Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Command & Colours/Memoir 44 rumour ...

Days of Wonder, the publishers behind Memoir 44, have been dropping hints for a while that they have a new game "system" ready for release in a month or two (likely to be at the Essen Games Fair in Germany, mid-October).

The serious money is on that system being a fantasy version of Richard Borg's Command & Colours game - Battle Cry, Memoir '44 and C&C: Ancients having previously been published.

I'm expecting something with more unit variety than Memoir '44, but less ancillary fiddliness than Ancients.

Of course it will still be open to the (fair) criticism that it's more "game" than "wargame", but it's bound to be good enough that I will have yet another plastic addiction to try to battle against.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
Re: Command & Colours/Memoir 44 rumour ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
Of course it will still be open to the (fair) criticism that it's more "game" than "wargame", but it's bound to be good enough that I will have yet another plastic addiction to try to battle against.
If its anything like Memoir, then you are most definitely correct. Fantasy themed? Hmm....
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM

Dreaded Gazebo has disabled reputation
I saw mention of this the other day and I'm really hoping it's true. I've always been interested in Memoir '44 but the theme doesn't hold much appeal for any of my friends. A fantasy-based wargame, though, would be right up their alley. Looking forward to more info...
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
If the rumor is true and DoW does make a Fantasy based Memoir/CnC:A, then the bits will be very nice. They don't hold back on the chrome.

Newb.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Where do I send my money? I want to pay them and I want my fantasy Battlecry!!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:00 AM

Logrey has disabled reputation
Great! I was just thinking that I needed *another* board game, with expansions. I'll add this to my colleciton - along with Heroscape, Heroquest, Mage Knight Dungeons, Runebound, Wizard Kings, Descent, Memoir 44, C&C Ancients, Dungeoneer (hell - I'm sure I've got more that I can't think of right now..)

Of course, I'm kidding, and I'll totally pick this up. I love this system. My hope? Historically, the previous versions lent themselves to a one-on-one system. I'd like to see something for the 2-5 player crowds.

For those who like a little proof with their rumors, this link was posted over at the Geek. It's a patent for the name - so at least the "Battlelore" name is real:

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=78891722
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I will definately be keeping my out for this one.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ooh, that's full-on drool-worthy. That would be fun. But I can't see Richard Borg making it - he's a serious historian, and knows a huge amount of military history. He builds his scenarios to be historically accurate, often with little concern for balance. I guess I don't see him making a fantasy wargame.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

Logrey has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Ooh, that's full-on drool-worthy. That would be fun. But I can't see Richard Borg making it - he's a serious historian, and knows a huge amount of military history. He builds his scenarios to be historically accurate, often with little concern for balance. I guess I don't see him making a fantasy wargame.
According to insiders, Borg has been shopping this one around for years. (apparently, he has a Napolean version as well).

For more info, there's a long discussion at BoardGameGeek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122882
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well, in the words of Popeye, blow me down. I'm surprised and delighted. I mean, I know Borg has done a whole hell of a lot of games outside the C&C system, but I am surprised he would do a fantasy version. Napoleonic - that doesn't surprise me at all.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I've been somewhat critical of the Memoir 44 series, and am in the process of selling my copy....I bought it used, so I should be able to get back what I paid for it, if not a little more.

That said, I'm interested to see what this is all about. The Memoir 44 system, with some tweaks here and there, still has potential I think. 44 wasn't my thing, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM

cavie Woo who?
I played Memoir 44 for the first time today. I like the game and I'm excited for Battlelore (I figure there will be similarities). I must say though, I do appreciate HeroScape much more - after playing on the Memoir board and bumping those hexes around and using the pieces that all look the same I found myself wanting to get my HS stuff out. I think I will.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games