Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Hurricane Irene

One tree fatality. Still a little windy, but no rain.
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
They didn't really overplay it because the NE coast doesn't deal with hurricanes often

I think we get quite a few hurricanes.
We have our buildings up to hurricane proof regulations, however, most of the hurricanes become tropical storms or weaker when they get to here.

But the destruction out here is unimaginable. Leaves are scattered across the street and lawns, a garbage pail is laying on its side, and 3 people lost power.

The only serious thing that happened was one person had their AC unit blow out.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I think we get quite a few hurricanes. We have our buildings up to hurricane proof regulations, however, most of the hurricanes become tropical storms or weaker when they get to here.
Well, first, they aren't hurricanes if they have decreased to a tropical storm or weaker. Almost all of those mentioned are remnants, not hurricanes.

Seriously, look at the deaths from them....

Hurricane Belle - 1976 - 1
Hurricane Gloria - 1985 - 1
Hurricane Isabel - 2003 - 1
Hurricane Frances 2004 - 1
Tropical Storm Tammy

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You can't count deaths on the strength of a hurricane. It's real easy to evacuate an area to prevent most deaths. Count the damage done, in dollars.

Hurricane Carol-1954- $460 million damages, which is about 3.7 billion dollars today, the worst hurricane to hit modern New York.
Hurricane Belle - 1976 - $257 million damages, which is about $1billion today.
Hurricane Gloria - 1985 - $300 million damages, over half a billion dollars today.
Hurricane Isabel - 2003 - minimal damages
Hurricane Frances 2004 - also minimal damages
Tropical Storm Tammy- severe flooding, millions of dollars in damages

The point of my post was mostly that we are very well prepared for hurricanes, we do deal with some big ones, not as many as the south, no, and I never said that. I did read my link before posting it, and you told me nothing I didn't know, it was mostly a joke post to begin with and also to let you know that we build to very similar regulations as Virginia does.

Old August 28th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

A great deal of flooding and power outages are happening both in the city and a little ways upstate.

Old August 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here's an interesting little read...

http://www.ibaconsultants.com/articl...ane-052809.pdf

Quote:
Effective July 2008, the New York City Council passed a new building code that recognizes the City is within a “Hurricane Prone Region.” As such, the new code mandates that new buildings be designed and constructed to withstand the force of a hurricane, which is similar to Florida’s building code.
The code has only been in place for 3 years, meaning the vast majority of New York buildings are not built to handle hurricanes.

It's been 74 years since NY has had a Cat 3, and none of their windows (in place prior to 200 that were built to code could withstand hurricane force winds (The new codes implemented in 2008 require the windows to be able to withstand a force 2x greater).

That said, I think both NJ and NY responded admirably, warning people and taking all precautions. Better to over-prepare and not need it, than to under-prepare and not be able to respond (ala New Orleans).

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The media seems to have hyped-up this storm. From what you guys have posted, it sounds like it wasn't much more than a glorified thunderstorm. They said on the news about 10 minutes ago that the President announced that it'll take weeks to cleen up the debris. Really, it's not like this was Katrina, which has taken years to clean up.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone who was in the storm.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah, it's all passed, nothing much happened besides minor coastal flooding.

Now if only the wind would stop, it's just been 30 mile per hour winds all day here, it's ruining my blinds.

Old August 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I saw a report that the flooding is really bad in southern Vermont. Hopefully ollie and others escaped without too much property damage.
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
The media seems to have hyped-up this storm. From what you guys have posted, it sounds like it wasn't much more than a glorified thunderstorm. They said on the news about 10 minutes ago that the President announced that it'll take weeks to cleen up the debris. Really, it's not like this was Katrina, which has taken years to clean up.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone who was in the storm.
That's pretty much what it is for me. There are still high winds but the rain has stopped and it's actually really refreshing outside.

Overall the main issues are power outages and flooding. In my town a lot of people are without power and some roads are closed due to fallen trees. Coastal areas around Connecticut and New York have it worse.
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

While to some of us this may appear to have just been a little thunderstorm, in reality it's a lot worse in some places and a lot better in others. For example, most of my town escaped with relatively little damage. A few power outages, some damage here and there, and cable is out in part of the town, but really it's not that bad at all.

However, I can also tell you that not a single street light is working in an adjacent town - Virtually the entire town has no power. Those that have lost power around here have been told that it will be restored in approximately one week. I can also tell you that the coast of CT got hit very, very hard.

The only people who can post here are either not on the east coast, or got pretty lucky because they still have power and cable to post about it on the internet.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; August 29th, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old August 29th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Dr Feelgood

Yeah, it hit at least 4 million people without power at one point, maybe higher.

And in case some people think some stuff's been overblown....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyO18...ature=youtu.be

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7181476_n.jpg

From all appearances it seems it hit VT fairly hard.

Last edited by jschild; August 29th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General