Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old December 2nd, 2022, 02:29 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: AOA: Playing The New Factions

The AOA Proxy Play Project Update

Based on material in the NO POSTING THREAD (NPT), which collects all the useful information available to us besides what is on the official Haslab Age of Annihilation offering page and Anitar's posted Classic style cards, my project folder now includes:

1. The NPT alphabetical list of all AOA Characters, with Build Points added.

2. A list of these cards by faction, with the number of Build Points, number of figures, and number of spaces (hexes) they take up as well, which I made up.

3. A list of the AOA Glyphs with their effects. Anitar has now done Glyph Cards for all except the two we already have in previous sets.

4. The First Scenario: "Player Creation Battlefield." This is a two player board made up of 24 hexers, with a number of other terrain pieces which are added in pairs by the players after the armies and glyphs are set up, but before the game begins.

5. A note about the particular scenario use of the "Illusory Walls" idea floated for the new AOA wall sections--they block Line of Sight but not movement.

This is what is available for you here in the new Age of Annihilation section of the site, if you want to play AOA Proxy.

In addition, the "AOA Proxy Model" thread in the "Official Units" heading in this site section features thread posts for many actually available "recommended" minis for many of the AOA figures. One person is even specifically 3D printing minis for these characters there! (For copyright purposes, these must be different from the original Hasbro minis, but they are very close). I'll play my first Proxy games using just the many figures I own here as proxies for the AOA card figures.

If you have anything to add to this list, please do!
Old December 3rd, 2022, 08:50 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

AOA Cards Printed Out!

I've now printed out all of Anitar's Classic Format cards: Revealed, Unrevealed (Her Customs) and Glyph Cards. She hasn't done the 5 SOTM Heroes, just yet, and I may take a cut at them myself. My first Proxy Play session is now scheduled for next Friday with Taeblewalker, and we'll use the Offical AOA First Scenario Map. We may even put in some Illusory Walls (block Line of Sight but no Movement penalty).

You can print them out using the Thread Tools and the Printable Copy commands up above her threads for revealed and unrevealed. I'm printing them at 63%, which is almost indistinguishably smaller than the official card size. Next I'll cut them out and sleeve them.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 03:45 PM

I've posted up my new untested personal customs for the five SOTM Heroes that were to have been the Stretch Goals (!) for the Haslab AOA Offering. You can see them here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=61628

They were fun to design, and stand ready to take their place on battlefields of Scape! I built on the older figures based on the minis and other hints mentioned on the offerings page and the site here.
Old December 4th, 2022, 08:42 AM

So far only Anitar and I have posted custom cards for AOA, and I'm the only person I know of who has discussed how I am going to play it. But the huge activity on the Mini Proxy Model thread seems to indicate that lots more Scapers want to play "Proxy AOA."

Ironically, since Heroscape is only a part of my gaming hobby activity--but physically and emotionally one of the largest parts--I myself don't plan for now to spend money on these great proxy figures found on that thread. But good luck to those assembling figures for the new factions. I'll be making do with the many figures I've got around here for now.

Perhaps others are not going to post their own card versions until after they've been tested. Or people are still in shock over the failure of the Haslab offering, and hoping we'll hear of some new version of it, despite what Hasbro/Avalon Hill has said about that not happening.

I'll be looking forward to my own playtest sessions coming up in a week or so. And further input on my customs is always welcome on those threads! I hope they will be useful for people designing their own.

I'd love to hear from more of you Out There about picking up the pieces (literally) of the failed Haslab offering and moving on with it!

Last edited by chas; December 4th, 2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 4th, 2022, 12:01 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
So far only Anitar and I have posted custom cards for AOA, and I'm the only person I knopw of who has discussed how I are going to play it. But the huge activity on the Mini Proxy Model thread seems to indicate that lots more Scapers want to play "Proxy AOA."

Ironically, since Heroscape is only a part of my gaming hobby activity--but physically and emotionally one of the largest parts--I myself don't plan for now to spend money on these great proxy figures found on that thread. But good luck to those assembling figures for the new factions. I'll be making do with the many figures I've got around here for now.

Perhaps others are not going to post their own card versions until after they've been tested. Or people are still in shock over the failure of the Haslab offering, and hoping we'll hear of some new version of it, despite what Hasbro/Avalon Hill has said about that not happening.

I'll be looking forward to my own playtest sessions coming up in a week or so. And further input on my customs is always welcome on those threads! I hope they will be useful for people designing their own.

I'd love to hear from more of you Out There about picking up the pieces (literally) of the failed Haslab offering and moving on with it!
@chas you have been doing incredible work with moving AoA forward for the Heroscaper’s community. I have taken a quick look at your custom designs and will provide my inputs/comments shortly. Between you and @Anitar you both have made it possible for all of us to take the disappointment of the failed campaign and still take enjoyment in expanding our passion for Heroscape with what was exposed to us. I truly appreciate all of the effort that the two of you have put forth.
Old December 4th, 2022, 01:35 PM

gatormustang,

Hey, thanks for the support.

Taeblewalker is coming over on Friday to do my first AOA proxy play/playtest. We used to do this for the first C3V and C3G cards when they first came out. I want to play the Clockwork Collective first, and he the Dryans. In 'real life' they probably shouldn't be fighting each other, but what the heck. The Brood and the Ironbound have so few cards that perhaps they'll team up into one army, since we want to try out all the new cards. The Pirates have plenty, and will perhaps even take another old or new card into their ranks with one Captain's power to recruit outside the faction and bring one card into it for a game!

I'm just finishing off the project for the weekend. I've cut out all 46 Character cards--39 from Anitar plus my 5 custom SOTV Heroes, plus 5 glyph cards (the rest are duplicates or things we've seen before) and am about to sleeve them. And finally I've made up cardboard hex shaped dummies of the 10 AOA Glyphs, so you won't be able to tell them apart when they are placed face down on the battlefield.
Old December 4th, 2022, 05:07 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
gatormustang,

Hey, thanks for the support.

Taeblewalker is coming over on Friday to do my first AOA proxy play/playtest. We used to do this for the first C3V and C3G cards when they first came out. I want to play the Clockwork Collective first, and he the Dryans. In 'real life' they probably shouldn't be fighting each other, but what the heck. The Brood and the Ironbound have so few cards that perhaps they'll team up into one army, since we want to try out all the new cards. The Pirates have plenty, and will perhaps even take another old or new card into their ranks with one Captain's power to recruit outside the faction and bring one card into it for a game!

I'm just finishing off the project for the weekend. I've cut out all 46 Character cards--39 from Anitar plus my 5 custom SOTV Heroes, plus 5 glyph cards (the rest are duplicates or things we've seen before) and am about to sleeve them. And finally I've made up cardboard hex shaped dummies of the 10 AOA Glyphs, so you won't be able to tell them apart when they are placed face down on the battlefield.
@chas you have probably already seen this, but below is my custom card and label for “The Glyph of Xenithrax Vines” in case you want to print them out for your upcoming games.

Glyph of Xenithrax Vines Card

Glyph of Xenithrax Vines Label
Old December 4th, 2022, 05:27 PM

Very nice. It will be fun to see how they work on the table, given that they are removed in various circumstances.
Old December 5th, 2022, 01:41 PM

Faction Introductions

There are three large and roughly equal factions, and two smaller ones which, if combined--they serve the same General and are both sort of 'Evil'--would equal any of the others. All are composed of Unique Heroes and Unique Squads. Some of the squads take two wounds per figure, rather than only one.

Now that I have actual cards in hard copy to look over, I'm noticing some general faction wide details, mostly other than individual card powers, that will influence how I want to play them. Here they are.

Faction Introduction: The Dawnraider Syndicate

10 Cards, 1,005 Points

Captain Synergy This faction includes Admiral EJ-1M (who may or may not be considered a Captain), two Captains (Crimson Widow and Fia Bonny The Void Siren) one Hero who may become a Captain (Cornelius Breech), and two squads with the Captain related synergy powers The Captain's Way and Captain's Orders (Dreadnaughts of New Tortuga and Knaves of the Silver Scimitar). In addition, First Officer Bor-Burk-Na has a power that affects units attacked by a Captain (Intimidate).

At first I thought The Captain's Way was a special ability added to the new Rules, but it it not there. So it is only activated by one of these two squads, or both.

Bringing A Non Pirate card into the Faction Crimson Widow's power Hire Crew allows her to convert a non Faction Unique Squad card into a member of the Dawnraider Syndicate as a "Pirate." This could be another AOA Card or one from your Classic (or Custom) collection. It would allow them to benefit from her other powers, First Officer Bur-Burk'Na's Intimidate, and Admiral EJ1M's Boarding Party Special Attack.

A Two Wound Squad The Dreadnaughts of Tortuga are a two wounds per figure squad.

Faction Introduction: The Dryan Lifeborne Order

11 Cards, 990 Points

This faction is made up of three classes of cards:

*A dragon, Xenithrax, who may place three Glyphs of Xenithrax Vines, somewhat similar to how the classic Mika Connor may place her own Shadow hexes.

*Five Dryan Wizards, all of whom may bond with 1-2 Beasts, including the Dryan Familiars.

*Five Beast "Familiars" who are Unique Heroes of much lower point costs.

One card each has a terrain dependent power: one trees and one water.

Faction Introduction: Clockwork Combine

9 Cards, 970 Points

This faction is made of two species, which work for different Generals: five Vorids (small furry animals) and four Ursines (big bears). Both types have a steampunk technology, as well as animal characteristics.

The Vorrids include one Airship Hero and one other Hero which fly, and one Squad who glides in from offboard, one Walker, and one underground burrower.

The Ursines are all Large polar bears, with lots of Life. The figures of their two squads take two wounds each. They include two heroes and two squads, one if which has range. One squad bonds with a Champion who follow Jandar or Volarek, which includes both the Ursine And Vorid heroes, as well as some Classic (and Custom) heroes as well.

Faction Introduction: The Nemesis Brood

5 Cards, 575 Points

This is a smaller Faction. This faction is made up of two pairs of cards that should be played in the same army:

Queen Maladrix should be played with Festering Honor Guard.

Oathbound Phalanx should be played with Oathbound Legionnaires.

Faction Introduction: Ironbound Collective

4 Cards, 555 Points

This is a smaller Faction, who mostly work independently. In fact, the Hellforge Mandukor will actually cause damage to adjacent friendlies as well as enemies. However, their leader, Iron Lich Viscerot, has two bonding powers with any other Faction card. Their squad has two lives per figure.

Last edited by chas; December 11th, 2022 at 06:38 AM.
Old December 6th, 2022, 08:04 PM

I've just made up four 600 Point armies for a first playtest session with Taeblewalker this Friday. For the armies, and other practical aspects of the AOA Proxy Play Project, see here on the New York City Gang of Four thread, where we report out a bit on our local games:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...60#post2550060

Just scroll down for the post "Initial AOA Playtest Armies."
Old December 8th, 2022, 07:03 AM

Hello Out There, Honored Scapers. Tomorrow will be my first AOA Proxy Play! So today, with the map of AOA Scenario 1 (the only Official one we have, or may ever have) on the table and cards for all of AOA Heroes and Squads, including the 5 SOTM heroes (two sets, mine and Anitar's) ready to go! On my signature New York City Gang of Four Thread I've posted up armies for all the new Factions too. And I've got Anitar's Glyph cards and dummy cardboard Glyphs ready to randomly set on the board--first the four new ones, two per game.

After I physically pull the dozens of proxies I've got planned for the cards, a task in itself for today, I'll be ready. In my first couple of games Taeblewalker and I will be playing one Faction based army each. He's decided to stay overnight, so we'll have a second day also, and possibly try out all of the factions, possibly with another player or two.

Are you Proxy Playing yet? No one has chimed in with their experiences so far that I've seen, but someone on one of the new Book of Index threads mentioned that he had played and tried that particular book's character out.

So who is playing AOA, and how?

There are a number of ways to play "AOA Proxy Play." Here are some that have occurred to me. For now I'm limiting our initial games to only using AOA cards and Faction based armies, to get to try as many of the new ones on the battlefield as possible of the 46, both Revealed by Avalon Hill (thanks guys) and Unrevealed (using my or Anitar's customs. Mostly her's, I've only made some for Air Marshal Zed Nesbitt and the 5 SOTM Heroes so far).

The only ones we're missing are the 7 new Kyries, because we have no clue how they are intended to work. Eventually someone may make cards for them, but it seems that they will be unrelated to the work of the War Council.

AOA Play Variants

1. AOA Only Immersion This is what I'll be doing for a while to get the feel of the new cards. Playing only these in games on the first official scenario with AOA Glyphs. First up, the Clockwork Combine vs the Dryan Lifeborne Order. Just because these are the two we've picked to try out first. Your Mileage May Vary.

2. General Heroscape Mixing the new cards into normal Scaping with older cards, either Classics or also with Customs (we use both around here). For example, the Custom Pirates of Tortuga could be either put right in with the Dawnraiders as they are the only Pirates in the game before AOA so far (except possibly for personal customs I haven't seen yet), or used through the Crimson Widow's Hire power to bring them into the world of AOA. I think it was Dad Scaper or someone on the War Council who said he'd researched pirates, and you just put together crews with gold to add them to your force; hence the name of the power.

3. "Playtesting" One Per Game To do what my pal Sherman Davies (formerly of the C3V Inner Council) would call "a real play test," you have to add only one new figure at a time and play him with previous figures you know, so that the new card can be properly tested and adjusted. The current new customs for previously Unrevealed cards (there aren't many of them) are totally untested, both Anitar's and mine. How much testing the War Council did on the Revealed ones (more or less those in the Haslab Offering's Card Compendium) is also unknown. At first it doesn't seem like they had much time to do that, but they did say they have been working in secret for a year previously.

There are probably more ways to play, so feel free to tell us how you are doing it, or other ways you've thought of yourself! And those of us who choose to do it, are entering a new age. The Age of Annihilation!

4. Supercharged AOA! You could add "Marvelscape" (which includes DC and Independents) characters. While C4G is not meant to be used with normal Scape, it can be, especially if you limit the point value of cards allowed. This leaves out some of the most super Supers, such as those god like Kryptonians. Sherman Davies has created a large line of Super Customs in his Marvel and DC customs threads that are meant to be used with normal scape!

So let us know how you are doing it! Have you tried or thought of more variant possibilities than I've listed here? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anitar's and My customs remain unplaytested. If you've tried the cards, what do you think of them? Are you going to keep playing them as is, or modify them? Did you make customs of your own?

There is or will be plenty to discuss, after we've tried them out. And my local efforts are finally on the launch pad!

Last edited by chas; January 19th, 2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old December 10th, 2022, 11:52 AM

Taeblewalker and I have now "playtested" all the regular AOA cards over four games. I am now playtesting my 5 Upgraded SOTM Hero AOA custom cards. For details, including the armies I am using, see my signature thread for The New York City Gang of Four. Photos are about to be posted there as well, with all the proxy minis I have assembled and much more listed there.

Last edited by chas; January 19th, 2023 at 07:16 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion