chance to build the boards and work out who will play on what. Maybe I should just list them and see what you guys think?! Or maybe I'm just being lazy.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM

Father Of Julian knows what's in an order marker Father Of Julian knows what's in an order marker

If you build them, they will come. Noone could ever say you're lazy Johnny. The last three tournaments we've been to, are yours, I respectfully thank you for keep Scape alive. That being said StormShadow and myself would be honored to be apart of the preset tournament.

Last edited by Father Of Julian; June 5th, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM

worldsenemy knows what's in an order marker worldsenemy knows what's in an order marker

This looks interesting. I'm free that weekend. Might be able to make a trip down with some guys.......

I'm just sayin.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM

I think I’m going to see if anyone wants to chime in on this. Here are the other six pairings that I tested, followed by the six maps I’m planning to use. I have juuuuust enough sets in my collection to squeeze out 10 maps, so I pretty much have to use these or ones that use the same sets. Any thoughts on who should play where?

Armies:
Spoiler Alert!

Boards:

Also… here’s another problem I just thought of:

Ending Each Match:
Although the armies facing each other have the same number of points, the pairings among the boards do not. Because of this, the normal method of calculating points at the end of the match won’t work. We could use strength of schedule, but we’d need Tournament Director to do it, and I’m not planning on using it right now. How about one of these methods instead?

1. If a player wins outright, record his or her points remaining on the board as his or her score. If the game times out, each player figures out how many points he or she has left—larger number wins, and subtract the lower number from the higher to get points.
2. Just forget it. In timed out games, the winner has the most points left on the board. Go by record only for final rankings, allowing ties, and roll a d20 for who picks first from the prize table.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

A couple thoughts about map/army pairings:

Granite Guardians need elevation changes to shine, so they'd probably favor Quasatch Playground. Deathstalkers are fast enough to not be concerned by them. Both common squads will appreciate the Jungle defense bonus against the dragons' SAs.

Since 10th v. 4th is the only ranged match-up both armies would benefit from Jungle. Invasion would be the map I'd use for them.

KoW are killed by lots of elevation changes (and Heavies don't particularly like them, either) so I'd proabably put them on either Embattled Fen or Blacktop.

The rest of them would be pretty even anywhere.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM

ravenwolf64 Woo who?

Count me in! Maybe a +1
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Beowulf has disabled reputation

Heck yeah!!!!! Just made my birthday weekend even better! So yeah, that means I'm coming I'll try and bring Mooseman, Yogurt, and Nathaniel with me.
As long as everyone plays once at each table, the points system should still work for breaking ties.
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM

acdveins Woo who?

Hey, put down another maybe for me. I'll bring any friends that are interested, too. I live in Fairfield, just up the road from Colerain, so I can come early and help set up, or whatever else you need. I'll let you know soon if I am a definite attendee, and how many I'll be bringing with me.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

You can write me down as a definite for this one.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events