Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Trying your hand at Shades

Due to the somewhat popularity of my "Trying your hand at DW9k" I've decided to continue this series with Shades. The army must contain anywhere from 1-3 squads of shades and be within 500 point limits. No starting zone restraints. The Shades must be a useful squad in this army(useful is anyway you deem fit, not necessarily offensive)

This time the rules are:

Nothing Undead besides the Shades of Bleakwoode(Seduma, PK's, Zombies)
No defense or attack boosting figures(like Raelin or Finn, but self boosters will slide like Iron Golem).
Nothing may be at or go over 150 points(No Q9, Big Dragons, etc.)

Here is my army for you guys...

Shadesx2
Cuttersx3
Mogrimm
Guilty

The Shades threaten Heroes and grab glyphs. Cutters act as heavy assault force with Mogrimm pulling out the occasional commander's strike and dealing damage. That +3 initiative and free shield help you out. Guilty cleans up.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Trying your hand at Shades

200 Shades x 2
180 Wyrmlings x 6 (4 Red, 2 Black)
120 Hydra

Lead with Wyrmlings to clear the way for Hydra/Shades.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

airborne elite 110

syvarris 100

shades x3 300

this is a horrible army i think but it would be fun to use them like really expensive rats.

stingers>everything else
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!

I've been thinking about combining the Shades with Tandros in order to force my opponent to attack someone else while I get in position to Soul Shackle. Just a thought...

1x Eldgrim
2x Knights of Weston
1x Tandros Kreel
2x Shades of Bleakwoode
490pts

Lead with bonded Eldgrim and the Knights, then put Eldgrim's spirit on Tandros for extra mobility. Finish with Tandros and the Shades.

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!

Last edited by AnubianWolf88; August 17th, 2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: ~Actually thought of an army that might make this work
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I've been kicking around this themed army lately.

Shades x2 - 200
Phantom Knights x4 - 480, 18 hexes

Shades excel against heroes and Phantoms provide some support against ranged squads. Good defense and mobility all around. I like it better at 550 with another PK squad.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I've been kicking around this themed army lately.

Shades x2 - 200
Phantom Knights x4 - 480, 18 hexes

Shades excel against heroes and Phantoms provide some support against ranged squads. Good defense and mobility all around. I like it better at 550 with another PK squad.
Close by no cigar killercactus.

Quote:
This time the rules are:

Nothing Undead besides the Shades of Bleakwoode(Seduma, PK's, Zombies)
No defense or attack boosting figures(like Raelin or Finn, but self boosters will slide like Iron Golem).
Nothing may be at or go over 150 points(No Q9, Big Dragons, etc.)

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Blah - does Torin count as a defense boosting figure?

Torin - 120
Stingers x3 - 300
Shades x2 - 500, 17 hexes

Torin can protct the Shades before they fly in to engage and the Stingers after. If Torin isn't allowed:

Deathwalker 9000 - 140
Zettian Guards - 210
Warden 816 - 300
Shades x2 - 500, 10 hexes

Set up the 9K/Zettians pod to draw in the opponent. If they bring in a hero, jump on them with the Shades. I like this at much better with Marrden Hounds though.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I could go

Both of those armies are allowed killercactus. I like the Deathwalker one personally, but I think the Stingers one will be deviously strong. Don't forget that Torin can handle himself in a fight with high defense squaddies.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

With the advent of the Phantom Knights, I can't really see myself using Shades unless I knew there would be some strong heroes on the other side. They really have become a true counterdraft unit, filling a very specific niche. No longer are they the only fast stealth flying squad; that role has been given to the PKs.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
With the advent of the Phantom Knights, I can't really see myself using Shades unless I knew there would be some strong heroes on the other side. They really have become a true counterdraft unit, filling a very specific niche. No longer are they the only fast stealth flying squad; that role has been given to the PKs.
I agree - that's why I want to try using them together. It's hard to justify Shades unless you already have PK's, and they kind of cover each other well.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I agree - that's why I want to try using them together. It's hard to justify Shades unless you already have PK's, and they kind of cover each other well.
Hard but not impossible. This thread is only meant to see what you guys think would be cool ideas for the Shades(with the purposely put stipulation of no Undead stuff). If you don't like the Shades, you don't have to use them.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion