Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Double spaced figures, dragons, and any other figures with fairly large sculpts do not do well on that map at all.
The two armies I tested most on it used Braxas and Nilfhiem, and my brother used Q9 and Zelrig, and, while they did require a little extra tactical consideration, they were hampered very little, overall.
I haven't played on the map, so this isn't really directed at it. But more broadly speaking, I don't spend much time worrying about double-spaced effects for ranged double-spacers like Braxas, Nilfheim, Q9, and Zelrig. Even the flying melee double-spacers like Charos or SBN or Sujoah tend to do OK on rolling maps.

What you have to watch for is the effects on the non-flying melee double-spacers: Brunak, Grimank, Jotun, Krug, Wo-Sa-Ga, Tor-Kul-Na, Deathstalkers, Dumutefs, Groks, Hounds, Templars, Nerak, Tornak, Swogs, Dupuis, Feral Troll, GIE, Fen Hydra, and Torin (or whichever is the Cyclops). These are the figures that can really get wrecked by rolling terrain.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Double spaced figures, dragons, and any other figures with fairly large sculpts do not do well on that map at all.

Also, I think you are using the outdated picture.
The two armies I tested most on it used Braxas and Nilfhiem, and my brother used Q9 and Zelrig, and, while they did require a little extra tactical consideration, they were hampered very little, overall.
I played on this map at NHSD '09 and I just remember having the worst game of my life trying to use Nilfheim and Q10 on this map. I couldn't place Nilfheim ANYWHERE and Q10 had some serious LoS and movement issues.

I'm still embarrassed over how bad I lost that game.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, I think you are using the outdated picture.
I played on this map at NHSD '09 and I just remember having the worst game of my life trying to use Nilfheim and Q10 on this map. I couldn't place Nilfheim ANYWHERE and Q10 had some serious LoS and movement issues.

I'm still embarrassed over how bad I lost that game.
Woo hoo! A map that makes it hard on Nilf and Q10. Yes to review! (Just joking... about good ole Nilf and Q10...kinda)

Since nyys is a judge, it only needs a majority, or 3 of 5 to move to review. So it is added to the list.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I appreciate the note, Warlord Alpha. I will certainly test that. (I use Nilf quite a bit, so he will always be tested.) As dok suggests, I'm always also concerned for TKN, Krug, and others--and will try them on the map as well.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer at 11:54 View Post
I'd like to nominate Viper Valley by nyys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler at 12:23 View Post
Woo hoo! A map that makes it hard on Nilf and Q10. Yes to review! (Just joking... about good ole Nilf and Q10...kinda)

Since nyys is a judge, it only needs a majority, or 3 of 5 to move to review. So it is added to the list.
29 minutes from nomination to acceptance for review! I think that's a record!

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Now you just have to wait 29 months to see if it becomes a BOV .
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Now you just have to wait 29 months to see if it becomes a BOV .
And if not, another 29 years for editing.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the nomination Killometer, and yes that is the correct pic/build.

The edit you're thinking of WA, that I made before the Pestered tourney was a section of the map where a melee double spacer could not reach, and a ranged figure standing in this unreachable spot would have had a field day (the sand tiles in question were shifted, not removed).

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; February 23rd, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:24 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

For those interested, I started giving my impressions on some of the maps that were at TotalCon, here. Hopefully some of the other folks that were there will chime in as well.

-insert signature here-
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Swamp Helix by dok

The first thing you notice when you build Swamp Helix is that it takes a huge amount of terrain to build. It requires SotM, RttF, M:tCB, and FotA.

It’s an interesting use of a Castle Map. There’s fairly strong glyphs underneath the castle walk and a couple of your units even start part way up the castle walk, The castle walk forms a Z shape.

There are 2 hills right next to your start zone, you even can start 2 hexes on one of them. You can have height on pretty much everything (excluding the castle walk part of course) immediately because there’s level 0 swamp water everywhere.

With the way the glyphs are set up there’s many choke points on the bottom part of the map. Melee just gets torn to pieces if they try to approach from the ground level. Many a times a knight would grab the move glyph, just to be blasted off it on the next turn. If a melee unit did happen to make it, they were ALWAYS engaging up.

I also felt like melee had to try and control the bridge if they wanted a chance. You don’t want to just get sniped the whole game. If melee did take control of the bridge. The opponent would just then shoot up at them. The battlements provided some LOS blocking but not much.

I think this map is favors range / rats too much and uses an awful lot of sets to build so I am voting NO to induct it into the BoV.

Striking Distance by Dignan

Striking Distance is actually a fairly large map. It requires RotV and 2 RttFF. It’s got split start zones which is a very cool idea, but I think that’s what may be it’s biggest issue.

Because of the split start zones the first initiative is huge! Range can grab a hill immediately and start attacking your start zone. The use of roads and the many LOS blockers with the trees and ruins tries to balance this out, but in my experiences it wasn’t enough. The river in the middle also causes some issues for melee trying to get around it while getting shot at.

I love the idea of split start zones and Dignan makes some pretty awesome maps, but I’m voting NO to induct this one because I feel it’s too swingy for melee. Once a hill is fortified it’s tough to dislodge them.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Dvalin's Furnace by Gamebear

If this map had glyphs I think I would have been able to look past the molten lava on the castle walls. But with the lack of incentive to really fight anywhere but the middle, and my inability to see past the oddity that is the lava on the walls (though I understand why its there), I vote NO to review.

-insert signature here-
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Updated 2/26/10
Logged no votes for induction by Matthias on Swamp Helix and Striking Distance
Logged yes votes to review Viper Valley by Matthias, 1Mmirg and Riggler
Removed Swamp Helix by dok from consideration for induction into BOV
Added Viper Valley to under review
Logged no vote by nyys to review Dvalin's Furnace
Removed Dvalin's Furnace by Gamebear from pending review

Maps pending acceptance for review:

None

Maps currently being reviewed:

Elswin Plateau by Mooseman
YES = 3 (Dignan, Matthias Maccabeus, nyys) ; NO = 0 ; Pending = 3 (1Mmirg, Kahrma, Riggler)

Feylund Fountain by Velenne
YES = 1 ( nyys) ; NO = 1 (Matthias Maccabeus) ; Pending = 4 (1Mmirg, Dignan, Kahrma, Riggler)

Fossil by Rÿchean
YES = 2 (Matthias Maccabeus, Riggler); NO = 0 ; Pending = 4 (1Mmirg, Dignan, Kahrma , nyys)

Striking Distance by Dignan
YES = 0 ; NO = 1 (Matthias Maccabeus); Pending = 4 (1Mmirg, Kahrma , nyys, Riggler) *Dignan removed from process per being map creator

The Frozen Cavern by tom
YES = 0 ; NO = 0 ; Pending = 6 (1Mmirg, Kahrma , nyys, Riggler, Matthias Maccabeus, Dignin)

Noctis by Mad_Wookie
YES = 0 ; NO = 0 ; Pending = 6 (1Mmirg, Kahrma , nyys, Riggler, Matthias Maccabeus, Dignan)

Jungle of the Ancients by Angear
YES = 0); NO = 0 ; Pending = 6 ( 1Mmirg, Kahrma , nyys, Riggler, Matthias Maccabeus, Dignan)

Viper Valley by nyys
(YES = 0 ; NO = 0 ; Pending = 5 (1Mmirg, Kahrma , Dignan, Riggler, Matthias Maccabeus) *nyys removed from process per being map creator

Last edited by Riggler; February 26th, 2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Ninja'd by nyys

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios