Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old April 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
R˙chean's Map Making Challenge: Win a NIB Jungle!!!

For Gen Con 2011, we have a need for a map that uses a certain set of terrain. There are not currently very many maps that use these specific terrain sets and those that do met the set criteria were not to our liking this time around. So with approval, I decided to run a contest.

Parameters: Make and submit a map using only the Rise of the Valkyrie (RotV) Master set and the Fortress of the Archkyrie (FotA) Expansion set.
  • Map is for 2 players, 1 vs 1 play
  • 24 hex start zones for each player
  • Start zones must accommodate Marro Hive
  • Power glyphs optional, static or random
  • Treasure glyphs preferred but not required
  • Map image is required
  • PDF format required
Recommendations: I do not want to stifle the creation process with an abundance of do and don'ts. However, keep in mind that extreme elevation is not very conducive to a balanced, tournament style map. I will say that I am interested in maps that have a center line but it is not required. Also, to reiterate, we are well aware of the maps currently on the site that use the specified sets so please refrain from submitting an old map. We prefer to see some new maps.

Process: Use this thread for submissions and questions. Please include 1 image of your map when you make your sbmission as awell as links to the actual download. You have 3 weeks to work on your submission. The cutoff will be May 16th at 11:59 pm Central. Any submission after that time will not be recognized. Maps will be grouped into voting thread(s). Voters will be encouraged to vote based on which map they think is best suited for tournament play. Limit 2 submissions per person.

If you are unsure, please review this thread for how to share your map with the world.

Prizes: Prizes will be awarded to the maker(s) of the top 2 maps. One NIB Jungle and one NIB Road set are available with 1st place getting their choice between the two.

Clarifications: The winner is in no way guaranteed that their map will be selected for this year's Gen Con. This contest is specifically designed to create more maps using these sets. The winner(s) of the contest are only assured of receiving the prizes specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
could you also use a Lexan map?
No, that will be counterproductive to the effort because then to use that map, we would have to procure Lexan maps. One of the main reason we are looking at this particular resource setup is because it is exactly what we have left to work with. I do not want to add more materials to the Gen Con map resources.

Quote:
Also, could I "ReMix" a Rotv + RttFF map to substitute the fortress walls instead of trees and wall road for regular road?
I think so...you are saying can you apply a facelift to a current map to change it from using Road to using Castle. Sure.

Quote:
For that matter, can we have uncapped fortress walls?
I will allow it. Keep in mind that you do not need to use all the materials available. Just because wall pieces are included in the set does not mean you have to use them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Can you define "center line"?
Probably a better way to describe it but basically a clear center or center line of hexes in a otherwise symmetrical map.

Again, it isn’t required and nor is symmetry.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Do you have the same space limitations as the last Gencon?
Sort of...I guess. We have a tad more space than last year, but not much more. However, I decided not to include map footprint as a parameter. I felt just saying tournament style would probably yield maps with a manageable footprint.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBear View Post
Will there be a standard trap for GenCon?

Are custom glyphs (power or treasure) allowed?
Custom glyphs? no

I was originallly thinking there would be a standard trap for all maps used, but there is no reason the traps cannot be map specific.
Please post any additional questions here and I will address them with updates as needed.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; April 26th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: R˙chean's Map Making Challenge

I'm guessing the map should only use 1 RotV and 1 FotA set.

Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Yes, correct; thank you and updated.

Old April 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I am pretty sure the answer is no, but could you also use a Lexan map? I do have a decent map like that that I need to virtualize.

Also, could I "ReMix" a Rotv + RttFF map to substitute the fortress walls instead of trees and wall road for regular road?

For that matter, can we have uncapped fortress walls? I think the problem with Fortress maps with the BoV is that unless you use enough terrain to build up a hill to the walls, it gives great advantage to fliers and the Airborne elite, although I am not sure how only adding a few of these maps to the tourney will change the metagame of these units being brought.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
could you also use a Lexan map?
No, that will be counterproductive to the effort because then to use that map, we would have to procure Lexan maps. One of the main reason we are looking at this particular resource setup is because it is exactly what we have left to work with. I do not want to add more materials to the Gen Con map resources.

Quote:
I think so...you are saying can you apply a facelift to a current map to change it from using Road to using Castle. Sure.

Quote:
I will allow it. Keep in mind that you do not need to use all the materials available. Just because wall pieces are included in the set does not mean you have to use them.

Good questions; adding them to first post.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
Is there an "official" line for capped versus uncapped fortress walls?
Official? Don't like that word much at all anymore.

Uncapped walls are allowed for the purposes of this contest:
Quote:
Quote:

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Probably a better way to describe it but basically a clear center or center line of hexes in a otherwise symmetrical map.

Again, it isn’t required and nor is symmetry.

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Sort of...I guess. We have a tad more space than last year, but not much more. However, I decided not to include map footprint as a parameter. I felt just saying tournament style would probably yield maps with a manageable footprint.

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Except when I need the move boost

I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker

I'm in. Are we allowed to submit more than one map?

I Hate Atlaga is the Roman Legionnaire...
in THE CLOCK TOWER
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Atlaga View Post
I'm in. Are we allowed to submit more than one map?
You are allowed to submit up to two maps:

Quote:
Process:...Limit 2 submissions per person.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games