Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 9th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker
Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain - Pizza Joint

Hello again my Scape brothers and gotta be some sistas out there somewhere ..You got my attention so I gotta toss in my .50 cents ... (((NO INSULTS INTENDED TO ANYONE HERE AWESOME WORK HAS BEEN DONE AND PROPS !))))Way back in the Day 1986 used to play Battletech then Citytech, Love big blocky buildings for those maps, Giant robot battles.( used the Matchbox Robotech toys ).In fact 4 of us once made what used to be a garden into a 10 X 20 foot 3-D city map using everything from sand to bricks to make buildings used a flat shovel to make roads it was Epic. Took like a week to build got 1 game out of it and we ended up burying everything. Then I also used to play Marvel Superheroes the RPG , city battles were on flat paper maps with building heights on the corners etc. You could enter buildings but it was all RPG controlled.. Reason Im giving all this background is that I have some ideas to share with you guys on city design and fighting. Some of you have seen my cities and buildings.. and yes they are made out of LEGOs ..why 1. They are PLASTIC ..HeroScape is a Plastic world ..I have Warhammer and WH40K buildings made out of paper cardboard and foam board even have cool metal and wood objects, but my OCD attacks me when I have a plastic figure standing on metal bits !! Thus Lego buildings work with the Heroscape buildings plastic with plastic just some loss of detail tho you can add to the Legos if you want to In fact I try to use Mega Blocks for my cities as they have rough edged stone looking plastic bricks and detailing on some of their blocks and sets.
2. Kids right! YOU NEED inside of the buildings.. even if you just use printed paper grids with furniture and inner walls / cubicles drawn out ..I normally make side maps for the insides of things like towers and my Pirate ships. Removeable roofs are cool on 1 level buildings ...inside walls and all.

Dammit wife is up out of time !! had to go do things forgot what I was going on about ..

3 Flat ish storage just build flat buildings ..the multiple Marvel set buildings put together look and work well.

4 Lego/Mega blocks are the same height as HeroScape tiles so height is countable etc.

anyways here since im being pressured ...My HeroScape City 1 (2016)

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...62&oe=57D34E17

Anyways have more cool stuff but out of time sorry ....gotta go.....Look into Lego/Mega blocks we can all get them and easy to use ! could use rules most of them you already know doorways etc.

ALL ARE ONE
Old June 9th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Damn.
Looks like I am heading to Craigslist and Goodwill.

That looks way better than I could have imagined.

So much thanks for posting that.

Tornado was the Nagrub thought bubble above the head of Brunak...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:21 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here is another work-in-progress round on the stairs idea based on the variety of feedback. I am going with the 1 step per 2 hex in height on a building. So 3 steps per 1 story building.

Their is no extra movement cost for moving "up" a stair. (the same as on a ladder)

The idea is that you place the stair order markers (modeled on Grishnak's elevator markers) next to doors on the map. Then you place one of the same number on a stair card. you can move via the stair card as though the two spots on the map are connected. I wonder if this makes natural sense or requires better explanation?

Finally, in the 2-story version you can see how their are 2 flights of stairs. I imagine them wrapping around and thus you have LOS between them. Thinking as I go i might need to define the elevation count on each hex so as to allow people to determine if they are engaged.

Thoughts on any of this? This is all work-in-progress, so please don't be shy.

Staircase markers:

Staircase cards:
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

So much goodness.

Tornado was the Nagrub thought bubble above the head of Brunak...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:55 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Here is another work-in-progress round on the stairs idea based on the variety of feedback. I am going with the 1 step per 2 hex in height on a building. So 3 steps per 1 story building.

Their is no extra movement cost for moving "up" a stair. (the same as on a ladder)

The idea is that you place the stair order markers (modeled on Grishnak's elevator markers) next to doors on the map. Then you place one of the same number on a stair card. you can move via the stair card as though the two spots on the map are connected. I wonder if this makes natural sense or requires better explanation?

Finally, in the 2-story version you can see how their are 2 flights of stairs. I imagine them wrapping around and thus you have LOS between them. Thinking as I go i might need to define the elevation count on each hex so as to allow people to determine if they are engaged.

Thoughts on any of this? This is all work-in-progress, so please don't be shy.

Staircase markers:

Staircase cards:
I stewed on this all night and I think having line of sight between each flight of stairs will make things too complicated. I think I will revert back to having the stairs isolated, like an industrial staircase where each flight has walls on both sides. This will make for simpler handling.

Also, i think i am going to make all the hexes the same size. I was hoping i could scale them to make it feel like the top ones are larger, adding to the illusion of depth and making their physical relation clearer. But when doing the 3 and 4 story versions (which will be my max), it just gets to convoluted.

Any other thoughts from the peanut gallery? Is showing work-in-progress annoying? I know it is common in other forums on terrain making.
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

Well, I'm watching! Just been really busy with work. I freelance so it's either feast or famine. Right now it's feast. I'll try to give you my input as soon as I can but I agree about keeping the stairs as a straight line. I see these as only used in small buildings. Taller buildings would use the elevators.

And I'd keep all the hexes the same size as well.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Well, I'm watching! Just been really busy with work. I freelance so it's either feast or famine. Right now it's feast. I'll try to give you my input as soon as I can but I agree about keeping the stairs as a straight line. I see these as only used in small buildings. Taller buildings would use the elevators.

And I'd keep all the hexes the same size as well.
Ah, freelancing. I did that for a long time. It does fluctuate a lot. After nearly 10 years I went back in-house.

Totally agree, stairs are for shorter buildings. I was going to stop at 4 stories (which I consider an extreme). Reality is that 2 stories should probably be the max. Anything more then that and just use an elevator. The movement distance is shorter with an elevator anyway. 1 turn to get on, 1 turn to get off.

I will get another round of revision done. And once I settle on an approach I will dress up the cards to look more heroscape like.
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Ok, put some adjustments in place. I think this is conceptually rather simple now. I am dialing this back and limiting it to 2 stories of stairs. One could combine multiples of these to achieve any height of stairs. But for anything over 2 we can just use elevators, which gets units around the board faster, which imho is the goal. Slow moving maps where you spend turns just moving is boring!

So, here is the current work in progress. I am going to stew on it, try to playtest it, and then give it some nice Heroscape styles (textures, borders etc).

Old June 10th, 2016, 07:50 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great stuff here @mcmeeple . Always love to see new ideas here. +rep for the stair idea.
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:53 PM

Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain: Stairs elevators & d

I am eager to move onto finishing my mechanic shop, so I pushed the stairs to a decent spot for now. Good enough to share here. I updated the first page with the same details here.

Stairs, Elevators & Doors
Stairs, Elevators & Doors PDF Download

I am working on a mechanic shop building based on 3 modular buildings that you can combine in many ways. As a part of this I wanted figures to be able to move through the floors and out doors using stairs. With this in mind I created a small set of resources for creating stairs between floors. Between stairs, elevators and ladders we can build many routes to move around a board.

These are basically an alternative to elevators for shorter buildings. I recommend limiting them to 1 and 2 story buildings, but you can combine the cards in any way you like to create staircases as tall as you want!

This includes my own version of elevator cards. This was only for cosmetic reasons. I wanted stair and elevator cards that go together well and so I made my own. Grishnakh's rules and cards work perfect though if you already have them. Also, I liked the idea that the primary color would help players distinguish between elevators and stairs on the map.

Finally this includes a draft of my rules for doors. This is not the main focus of this resource so I just wanted to get-er-done. I will likely return to these and refine them at a latter date. I am just eager to get the mechanic shop out the door so this is me pushing forward.

The new 1 story staircase card:

2 story staircase card:

Elevator card:

The PDF download also includes markers for stair and elevator entrances plus door markers for locked and unlocked doors.
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC McMinis View Post
Great stuff here @mcmeeple . Always love to see new ideas here. +rep for the stair idea.
Thank you sir
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM

Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain: Stairs elevators & d

Papercraft AC units
Papercraft AC Units PDF Download

I wanted some AC units to put on top of my growing collection of buidings. I couldn't find anything ready to go so I made my own. This is my first stab at making anything like this (papercraft stuff), but I am happy with how it turned out! This AC unit is 1" square and 1 1/8" tall (3 hexes).

AC unit printed in black & white (color printer is out of ink today):

Full color AC unit:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles