Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
Strange Request: Please advise...

I am playing on an indoor soccer team with the company I work for, and the ref's are absolutely terrible. Half the time I don't even think they are watching the game. I do not mind horrible calls, but the problem is that the league is getting very violent. Slide tackles (which are not allowed) are happening without touching the ball at all, trips, and people slamming others into the wall, with the refs not caring at all. There have been numerous fights outbreaking because of this, and I am worried that one of my teammates/coworkers are going to get seriously injured one of these days.

My question is: can I do anything about this?

Is there any way the establishment can get in trouble for allowing this behavior?

Please keep signatures short.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Strange Request: Please advise...

I used to run a roller hockey league and have reffed in those games before. Unless you have someone who is very good at subtly suggesting things talking directly with the refs won't work. Most refs think that most players are just complaining to get things their way. When the refs suck (which happens plenty) the best recourse is to talk (remember to be calm and reasoned) with the people who run the league. Bringing up concern over fights and near injuries will be strong points as leagues can lose their insurance (you should have had to sign a waiver at the start of the league, so the insurance doesn't cover you, it covers them). If the people running the league are unreasonable, or nothing changes, find out what organization the league is affiliated with and make a formal complaint with them.

Beyond that, the only other thing is to complain to the owners of the facilities you use.
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
I used to run a roller hockey league and have reffed in those games before. Unless you have someone who is very good at subtly suggesting things talking directly with the refs won't work. Most refs think that most players are just complaining to get things their way. When the refs suck (which happens plenty) the best recourse is to talk (remember to be calm and reasoned) with the people who run the league. Bringing up concern over fights and near injuries will be strong points as leagues can lose their insurance (you should have had to sign a waiver at the start of the league, so the insurance doesn't cover you, it covers them). If the people running the league are unreasonable, or nothing changes, find out what organization the league is affiliated with and make a formal complaint with them.

Beyond that, the only other thing is to complain to the owners of the facilities you use.
Thanks for the advice. I think there have been complaints before, as they brought in a special ref for a few months to "clean up the league" and he did a good job. But then once he left, they put the high school dropouts back in charge of reffing and the league has begun deteriorating again.

I know it is the players who are doing the tripping/elbows/punching etc, but there is a direct correlation between who is reffing and the amount of violence in the game.

Please keep signatures short.
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yep, when the refs don't keep things in check people get a little too intense and it just escalates. It actually helps if you've got a ref with a bit of an attitude. Not a lot, but that little bit goes a long way towards keeping the more hot-headed players in check.

I personally am a big fan of letting players know at the start of the game that players can expect a tight adherence to the rules and that if it's not the team captain or the alternate trying to get me to change my mind then penalties will be handed out. (In hockey the cap or alt are the only ones allowed to discuss things with the ref, though coaches can ask for explanations)
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart

You need 4 or more burly blokes from the Millwall part of London to stand on the sideline shouting something along the lines of "The Referee's a wanker!" or "You're going home in a f***ing ambulance!". At every football (Soccer) match I've been to including these pre-riot shennanigans, the Ref has paid absolute attention to the game, for fear of being clouted (as has happened in the past). Alas, this is professional football of course, and ref's with bad rep's don't get the good games.

Basically, its a toughie. Need to speak to those in charge, really. Football/Soccer is a contact sport that is very particular with that contact (unlike US Football or Rugby). Passion and aggression make the game beautiful, but over zealous attitudes give us people like Vinnie Jones.

As it is a company sponsored/managed team, they will be accountable to health and safety laws, so you could have a word with the H&S chap(ess) at your workplace and suggest they pay a visit. If they see its bloody silly, they can take it to the big people. Else, fake an injury (or over exaggerate it) and bring it to the peoples attention by force by uttering words like "law" and "suit" in the same breath.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

There is nothing more frustrating than bad refs. In college, the intramural director seemed shocked anytime a game got out of hand (which was often), but virtually every instance of violence could have been avoided if the refs cared even a little bit about what was going on. Our intramural director seemed to take complaints personally, maybe because he trained the refs. Talking to him was useless. I hope that your league officials are more understanding and objective than in my experience.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Have a friend bring a video camera to catch on tape/DVD the blatant violence you mentioned... along with the following non-action from the refs. And oh yeah, mention to the refs before the game that it's being taped for performance and safety review... That alone will usually make them more aware and accountable for doing their job. (but only do this AFTER having made previous attempts to discuss this with them first... if they're non-responsive to your concerns, this is the way to go.)

Bring the video evidence to the powers-that-be as indisputable evidence of the liability they're facing if the problem isn't dealt with.

Otherwise, yeah, most people will think you're simply complaining and overstating the problem.

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old May 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!

I feel your pain, Amish. As a fellow lifelong soccer player, I can understand your concerns and I'd suggest withdrawing from the league. Most indoor facilities are privately owned and can basically run things as they see fit. If the owners won't do anything, the best thing you can do is vote with your wallet, so to speak.

Good luck!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General