Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Gencon Events: What do you want to see next year?

This is a thread to talk about the events you enjoyed this year and what youd like to see next year.

I was in 4 events this year (General Wars, Capture the Flag, Main Event, and Heat of Battle). I had a blast playing in everything except for HOB. It wasnt because of the event itself I was just ready to check out the dealer hall and play other games. Heres my 2 cents on each of the events.

General Wars
:
I think this needs to continue. Im not sure how things will play out with the new General coming but its always an event I look forward to. I would be extremely disappointed if this wasnt brought back each year.

Capture the Flag:
I really enjoy having an alternate win condition. This format really makes you pay attention to your start zone and protecting the flag. I lost to RoninValentina because I did not pay attention to my flag. Most game tend to be kill em all but if the opportunity arises it can be nice to end a game quickly.

Main Event: Theres another thread to discuss this

Heat of Battle: I really like the change in rules. The only problem I saw is that on some maps it was really easy for 4 man squads to control the high ground due to the placement rules. I know the placement had to be fixed due to firestorm but now it seems super easy for the first player to control high ground. I only played 2 games though so Im still unsure about the format.

Things Id like see next year.

Team formats:
The Nebraska crew was talking about this on the way home and I think the one things Gencon is missing is some kind of Team format. This is the number one event Id like to see next year.

Draft formats:
I dont know if we have a solid formula for draft but I think the Texas crew has really good start on how to run a draft event.

So what did you guys like or not like? What would you like to see next year?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Last edited by stubobj; August 10th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Gencon Events: What do you want to see next year?

I would also like to see team games, but I think the issue is having maps suitable for team play. There would have to be more maps set up to accomodate just that event. If someone finds a workable solution to that problem, then I could see a fun team tournament.

There was a draft event at Gencon in the past (I think 2008) and I think it's another possible fun event for next year.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

I like the team idea. You don't necessarily need different maps. Magic just uses a three person team and individuals play one v one matches. The team with 2 of the 3 individuals winning get the team win. This could easily be done for Scape.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

That is interesting, though I am pretty sure they were thinking a format that allowed the friendly synergies to kick in to play. That method wouldn't allow for it.

It is interesting though. I am sure the NE and OH guys could get behind a team event structured like that.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 10th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

I like all hero tournaments. I enjoyed the one this year. I would like two tournaments to have heroes only. Maybe, one is all heroes no marvel and another one uses marvel. This would be nice because squads usually dominate in regular tourneys, which is okay. But i played in 5 tourneys and seeing the same squads ( i even played a couple of them) dominate gets a little repetitive.

Old August 10th, 2010, 05:38 PM

jacob_j_p is surprisingly tart

I'd like the return of the mindshackle tournament, since I'm a shoe in to get second place to spider poison in that one

I mentioned this in another thread, but in the heat of battle tourney, I think the first d20 roll should be to chose either to drop first, or play first. Winning both the drop and initiative is too much to overcome.

As for other formats, Marduk has tons of ideas on different restrictions. Just off the top of my head, he's run, must be the same race, all from the same planet, C or lower in the power rankings (probably not feasable at gencon), even cheap armies where you couldn't play more than 140 points of a single card (so no heroes over 140, and no more than 140 points of the same common squad). He's also run an event where you played as a team, but the teams shifted. I didn't make it to this one, so I don't know how it worked exactly, but seemed neat.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Juniour is surprisingly tart

I liked the change in the rules to Dragon Wars, this was only my first Gen Con but I've played games that included destroying the enemy's dragon to win, and it was to easy to just create a team built to easily destroy a dragon (two dragon armies mainly) and it also makes the games more interesting because you can move your dragon out and not just sit back and project your dragon.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker

They removed the win scenario for Dragon Wars by taking out the dragon because there are to many units that do instant kills (Atlaga) and I've got to agree. To lose a match solely off of one d20 roll was pretty brutal.

People can still do it and it still hurts a bunch but it lets people continue playing with what they have left.

I'd LOVE to see some Team games. 520 pts per side, no more then 100pt difference between the players. The games will go quickly with all the extra order markers and we can finally get some of the Team HS play that it was meant to have in it.

Traders: Hoser, Sphere, Taeblewalker, DiscoStu, Hogg, Onacara, Skeletor, Cavalier, PonchoMan, Just_a_Bill, KRUG!, Wytefang, i2hot4u, Jim, Lakai, NEWT, nerdcorerocks, JediNate, Mutt Lo.
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I will plan on coming next year, so hopefully you can take some of my input.

How about heroes only with Marvel, C3G, and TNT customs allowed? Would WotC frown on customs allowed in a tourney?

An alternate to heroes only is figure limit like lite-weight, only a higher point value like 550-600, which would encourage heroes but not require it. I have also seen tourneys listed where there is still 24-hex start zones but you can only bring 12 or 15 figures, and at higher points like 500-600, which makes it easier for double-spaced squads such as Calvary as well as heroes.

I also would like a team game. The Warzones of Valhalla is heating up for this purpose and hopefully by next year we can have at least 8 fully playtested maps suitable for 2v2.

I would also like to see draft formats - where you bring like 800 points and draft from that pool or even (I forgot who suggested this) where the draft pool for each game is the combined units brought by each player. Although drafting adds time between each round, so I could see why it would be difficult at Gencon. Maybe we can have a drafting team tourney, as you can conspire with your teammate in draft choices, and since they both add time you might as well add time together in one tourney where each round is 1 1/2 hours including drafting.

I am not keen on Capture the flag, kill the Dragon, or other alternative victory scenarios as a tournament. I sometimes like playing them in homegames in more of a DM-run multiplayer scenarios, but just not as a tourney as the outcome is too random.

Maybe they can tweak HOB even more, like you can start engaged with up to 2 figures, you are allowed to start engaged on the highest level, or you can't place figures on the highest level (the best option I can think of).

I also think we need to have one tourney (or just open gaming slot) that you CANNOT preregister for, so that noobs who have never played before can get in a game and sign up that day, and someone can be there to teach.

Last edited by lefton4ya; August 10th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

I am sure we will have Marvel allowed in more than one event next year.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Juniour is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
I am sure we will have Marvel allowed in more than one event next year.
I really enjoyed Marvel this year and it would be very fun for Marvel to be included in more than just one tournament. But maybe a higher maximum point value would be good to, because it gives you more possibilities because Marvel costs so much...
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I didn't play HoB, but it was clear from walking around and looking at the armies that the changes this year were enough to break the format out of the WoA quagmire it had gotten stuck in. There was a lot of variety and it looked pretty fun. I don't think it needs any more changes for now.

General Wars is a classic and should definitely be kept. Heroes only was fun too... adding Marvel there maybe? More Marvel sounds good.

Team games would be fun, but the map and space constraints could make it a struggle. Maybe do a team tournament on day 4, where you can spread out the maps slightly, and maybe have an assigned spot where a 7-hexer gets tacked on. You could do a draft format tournament at the same time... both of those will take longer than other formats. If you're going to do a draft format, I prefer a combined pool draft.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con