Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Is Heroscape a collectable game?
Yes 36 49.32%
No 37 50.68%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvblair
I'm dense. What's the link between official tournament structures and collectibility?
CMG's use the tournament system as a method to drive sales. Without a tournament system in place there is no evidence that Hasbro is pushing any kind of CMG style marketing. Providing product and hoping people buy it, does not make a game a CMG.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
We are at the beginning. Look a few years down the road and you will see what's coming.
I find this statement humorous.

Anyway, there is truly no evidence that Heroscape bears any resemblance to a CMG at all, especially without a tournament structure to drive it. Phasing out an older master set for a new one is no different than coming out with a new and improved Monopoly, or Upwords. Do they want it to sell? Yep!! Do you have to buy it to play? Nope! Competitive? Heroscape is not affiliated with any formal competitive format. New units desireable? Sure! They add variety!!
Monopoly...Upwords... I really don't think coming out with a new set of upwords creates an after market for old tiles. I think you'll have to give me that HS is different from these games. Don't believe me. Look up Monopoly on ebay...

Not sure why the statement is so humorous. I hope I'm wrong, but I can only forsee HS getting more collectible AND I think I've put together a clear and concise argument as to why. The fact that you refuse to believe me, again, does not make me wrong.

And if the game becomes more collectible...then I guess I'll spend more money on it...unless they tank it.

And Star Wars action figures also have no competive format...its not even a game...and they are still collectible.

BTW, how was the Monopoly booth at GENCON. Did you pick up the exclusive top hat? I'm having to pay big bucks on ebay for mine.

Adam

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker
Okay...its just too damn funny!

I hear the new expansion for Upwords is coming out. I can finally get more "z"s!!!

I love you GrungeBob.

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

Check me out here:

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It is a collectable game, it has minitures , but it is not a collectiable miniture game?

I can live with that, It may not have blind purschases, so if that is needed to be a CMG, then it doesn't count, but the fact that they don't carry everything they sell for the game is making me think they want it to be a collectable game. If I was selling such a kick butt game and I saw the insane prices on E-bay I would would double what I was going to order ( have made ), and make sure we stocked everything on our website, so you don't help turn it into a collectable game.
Oh did I say collectable, see to me that would mean something that you can get but because it is so hard to find( limited suppy ) and you really want it ( you want it in your collection )you are willing to pay more for it. Or something that they don't make anymore ( nerak,EOV,etc ) and people want, and are willing to pay big $ for.

GB - IMO, the simpons or LOTR monopoly would be the collectors edition of that game, not the original that is still for sale just as it has always been. They have made hundreds of different monopoly's that are not being printed or made anymore, but the original is around for the long haul. But phasing out the original set is way different, you are taking away a lot of cards, that will not be available unless your a collector and want to buy them on e-bay at an inflated price. Hence Me thinking that down the long road it will need a name for a new type of collactable game
Collectable Miniture games that do not use blind purchases
CMGTDNUBP ------Yea I play CMGTDNUBP games! ( or is that incorrect since the G stands for Game ). If that takes I am so taking credit for it!

If people are collecting it, it is collectable. I have friends who have bought stuff and don't play, they just think the figures look cool. There are people who collect the terrian to use in RPG's.
Check out the threads on your terrian count from you heroscape collection, or the figure count -( ask the people in the top 25 postions if they think the game is collectable ?) kinda still sounds like a collectable game to me.
The very nature of the common squad makes it a collectable game. If I play the game I have 1 or 2 squads of a common, your favorite maybe 3 or 4. Now for the collector of the game you have 5 of each one, maybe 7 or more of your favorite commons. To really get the most bang for you buck ( or points ) the more of the same common squad you have the better off you will do with them because of the reinforcment factor of bringing up new troops verses having to use your squad short a man or 2 or 3. 28 MM is nothing to laugh at, but you have to have a pretty big collection to field that army.

So it is not a CMG
It is a colletable game with minitures, IMO

A game like monopoly is not a collectable game, in the sense you buy
it, that is it you never buy anything else ( unless you lose something, dog eats something, family member eats something ,etc. ). Having a game where they are always coming out with new stuff that is an extension of the game, makes it a collectable game, cause if you want to keep up with the game you have to keep collecting all the new stuff ( I could play on our old family monopoly board that is over 30 years old, and it has all the same stuff as the new one I could go buy right now , I don't have to collect stuff to play the up-to-date game), which is what I love about the game, it is ever evolving into something new, think how much of a stink Q-9 has made being such a powerhouse.

I have no clue what the industry term for a Collectable Game is, but HS would fit in my description, and it has minitures!

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:20 PM

ezekiel has disabled reputation
OK, on the boxes of boosters, it says "Collect the other X # of characters in this set" That makes it collectable IMO.

naboota itchy nub nub- Chewbacca hoo ha

In memoriam of Deannie-April 17, 2007
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM

mal1980 has disabled reputation
other than the exclusives its not collectible, and the argument about not finding what you want in the store is no excuse, other than the currently out of stock jandars oath, everything (other than exclusives) can be purchased through hasbro or amazon. thats why the people who have complete collections have them, i know alot of my expansions came from there. so i think distribution is just fine

2 ms, 2 fota, 2 vw, 2 rttff, 1 tt, wave1-6, 5 flagbearers, eov's, sir hawthorne, nerak.....awaiting wave 7 and sotm
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:41 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Heroscape....Eh, easily collected collectible?

col·lect·i·ble
–adjective 1. capable of being collected.
–noun 2. an object suitable for a collection, originally a work of fine art or an antique, now including also any of a wide variety of items collected as a hobby, for display, or as an investment whose value may appreciate.

I'd say HS fits in that catagory, but not in the Wizkid/Wizards blind purchase with rares that help you dominate the game.

I collect them, some of my heroscape figures collect dust. Exclusives, repaints and printed cards work fine for me. Kenjib did a fantastic repaint job, so did Funrun and many others. I think the true collectors with the "must have" personalities make it what it is. But the demand is great and the supply is low. {shrugs}

I'm stepping out now.....
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Flunked Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
OK, on the boxes of boosters, it says "Collect the other X # of characters in this set" That makes it collectable IMO.
So...Hasbro intended for us to collect it? They would NEVER do something like that.

Check me out here:

Old April 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM

theats has disabled reputation
GOTA CETCH EM ALL!!

Theophilus.
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ezekiel,

I am heading to tampa next month, my wife has 2 sisters and a brother there, who I am getting hooked on Heroscape, I have bought them all lots of stuff for HS, My niece and nephew are already hooked, they love it when I show up, lots of Heroscape, football, and Basketball, but for me the Heroscape is the best part.
I usually hook up with Kenntack for a few games when in tampa , but if your interested in a few games PM, or let me know, always looking gfor new gamers as we are traveling.

Hendal

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM

theats has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal
Ezekiel,

I am heading to tampa next month, my wife has 2 sisters and a brother there, who I am getting hooked on Heroscape, I have bought them all lots of stuff for HS, My niece and nephew are already hooked, they love it when I show up, lots of Heroscape, football, and Basketball, but for me the Heroscape is the best part.
I usually hook up with Kenntack for a few games when in tampa , but if your interested in a few games PM, or let me know, always looking gfor new gamers as we are traveling.

Hendal
near clear water? my uncle the youth pastor at a church out there.

Theophilus.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion