Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old January 9th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I am not a fan of the OR implementation in Bludgeoning Strike. It does not feel like a Heroscape card and I'm not sure that could be fixed with editing. I'm also a bit worried he is highly outclassed by other bonding options; Crixus and Valguard are very similar and a lot better. Neither of these are gamebreaking but I don't see Tetraites getting through the process as is. I'd rather he get stopped now and give him a chance to be tweaked a bit.
Two cents from a non-judge: I think this is a fair criticism. I like the idea of an Utgar gladiator; I like the idea of a unit honoring the enigmatic historic figure of Tetraides.

I would have preferred to see something in the text box completing the circle. How/why is he Utgar, if he stays that way? How is he a gladiator? It seems to me the current power is connected loosely to the mini - he's holding a hammer, therefore he has a power that is related, at least in its title, to swinging a hammer - but this mini+theme could be executed much better in the text box, IMHO.

I honor the striving and always the sharing, and I offer my thoughts only because I believe that there is something special just out of reach here. Make it happen, Sir Heroscape!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; January 9th, 2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: i'm skeptical there's anything in the current power worth saving...
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:39 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I am not a fan of the OR implementation in Bludgeoning Strike. It does not feel like a Heroscape card and I'm not sure that could be fixed with editing. I'm also a bit worried he is highly outclassed by other bonding options; Crixus and Valguard are very similar and a lot better. Neither of these are gamebreaking but I don't see Tetraites getting through the process as is. I'd rather he get stopped now and give him a chance to be tweaked a bit.
Two cents from a non-judge: I think this is a fair criticism. I like the idea of an Utgar gladiator; I like the idea of a unit honoring the enigmatic historic figure of Tetraides.

I would have preferred to see something in the text box completing the circle. How/why is he Utgar, if he stays that way? How is he a gladiator? It seems to me the current power is connected loosely to the mini - he's holding a hammer, therefore he has a power that is related, at least in its title, to swinging a hammer - but this mini+theme could be executed much better in the text box, IMHO.

I honor the striving and always the sharing, and I offer my thoughts only because I believe that there is something special just out of reach here. Make it happen, Sir Heroscape!
^This

Also from a non-judge, try to make him unique to Utgar. With his current power, he looks like a unit that could follow either Einar, Vydar, etc. Dig deeper, find a power that shows why he follows Utgar, why he's so evil, something that tells the story. It's important to establish his significance from other gladiators, even if that means going outside the box a bit, IMO.

This looks like a good start though, I've always admired this mini. Good luck!
~NS,
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:40 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Executioner 616 by @Dysole

Explosions are fun, robots are fun, and exploding robots are even more fun, right?

Wrong. Have you ever played DW7k? It’s pretty disappointing. Let’s see if Dysole’s version of robot explosions fares a little bit better.

Balance
Compared to Major J15, the executioner looks okay. He doesn’t have the autoskull against large/huge or the range attack, but he does have deadly strike, which becomes deadly on height, and the ability to explode figures from a few spaces away. We’ll see if it’s worth his 20 extra points.

Theme
Nice reuse of deadly strike here. I’m glad he’s from Isadora, he seems to fit the theme of a cruel prison guard soulborg. The differing chances of explosion based on the size of the figure is thematically workable too. And tormenting is a good personality for the playstyle and backstory of the figure.

Creativity
I think it’s about time we had a figure that can explode other robots. It’s just such a common trope that it deserves to be ported into ‘Scape. I’m impressed by the idea of changing probabilities based on the size of the figure.

Playability

Because Executioner 616 requires other soulborgs to be the most effective, it’s important to consider what kind of soulborg works the best with him. Ideally, the figure is as big as possible (bigger figure ----> bigger explosions), as cheap as possible (lower price ---> lower risk), and as melee as possible (more engaged figures ---> more exploded figures). Gladiatrons might be okay, but you want to keep them alive for your Blastatrons, so they’re not a prime target. Zettian Deathwings are cheap, but they’re small, have a powerful attack of their own, and don’t want to get engaged. Soulborg heroes are generally too expensive and worth too much while still alive. Unlike many other species, it’s hard to tell if a soulborg is “almost dead”, because they tend to die all at once. This leaves you with a few options left: Deathreavers, Deathstalkers, and Hoplitrons.

Deathreavers work pretty well, but Dysole was smart enough to let small figures only have a small chance of success. In general, although Deathreavers are cheap and thrive off engagement, there isn’t enough upside to waste a turn and a Deathreaver to try to deal a wound or two.

Deathstalkers are an intriguing option for 616. They are large, double spaced (which allows extra figures adjacent to them), and are even cheaper than Hoplitrons (33.3 pts each). Their problem is that they are too fast. Developing the Executioner early is dangerous, as it allows him to be picked off from range. Developing the Stalkers leaves them vulnerable while the Executioner moves up. While it’s enticing, Deathstalkers are not quite the best option.

Hoplitrons were my favorite to use with the Executioner. As large figures, they have a good shot of exploding correctly, and a not insignificant chance of hitting the 20 to deal 3 wounds. They have the added bonus of bonding with him, which allows you to take a turn with another Hoplitron even in a turn where you explode one, and allows you to keep 616 near his exploding targets without extra OMs. Hoplitrons + Executioner is good against swarm based armies who rely on many attacks to get through the Hops’ defense of 6. If they fail to get through that, they’re set up for a devastating explosion.

And of course, if the Executioner himself has 2 wounds and is in a bad spot, self-exploding is not a bad option.

Armies with Executioner 616 are lots of fun to play, a big risk/reward interaction. He can certainly kill his points worth, especially with a good explosion (like one time he got 3 Dreadguls and 3 wounds on Jotun by exploding a Hoplitron). There are plenty of armies that do well against Executioner armies (ranged armies, high-attack squads), but given a good matchup, Executioner is both fun and powerful, without being broken.

Summary
I loved playing the Executioner. He brings new life to some old figures (Deathstalkers), and new uses to other well-used figures (Rats and Hops). It’s a really thoughtful design, and a blast (ha, ha) to play.

I vote to induct Executioner 616 into the Soldiers of Valhalla
Old January 10th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Executioner 616 by Dysole has received 4 Yea votes to induct (Scytale, wriggz, Soundwarp SG-1, and superfrog) and moves on to final United Fanscape review.
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Amazing! Executioner 616 is easily one of my favorite SoV nominees and I'm excited to see it get the 4 votes. Hope everyone gives the latest Utgar soulborg a run.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Really cool to see this guy inducted - he looks like a tonne of fun to play! Congratulations, Dysole!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:07 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thanks

Thank you to all the judges.

~Dysole, who let out a little girlish squee when dok mentioned it before she got the chance to check online
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:21 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Congratulations Dysole! Glad I can put that extra figure to some use now. And looks like it will be quite interesting to play with!
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:58 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Though I did this already, sorry. to Tetraites again I guess, I agree with Superfrog as to the counter-intuitive nature of the part of the power being small, medium, large and the other just small and medium. I'm still just kind of meh with the whole direction honestly, and I agree with the D_S / N_S* point that it seems like there are more interesting places to take an Utgar Gladiator than 'I hit with hammer now'.

---

In other news, congrats Dysole! A very fun design there.

Apologies for the crudeness of the drawing, but the idea came to me and I wanted to strike while the iron was hot.

--

* Which sounds like a very weird alternative band. Coming to a stadium near you this summer in their 'I like rabbits and also hats' tour!

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:00 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Curse You Rep System

Someone needs to rep Soundwarp for me because that is inspired.

~Dysole, who is pretty confident she will use some variant of that the next time she plays with Executioner
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:16 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I tried, but I'm all out too.

What a good drawing. A++.
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Though I did this already, sorry. to Tetraites again I guess, I agree with Superfrog as to the counter-intuitive nature of the part of the power being small, medium, large and the other just small and medium. I'm still just kind of meh with the whole direction honestly, and I agree with the D_S / N_S* point that it seems like there are more interesting places to take an Utgar Gladiator than 'I hit with hammer now'.
Fair enough. All good points by judges and non-judges alike. Thanks all for the constructive criticisms
Back to the drawing board...

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs