Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Custom Common Hero Contest!

Thanks for the input guys, any thoughts on better wording or does it look pretty good?

With Pack Dominance I wanted to sort of limit it so that you just couldn't field a ton of these guys. Plus I like the idea of the Pack Leaders battling for the alpha position. I'd say ideally 2 of them and a couple squads of Stalkers would be what I'd use on occasion. That'd give you half the normal points to still give the rest of the army some flair.

I figured that it has a less chance to Maul but will more likely kill things outright better. At least in my experience in using Deathstalkers getting Maul to work is rare and I just wished they had more dice in general. But I do agree with you Necro if it gets off a Maul it'd be a nasty one.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation

I agree with the wording, I think it is fine the way it is and I prefer having the higher attack dice despite the maul ability. It will be a nastier ability on the rarity when it works and it will have the higher base attack for those hard targets.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeston View Post
Sorry about the incorrect drummer card. I updated it to refelct your current idea, and I took a shot at wording the second power for you in a way that might work well.

Only three (minor) critiques.

1) "Gain plus 1 range" seems redundant; "adds 1 range" would be tighter.

2) The Bonding Power should probably be worded as a Movement Bonding power - but be careful! The wording you have, when compared to other bonding powers, suggests by its name that the soldier squad gets to take a turn. HOWEVER, if you just say "Jandar Soldier Squad Movement Bonding," then you STILL imply that the squad moves first. "Reverse movement bonding" is slightly more professional than "crappy bonding" and "Mittens," so I am not sure what to call this power.
Nit-picking aside, it's a great unit!

3) I wonder if it's really worth 50 points.
  1. It's my first card, wording ain't gonna be golden
  2. Heh...guess I'll give up on my idea and go with :Jandar Soldier Bonding: whenever Drummer boy takes a turn you may take a turn with any Jandar Soldier squad
  3. Yeah, but anything higher seemed to much. Of you mean he's too expensive then think about it: He bonds with the 4th mass and gives them more range! And he adds to their defence so they can get 4 defense without height! (Assuming valiant is in place-which this guy has)
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:32 AM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Okay so this is what I came up with:

Thoughts? Opinions?

R~
I like it. My first opinion was overpowered, but the second ability really keeps it in check. Basically, you take a so-so unit and this good one and couple them. You need the average to get trhe good.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM

fil knows what's in an order marker fil knows what's in an order marker

I think as long as the Pack Dominance implies that you must have a squad of Deathstalkers to have a Pack Leader, then it's good.

Otherwise, I could see someone just picking a bunch of these guys, and for 25/per, getting an army of nasty 4/5 units, with an 8 effective range, for cheap.

Of course, the two-space figure also helps curb that particular abuse, but I felt it was worth noting.

Returns for more.

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

The pack leader really seems to work. After all, it's "sort-of" instant kill power works 1/16 of the time, which is somewhere between needing a 19 and a 20 on a d20.

I see the point about the Drummer Boy's cost, though I still think 40-45 points would work better.

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
I think as long as the Pack Dominance implies that you must have a squad of Deathstalkers to have a Pack Leader, then it's good.

Otherwise, I could see someone just picking a bunch of these guys, and for 25/per, getting an army of nasty 4/5 units, with an 8 effective range, for cheap.

Of course, the two-space figure also helps curb that particular abuse, but I felt it was worth noting.
Having to buy a new terrain pack just to get the common figure also curbs it

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Having to buy a new terrain pack just to get the common figure also curbs it
Heh, but no one really buys the Forgotten Forest for the Dumetef. It could also be in a wave pack like Knights and Swog Rider although I feel gipped getting only 4 figures in a wave pack.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
9 effective range.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

OK, I got my official entry put together.

What do you think of the modifications? Again he is modeled after the Swog and Dumutef. What do they get for 25 points?

Swog
One high stat - move
One support ability - orc archers
One self-help ability - disengage
BONUS - he bonds

Dumutef
One high stat - attack
One support ability - devourers
One self-help ability - road strength
BONUS - above average defense

Skald
One support ability - warrior inspiration
One self-help ability - berserker charge

Now the Skald doesn't have one high stat point, but I think the groups he bonds with make up for that fact. He could be given 4 attack, which would give him interesting uses if you rolled for the berserker charge. Or maybe he just needs to be 20 instead of 25 points...

Suggestions?

And a question. Does his common status make Berserker charge confusing? It doesn't seem so to me, but I'm not very good at rules critiquing. (as evidenced by the fact that most custom units i make use modifications of old abilities)
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
OK, I got my official entry put together.

What do you think of the modifications? Again he is modeled after the Swog and Dumutef. What do they get for 25 points?

Swog
One high stat - move
One support ability - orc archers
One self-help ability - disengage
BONUS - he bonds

Dumutef
One high stat - attack
One support ability - devourers
One self-help ability - road strength

Skald
One support ability - warrior inspiration
One self-help ability - berserker charge

Now the Skald doesn't have one high stat point, but I think the groups he bonds with make up for that fact. He could be given 4 attack, which would give him interesting uses if you rolled for the berserker charge. Or maybe he just needs to be 20 instead of 25 points...

Suggestions?

And a question. Does his common status make Berserker charge confusing? It doesn't seem so to me, but I'm not very good at rules critiquing. (as evidenced by the fact that most custom units i make use modifications of old abilities)
Berzerker charge is a little confusing to me. Can you move any unit again, or just the one that already moved?
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
Berzerker charge is a little confusing to me. Can you move any unit again, or just the one that already moved?
Well, I intended it to be just the viking that already moved. That is not how the Venoc and Aubriens work, but when you frenzy, you are taking another turn. Also, the word again indicates to me that the Skald that has already moved is the only one that this power applies to. I think that's reasonable, but rules experts might say I'm making too many assumptions.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games