Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Notices

Old February 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker
Legality of HeroScape emulators?

(Latest report: WotC is unable to grant me permission to share it publicly. Sorry folks!)

(Regarding the missing pics: My hoster's forwarding of gamemodel.com to ttoprpg.com is being stupid. Every link to anything inside gamemodel.com, including these pics, chops the link to point directly to www.ttoprpg.com, the home page. I'm hoping my hoster fixes their forwarding, fast. EDIT: They fixed it, hance the pics are visible again. Finally.).

I did a search but didn't find anything. If I do, I'll edit this post accordingly.

Even though I became very interested in HeroScape in December, I haven't actually played with anyone yet. A few people I chat with and own the game expressed an interest in being able to play online, so I got to work on a private little program that would allow us to represent figures, drag them around on a hex map, or count hexes as we move them, keep track of wound counters, etc.

It's coming together well, but I find myself wanting to keep adding more things, and I'm wondering how far is too far?

Just how much can be included in an emulator (rules, graphics, names) without crossing the line of legality with the copyrighted material? I haven't used any pictures directly posted by Hasbro, but I have fashioned my own with a digital camera, and I do include the names of the figures and their total life for clarity while playing. So far there is very little rules enforcement (just that figures can't occupy the same space). When I finally get 3D dice rolling, I was going to place skull and shield textures on them that I prepared from the scanned symbols from the manual, but they aren't in yet. The current lists of available figures and maps are hardcoded for now.

If anyone can provide a link that helps clarify this issue, or if you could provide a quick list of do's and dont's, I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't want the emulator to start spreading and have Hasbro come after me for hurting their profits if the emulator does its job TOO well (although I never see it handling collision detection on the figures, that's about the only thing I wouldn't bother with unless I make full 3D models of the figures, HA.).

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by Pygon; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Sometime back, Hasbro made a clever move by mentioning that all folks who are making custom add-ons for the Heroscape game system need to add a disclaimer and mantion that all rights are reserved by Hasbro. This is really the best you can do, and I wouldn't eorry too much, as all you are doing is helping the game flourish.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM

I do have a license statement in the menu saying that all names and images contain intellectual property of Hasbro and fall under their reserved copyrights.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygon
I do have a license statement in the menu saying that all names and images contain intellectual property of Hasbro.
Here's Hasbro's statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro.com
Question

What are "Custom" Heroscape figures and terrain?

Answer

HEROSCAPE has a large fan base that enjoys creating custom additions to the established universe.

Custom additions are figures and terrain that are not created or distributed by Hasbro. We do not support or suggest using custom figures on our official HEROSCAPE battlefields, and we never include them in official scenarios and battlefields. Custom additions may not be copied from genuine Hasbro HEROSCAPE product.

The HEROSCAPE name can only be used to refer to genuine Hasbro HEROSCAPE product, it must be clear that any custom additions are not created by, distributed, or endorsed by Hasbro, and the following credit line must appear: "HEROSCAPE and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro. © 2006 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved."

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Excellent, thank you.
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Darkomen57 has disabled reputation
This sounds really cool! I'm very interested in hearing updates about it.

Bitefight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido
...good grammar will get you far on this site. (at least a lot farther than the reverse).
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
Ditto

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Here are some pics that I've posted to show the players that have been interested.

Unfortunately I can't promise when or if I'll provide a public download. It runs on Windows XP and 2000 and uses OpenGL, but requires registering a few Microsoft OCX's to work. Vista may or may not run it, I haven't gotten any results from my "tester" yet. Older video cards with flaky OpenGL implementations may experience odd graphical behavior (which is a headache for me, let me tell you!).

I REPEAT: This program may not become public, and if it does I make no promises on timeline, so please - feel free to ooo and ahh if you want, but this is mostly a personal and private experiment, so please don't treat it as a public contribution... yet!

For purposes of testing I snagged the hex textures from Virtualscape. I hope to fashion my own. The maps you see are Three Fronts (mine), Electric Delta (STAROCEAN980) and Migol's Tomb from the RotV manual.

I'm continuing to add figures, and have almost got the rest of the MarvelScape figures in there.

For the most part it's just a move figures, track wounds and roll dice interface. Eventually I'd like to add army drafting, turn counters and glyphs. I also still need to implement ladders and the door (ack!) I doubt I'll do much with rules and figure ability enforcement, since that's another whole headache.

Thanks for your interest.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkomen57
This sounds really cool! I'm very interested in hearing updates about it.
It would be awesome. I can imagine having email battles with others 'scapers around the globe. That would be cool.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Darkomen57 has disabled reputation
Awww, I'm on Mac.

Bitefight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido
...good grammar will get you far on this site. (at least a lot farther than the reverse).
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkomen57
Awww, I'm on Mac.
When I read that I thought of Charlie Brown saying, "I got a rock."
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Still banging away - here's my baby, Sundered Walls (available in the 2 RotV download section - the map - NOT the program!):

I still have to add side walls to the bridges, doors and trees. Oh, and glyphs... sigh...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software