Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old October 18th, 2020, 12:02 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Wave 3, Hawkeye + Iceman 10/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Those look fun.

Thanks for looking.

===============

Only change here was dropping Invulnerability (and 50 points). All the non-Wrecker Crew only have a single signature power now. He's still a powerhouse in melee, but without a pseudo-Tactical Disengagement. I don't feel Invulnerability was worth 50 points on its own, even on a relatively expensive figure, which is another reason Juggernaut probably didn't need to go up the full 50, either. Once the first 50 are posted, I'll do a more in-depth points review and probably shuffle some things around.

Even less happened here. Ball and Chain was reworded, but functionally remains the same. Provides a little bit of range to the faction. Lowered 20 points because really he's a single-attack hero in most circumstances. Another comparison that makes Juggernaut seem slightly overpriced.

And... that catches us back up with the previous postings! Wave IV, and the last of the first 50, coming soon.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 18th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Wave 3 done! Piledriver + Thunderball 1

Cool. You boiled them down to their essence.
I think my favorite Hasbro card is Iron Man who is just Flying and Double Attack.
Old October 18th, 2020, 12:16 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Cool. You boiled them down to their essence.
Surprisingly a lot goes into some characters' "essence", so having some simpler, more straightforward cards is always nice.

Quote:
I think my favorite Hasbro card is Iron Man who is just Flying and Double Attack.
And I went and added Advanced Armor.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; October 18th, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old October 18th, 2020, 12:20 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I like powers as well. I think it just depends on the card and the character and the vision of the designer.

If all the cards were like Iron Man, it would be a pretty boring game.
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:25 PM

First up from the cards that didn't quite manage to get posted the first time around is... a card that wasn't actually part of Wave IV at that time anyway! At some point I finally realized there was only one character I was missing from the OG Avengers (spoiler alert for another card in this wave), so I had to make room (sadly, by moving some of my favorite cards outside the first 50) for: Ant-Man!

I'll leave the first power as a teaser for later. For now, he's an average Stealth Flyer who can bond with Insects and Arachnids. You'll have to mix-n-match with classic Heroscape for that (any SuperHeroScape™ Insects or Arachnids would be a long way off [no, Spider-Man doesn't count]). The other component to his stealth an Tiny size is, like Invisible Woman, an all-grey hit zone. Slightly less effective here since he's melee, but he could just play hard to catch while bonding with bugs. Ant-Man comes in at 130 points.

My (much) older version of Blade got NM24 certified, and this one has a lot of similarities. Silver Weapon Assault lets him attack all adjacent figures, at least. If they're all gone and the last one happened to be Undead, he can switch to utilizing the Range 4. As long as those targets are Undead, too, he can keep going. Vampire Slayer helps combo special attacks by reducing defense, and also keeps him safe from the likes of Chilling Touch. Blood Serum heals an average of 3/4 of a wound every turn, so not quite as good as Regeneration, but it can get lucky. Blade is one of my favorite designs, and comes in at 165, an odd cost for his niche nature.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 1st, 2020, 03:00 PM

Re: SuperHeroScape™: Wave IV! Ant-Man and Blade 10/25

Carnage joins the web-slingers. Symbiotic Hunger can get his Attack up to 9, but be careful, because his Defense will drop as far as 2 while you do. Just be sure to use his new strength to trigger some Maximum Carnage! If he can line his enemies up right, Carnage can get up to 4 turns in a row, with attacks of 9/8/7/6 and healing 3 wounds. Being Insane, he costs 245.

M.O.D.O.K. likes OMs. You can stick just the X on him for 6 Defense. But if you're able to load him with everything, he'll have 9/8/7/6 Defense for the round (complete happenstance it's in the same Wave as and mirrors Carnage's maximum Attack), as well as dealing up to 6 bonus wounds on rolls of 13+.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 15th, 2020, 02:54 PM

Re: SuperHeroScape™: Wave IV! Carnage & MODOK 11/1

Alright, with election week behind us, I should probably do some catching up. In addition to the usual 2 units, I'll throw in...

...Giant-Man! No longer a mystery what Ant-Man's Pym Particles can do. Each card can stand alone for 130 or 180 points, or for a grand total of 195 you can field the flexibility of switching between the two. Giant-Man brings a melee powerhouse to the equation. Between Giant Reach and Giant Swat, he has a lot of control over who he's engaging. Towering Presence makes him a bit tougher and punchier than usual.

Mystique lives up to her Tricky nature by timing her shapeshifting reveal at the worst moment for the opponent. She can replace a figure (possibly stealing a glyph) and place it within 7 spaces, possibly into a disadvantageous engagement or unfavorable terrain. Her second power continues to mimic her first once she's on the board by making it impossible for an opponent to tell if she's the right figure to shoot at.

Finally, Professor X brings the whole OG X-Men team together (yet another reason I had to make hard choices about excluding some of my favorite units from this wave and thus the first 50). He slices, he dices, he does it all... except have good stats. Telepathic Orders gives you complete OM flexibility, or alternatively bonding between Professor X and another Mutant. Mental Stun can eliminate a threat for a whole round, but with 4 Move and again weak stats, you better hope it hits. Of course, not needing clear sight can help. Telepathic Control doesn't need LoS, either, and can give you yet another turn. Just be sure to surround Professor X with enough other Telepaths to maximize his rolls.

Fun fact: Wave IV includes the four cheapest Heroes to date. Including running both Hanks at the same time, this was comes in 1300 points cheaper than the Master Set!

That leaves just 3 cards to complete the first 50. I'll share them all next week.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 22nd, 2020, 08:56 PM

Re: SuperHeroScape™: Wave IV! Giant-Man, Mystique, Professor

Rhino is, no surprise, pretty straightforward. Solid stats, up to 8 Move if it's in a straight line, up to 7 Attack (especially with the help of the straight line move), and Tough. Point him at things, smash them, and tank the return fire. He's Rhino, he knocks things down, that's what he does, that's who he is.*

Wasp made the cut to round out the OG Avengers. She's also the least expensive of the first 50. Wasp Sting lets her pack a punch against most things, despite her relatively low stats that helped keep her so cheap. For a minute Constant Movement wasn't limited to non-adjacent figures, but that meant she could solo almost any melee figure 1v1 endgame. Grey hit-zone like Ant-Man's, as well.

Finally, Wrecker, completing the Wrecking Crew at the last possible second! (If you were paying attention, you knew he and Wasp were coming, though.) He has the most Range and is the most Destructive of the bunch (when it comes to DOs). At 240 points, he brings the Crew to 840. Throw in 75 points of filler and take 'em up against the other team, the Fantastic Four!

And that's it, the first 50 are complete! I look forward to feedback, and may make changes based off those who know more than me. After this, though, I'm going to see about switching things up with something outside the usual 10-Hero Wave.

Spoiler Alert!

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 26th, 2020, 08:49 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Wave 3, Hawkeye + Iceman 10/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Invisible Woman
Very clean take, feels right for the character. I do wish the range on her normal attack and on her defensive power lined up. Maybe meet in the middle at 3 if you don't want to beef the defensive range all the way to 4? I like it when those sorts of numbers line up - makes a card easier to play, and makes the range on the defensive aura feel less gamey.
See, I'm the opposite, I like the tension. "I can shoot that guy from over here, but I also really need to be over there to protect Johnny's dumb ass..." Nothing wrong with a little attention to detail when positioning.
I hear that, but I do have a hard time keeping track of it all when the range differences feel arbitrary. And in Sue's case, I think you've got it a bit backwards; it doesn't track for me that she can protect her teammate from 2 spaces away, but she'll use the same power to go the extra mile to hit someone 4 spaces away. I'd expect the reverse, if there had to be a difference.

Quote:
Quote:
Daredevil
Feels very Daredevil, though I do question "Hear Them Coming" as a name for a power that's more about Daredevil on offense. Full-on multi-attack against Criminals/Crime Lords also might push him a bit into counter-draft territory, being a pretty significant boost in effectiveness.
Point taken on Hear Them Coming; again, all ears for suggestions. I hear you on the Criminal/Crime Lord thing, too. There are some things I like better than the previous version, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet.
I'd actually steal one of the other power titles on the card and give it to Hear Them Coming. Hear Them Coming is trading pretty heavily on his blindness/radar sense. Then retitle whichever power you stole from.

Quote:
Quote:
Thor
Dig Thor as a counter-point to Loki, and really like their d20 powers lining up at 14. The wording on the SA reads a little weird at the start to me, might need a slight tweak there.
The 14 thing wasn't even intentional, but I can pretend it was. I've messed with the wording for Mjolnir Throw probably one time too many. I think it should go back to:

All adjacent figures are affected by Mjolnir Throw. Choose a figure within 5 clear sight spaces to be affected as well. Roll 4 attack dice once for all affected figures. Thor can use Mjolnir Throw only once per round.
Yeah, that ought to work.

Quote:
Quote:
Magneto
Is the crushing damage roll optional? I'm guessing not based on the fact that only some figures you control (Mutant Outcasts) are exempted, but it doesn't have a 'must'.

Master of Magnetism feels a little fiddly to me in general, with two different d20 targets and the way DOs sort of weave in and out of the power. Took me a couple reads to get a full picture of how the power works. Not too bad to parse at the end of the day, but less elegant than most of what you're doing with these cards.
Everything is optional unless there's a "must". Saves a lot of writing "may this, may that". Certainly can't argue it isn't one of the more complex powers. Not sure if it can be reworded in any way, though, without losing something.
Could you simplify the beginning of the sentence that starts with "After moving" down to "After moving a figure or choosing a Destructible Object, ..."? If crushing damage is optional, I don't see why he needs to be unable to roll against your other Brotherhood figures. You're presumably just not gonna choose to do that anyway.

-----

Congrats on getting that first 50 out!
Old November 27th, 2020, 07:10 AM

Re: SuperHeroScape™: FIRST 50 DONE! Rhino, Wasp, Wrecker 11/

I think you are going too fast.
Sorry reading through old Sanctum posts.
Great work on these.
Old November 27th, 2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I hear that, but I do have a hard time keeping track of it all when the range differences feel arbitrary. And in Sue's case, I think you've got it a bit backwards; it doesn't track for me that she can protect her teammate from 2 spaces away, but she'll use the same power to go the extra mile to hit someone 4 spaces away. I'd expect the reverse, if there had to be a difference.
Fair point. I'll give it some more thought/testing.

Quote:
I'd actually steal one of the other power titles on the card and give it to Hear Them Coming. Hear Them Coming is trading pretty heavily on his blindness/radar sense. Then retitle whichever power you stole from.
Sounds (ha) like swapping Hear them Coming and Radar Sense might do the trick.

Quote:
Could you simplify the beginning of the sentence that starts with "After moving" down to "After moving a figure or choosing a Destructible Object, ..."? If crushing damage is optional, I don't see why he needs to be unable to roll against your other Brotherhood figures. You're presumably just not gonna choose to do that anyway.
I had realized what you were getting at and made it a must roll for non-Mutant-Outcasts. Just haven't uploaded it yet. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote:
Congrats on getting that first 50 out!
Thanks! Feels good to at least have them posted.

Quote:
I think you are going too fast.
Sorry reading through old Sanctum posts.
Great work on these.
Thanks. I realize I was posting a couple every week, but to be fair these have all been "done" for some time. I'm certainly not planning on returning to that pace with anything else I post.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 27th, 2020, 09:57 AM

All good. Just having some fun at your expense while reading posts from like 10 years ago.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations