Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:45 AM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Unit Strategy Review: How to use the Zombies of Morindan

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
So this thread mentions that Zombies Rise Again does not work against Large or Huge figures. Now that there are Zombie Hulks shouldn't that statement be adjusted? Bringing back a Zombie Hulk off of killing Nilfiem made a huge difference in my favor at a tourney I took Zombies to.
Well, considering the title of this thread is How to use the Zombies of Morindan, and not Guide of Zombies Galore, I would say no.
Old February 1st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
So this thread mentions that Zombies Rise Again does not work against Large or Huge figures. Now that there are Zombie Hulks shouldn't that statement be adjusted? Bringing back a Zombie Hulk off of killing Nilfiem made a huge difference in my favor at a tourney I took Zombies to.
Well, considering the title of this thread is How to use the Zombies of Morindan, and not Guide of Zombies Galore, I would say no.
And this is in the classic section, not the customs.
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Love these guys; best moment of all time happened a few years ago. My opponent had a Deathwalker 9000, I had one Zombie adjacent to him. He decides, what the hec, I'll use my explosion SP attack on him. He rolls 1 Skull. I roll 1 shield. Deathwalker rolls...0 shields. My buddy stares in disbelief. LOL!! Bye bye, tin can...

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Love these guys; best moment of all time happened a few years ago. My opponent had a Deathwalker 9000, I had one Zombie adjacent to him. He decides, what the hec, I'll use my explosion SP attack on him. He rolls 1 Skull. I roll 1 shield. Deathwalker rolls...0 shields. My buddy stares in disbelief. LOL!! Bye bye, tin can...
Why would he ever do that? You get 1 less attack die plus you have to defend.
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Why would he ever do that? You get 1 less attack die plus you have to defend.
Lol I have no freakin' clue...But it was still memorable! He just underestimated himself badly! Haha

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:39 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

One army I have found extremely successful is:
Airborne Elite-110
Raelin-80
Isamu-10
Zombiesx5-300
Total: 500/21 spaces
This army is very similar to the first sample army.
Basically, use the Airborne to get rid of your opponent's range. I think ranged figures are the largest counters to zombies, so that's my reasoning on targeting ranged figures first (Krav would be a problem). Other primary targets would be the counters listed in the review. After the ranged units/ biggest threats are assassinated by the Airborne, 15 zombies backed by Raelin should hold their own, munching along the way to victory.
Old October 14th, 2019, 01:26 PM

eMCee64 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

Against squad figures or 1-life heroes:
  • Onslaught will cause more kills on average than three attacks of 2 against figures with 4 or more defense.
  • Onslaught will cause more kills on average than two attacks of 2 and one attack of 3 against figures with 5 or more defense.
  • Onslaught will cause more kills on average than one attack of 2 and two attacks of 3 against figures with 7 or more defense.
  • Onslaught will cause more kills on average than three attacks of 3 against figures with 8 or more defense.
Against multi-life heroes:
  • Onslaught is always better than 3 attacks of 2.
  • Onslaught is stronger than two attacks of 2 and one attack of 3 against heroes with 2 defense or better.
  • Onslaught is stronger than one attacks of 2 and two attack of 3 against heroes with 3 defense or better.
  • Onslaught is stronger than three attacks of 3 against heroes with 4 defense or better.
Asking for help here ... probabilities are not my strong suit.
What is the math supporting these conclusions from Sisyphus' tables?

Is there ever a scenario where the probabilities would ever suggest that you not use Onslaught? (please show your work)

For example ... three zombies on high ground against a 1-life squaddie with 2 defense dice each have a 62.5% chance of scoring a hit with the average damage being 0.958 each. It's not bad, but ... if they use Onslaught their chance jumps to 90.6% with average damage of 2.354.

I just can't find a situation where Onslaught isn't ALWAYS the right choice.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old October 14th, 2019, 03:37 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Math Time

Sure. So with a 1 life figure, average damage isn't useful to you. The way to calculate the odds of killing it is 1-(probability it survives). Attack of 3 vs 2 kills the figure 62.5% of the time. So it has a 37.5% chance of surviving 1-(0.375^3) equals ~95% so this means 95% of the time the figure dies to 3 attacks of 3. Onslaught being a 6 vs 2 will kill the figure 90.6% of the time. So it's better to not use onslaught there.

~Dysole, hoping the explanation helps
Old October 14th, 2019, 05:06 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMCee64 View Post
I just can't find a situation where Onslaught isn't ALWAYS the right choice.
Thanks in advance for the help.
3 zombies against 3 vipers
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMCee64 View Post
For example ... three zombies on high ground against a 1-life squaddie with 2 defense dice each have a 62.5% chance of scoring a hit with the average damage being 0.958 each. It's not bad, but ... if they use Onslaught their chance jumps to 90.6% with average damage of 2.354.
Since we're talking about a squad figure average damage is irrelevant. All that matters is the chance of getting a kill.

So, onslaught gives a 90.6% chance of getting the kill. Each individual attack of 3 only gives a 62.5% chance... but you get three tries. The chance of at least one of the three of them hitting is 1 - (1-.625)^3 = 94.7%, which is higher than onslaught.

And that's only the relevant analysis if you only have a single target available. If you had 3 targets available, then onslaught kills .906 squaddies on average, while normal attacks would kill 1.875 on average - more than twice as many. It's not even close.

Last edited by dok; October 16th, 2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old October 29th, 2019, 11:43 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

Sounds like this is another army that can be played by a flow chart in all seriousness I love zombies.
Old November 11th, 2019, 01:03 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

Father of Julian gave me a run for my money with this squad! Do not underestimate the zombies! Play it smart and never let them get height on you. Prioritize whittling down groups of 3 into groups of 2 so they can't onslaught you. Most importantly, remember you haven't beat this army until -all- of the zombies are dead!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles