Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: Custom Common Hero Contest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
However, I'm going to disagree with him that this is contrary to the spirit of a common hero. I actually think it's sort of clever. And, who knows ... we may see something like this from an official unit one day. I could see that. But I bet they won't get to add dice to their attacks when they do it.
This entry has the same quirk as Eckels' Wild Dog. It does blur the line between hero and squad, since the Zettians are a 2-figure squad, and the rest have three or four. I'm not saying it will be a death sentence, but I will have to see what the other judges say. Before asking them, I am thinking that perhaps it could be like a Hive Mind ability - roll to see how many you can activate. Otherwise, an Arrow Volley type power that lets you move one and have attack support from others, might work really well too.

For both entries, having some kind of bonding might make it fit better in the HS theme.

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Looking over the entries, I have mixed feelings about the number of Utgarians. The only two common heroes in the game so far fight for Utgar, we need some for someone else. On the other hand, there are only 8 out of 20 entries for him, which I suppose could be worse, given how he's far and away the general with the most units. Anyway, I'm not a judge and this has no bearing on anything. Merely observation.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM

keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby!

Bonding might help, I'm just having trouble thinking of who a Nazi trooper would bond with.
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Looking over the entries, I have mixed feelings about the number of Utgarians. The only two common heroes in the game so far fight for Utgar, we need some for someone else. On the other hand, there are only 8 out of 20 entries for him, which I suppose could be worse, given how he's far and away the general with the most units. Anyway, I'm not a judge and this has no bearing on anything. Merely observation.

I agree that it's nice to have something other than Utgar, but I don't want to penalize anyone for doing what "feels right." Some, like the Hive Node, are really about the units with which they have synergy, and not Utgar per se, which gives them plenty of flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetacongoo View Post
Bonding might help, I'm just having trouble thinking of who a Nazi trooper would bond with.

That's a good point. However, as a Soldier, he gets a few clear bonuses from Marcus. Perhaps having Marcus in your army is enough to make these guys work well.

Looking at the Rocket Special Attack, it seems that there are a few points I would fix. First, why no explosion (affects figures adjacent to the target)? Second, why is it more powerful than Zelrig's, DW9K's, etc.? Third, you can simply say that he is affected by his own attack, much like DW9K is affected by Explosion Special Attack, instead of saying that he cannot be adjacent to the target (presumably, because the rocket would blow up in his face).

Old May 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
This entry has the same quirk as Eckels' Wild Dog.
Yes, it does. I rather liked that one too.

(BTW, Eckels: What figure are you using for that?)

Quote:
It does blur the line between hero and squad, ...
Yes, but then so do Q9 and Q10, and they're certainly official. The fact that the Majors are beefy heroes who get to attack like squads is what makes them so effective (and desireable in tourneys).

Quote:
Before asking them, I am thinking that perhaps it could be like a Hive Mind ability - roll to see how many you can activate.
That's not a bad idea either.

Quote:
Otherwise, an Arrow Volley type power that lets you move one and have attack support from others, might work really well too.
The thing I don't like about that is that you have to include the "on the same level" restriction to avoid questions of whether height advantage applies. Letting them be separate attacks avoids all that.

Quote:
For both entries, having some kind of bonding might make it fit better in the HS theme.
Enh. IMHO, bonding can be overdone. Besides, we don't have any common heroes who have bonding (true, Swog Riders can be the recipients of bonding, but that's different), so I'm not sure that bonding makes it more "heroscapey" anyway.
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM

keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby!

I'm thinking that warlord bonding could help my figure. That is, after changing around the Arrack barrage ability. I think I might make rocket an explosion, with 2 attack. We'll see how it comes out.
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
The thing I don't like about that is that you have to include the "on the same level" restriction to avoid questions of whether height advantage applies. Letting them be separate attacks avoids all that.
You don't have to include, "on the same level." You can simply say that if they are within 5 spaces of the target, you can add to the attack.

Old May 4th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
You don't have to include, "on the same level."
No, I suppose you don't have to, but all the other combined attacks (Roman archers, zombies, etc) have it, and if I was going to do a combined attack, I'd definitely put it in there.

OTOH, if keetacongoo goes with making it an explosion attack, then it becomes a special attack, and the point is moot. (Although it seems a shame for a "mountain ranger" not to get a height bonus.)

BTW, keetacongoo: One thing I forgot to put into my suggested wording is to make sure that the other guys have line-of-sight to the target, so when you revise again, don't forget to address that. Obviously it wouldn't make sense to allow an attack from a ranger who happened to be on the other side of a ruin or something.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM

RennixTheThf has disabled reputation

ok i made card but dont know how to put it on here so here is the stats

Vydar Thief
1 life
6 move
7 range
0 attack
3 defence

Human
Common Hero
Tricky
Earth
Medium 4

Specials:
Aura Steal:
Roll the 20-sided die if you roll a
1-14 nothing happens
15-19 Choose any 1 added bonus marker or spirts on target figure and put it on Vydar Thief.
20 Pull all Bonus markers and Spirts on Vydar Thief

Tricky Army Bonus:
Add 2 attack die to Vydar Thief's attack roll if all units in your army are tricky

points 35
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Looking over the entries, I have mixed feelings about the number of Utgarians. The only two common heroes in the game so far fight for Utgar, we need some for someone else.
I've been think this as well so I'm changing my entry...

I think she looks better here.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
This entry has the same quirk as Eckels' Wild Dog.
Yes, it does. I rather liked that one too.

(BTW, Eckels: What figure are you using for that?)
Thanks

I don't have a figure for it, so I've been using Nagrubs as Proxies. Rats would work fine too. They have the same height and shape.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennixTheThf View Post
ok i made card but dont know how to put it on here so here is the stats

Vydar Thief
1 life
6 move
7 range
0 attack
3 defence

Human
Common Hero
Tricky
Earth
Medium 4

Specials:
Aura Steal:
Roll the 20-sided die if you roll a
1-14 nothing happens
15-19 Choose any 1 added bonus marker or spirts on target figure and put it on Vydar Thief.
20 Pull all Bonus markers and Spirts on Vydar Thief

Tricky Army Bonus:
Add 2 attack die to Vydar Thief's attack roll if all units in your army are tricky

points 35
I do like what you are trying to accomplish. I have some major issues, though.

#1 If your opponent isn't using the Viking Champions, this figure is useless. Plus, the high point (a result of 20 on the die) of his power only works if the same card has at least two of the three Viking Champions.

#2 Why does he have such a high Range, if his Attack is zero? Give him Attack 1, and issue #1, above, is reduced.

#3 He is very easy to kill, with 3 Defense and no special defensive powers.

#4 He is common, so how can he have the Champions on his own card?

I would like to suggest something about stealing auras like Raelin's but that can be both too powerful. Perhaps he can negate auras, like those of the Champions and Raelin/Taelord etc.?

I like the fact that you chose a specific type of power to steal; it's just too limited, IMO. I am not sure how to fix the character, although I suggest raising his Attack to 1, giving him a Range of 5 or 6, perhaps, giving him some sort of Stealth or Disappear ability, and really rethink the main power.

I really like the general concept! It's just a very difficult one to figure out, and I don't pretend to have the answer at the moment.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games