Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 12th, 2021, 12:47 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
The future of Heroscapers, Gen Con, and gaming

As many of you are well aware, heroscapers has been running events at GenCon as early as 2006. We (myself, Lonewolf, Raider30, and OEAO) in some form have been running the events since 2012 when R˙chean asked someone else to take over for him. The last 2 years mainly because of Covid we have not run any events at GenCon. Which was sad for many of us. But because of this the heroscape community has gone on with other event formats: OnlineCon, ScapeCon, and even KenCon. Through these other avenues we have really truly come to find the best parts of GenCon (community and gaming) without the hassles of, well basically GenCon. We as the GenCon organizers have decided that we will not be attending or supporting GenCon from this point forward but instead will move our focus to supporting ScapeCon. We feel that this best suits our current community needs and wants. I know to some of you this will be disappointing because well GenCon is GenCon. It was not an easy decision for us to make but a decision we feel is what's in the best interest of our amazing community.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM with them. I will do my best to answer you in a timely manner. Thanks, and God Bless.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 12th, 2021 at 12:48 PM. Reason: P.S. I know many of you have asked, and yes KenCon had stronger players than ScapeCon did...
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The future of Heroscapers, Gen Con, and gaming

Many thanks to you, Lone Wolf and Raider 30 (and the rest of your crew) for all of the hard work over the years. My first (and OEAO's first) GenCon was your first year running Heroscape there. I never would have guessed that it was your first time running things. OEAO was 14 and we had a blast. It was one of the best experiences a father could have with his son and I am very grateful that you and your crew provided us with that opportunity.
I hope we will see you at ScapeCon next year, as once again the field will be much stronger than KenCon. (Kind of like the major leagues vs high school ball.)
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
I hope we will see you at ScapeCon next year, as once again the field will be much stronger than KenCon. (Kind of like the major leagues vs high school ball.)
George don't sell yourself short. I would have at least put you at AAA level, not highschool...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

End of an era for sure. I've been going to Gencon since 2012, the year Matthias and company took over, and it's always been great. There's no way I'd still be playing this game through an entire decade without Gencon being such a fun weekend of Scape for so many years. Sad to lose the downtown Indianapolis venue but excited to see what the future can bring with more control over the event at a dedicated Scapecon. Thanks for all the work you all put in organizing Heroscape at Gencon.
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

To echo what other have said, GenCon has been the site for the largest HeroScapers gathering year-after-year for the last 15 years. Without GenCon HeroScape, I never would have gotten, nor stayed, as involved with this community as I have. We (the community) can't thank the three of you enough (us "halves" don't really count) for everything you guys have done for this community. I hope we can do it justice through many ScapeCons to come.
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:17 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Part of me grieves the loss of Heroscape at Gencon but another part celebrates the adventures we had and the friendships gained.

It is a chapter in my life that I will always think fondly of.
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:57 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It is sad that I may have to choose which to attend (cost and time). I love heroscape, but like to learn and play other games and love the gencon atmosphere. What would be the timing and location for Scapecon? Having about a year to plan is important. I could not attend scapecon this year because it was a week different then the time I set aside for Gencon. Can you attend next time without staying in the hotel and eating? Things to consider to help keep the cost down (I did 4 days of gencon, with house rental, food, parking and 4 day pass for under $250).

Do you think it would be possible to still run some events at Gencon in the future. Like 2-3 tournaments over 1 day so people can still play Heroscape and enjoy the atmosphere of gencon? I would be interested (and have to the time) to work on it for 2022. I am assuming the several heroscapers will still go to Gencon as well as plan on playing in Scapecon (I would be one of them!). Just thinking out loud since I love this community, the game, and Gencon.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!

Last edited by Muskie; August 12th, 2021 at 02:48 PM. Reason: combining thoughts!
Old August 12th, 2021, 02:46 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Wow, that is budget Gen Con. It will cost me $500 just for the hotel this year.

Sad to hear no more Heroscape at Gen Con but it will allow Scapers to enjoy other aspects of Gen Con if they decide to go.
I will miss just walking through the area and looking at the maps and armies of figures and of course saying hi to those I have gotten to know over the years.

Good luck.
Old August 12th, 2021, 02:56 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Wow, that is budget Gen Con. It will cost me $500 just for the hotel this year.

Sad to hear no more Heroscape at Gen Con but it will allow Scapers to enjoy other aspects of Gen Con if they decide to go.
I will miss just walking through the area and looking at the maps and armies of figures and of course saying hi to those I have gotten to know over the years.

Good luck.
I have it down to a science (plus I do not each much when playing).

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old August 12th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I want to thank all the GenCon organizers for all their time and effort over the years.

GenCon 2018 was the first time I had attended an in-person HeroScape tournament (although I had played online), and it was an awesome experience that definitely kept me hooked for future in-person Scape, first GenCon and then ScapeCon.

I remember walking into Lucas Oil stadium for the first time in 2018 and trying to figure out where the Scape maps were set up (and just how GenCon worked in general). Everyone was very welcoming and I felt right at home within a few hours of arriving. I probably learned more about HeroScape in those 4 days than I had ever before, especially preparing for the main event (thanks for the help @vegietarian18 !) and playing in main the next day. My tie on points with @OEAO in General Wars is still one of my most memorable games of Scape.

GenCon 2019 was just as much fun, and knowing what to expect that time definitely let me get more out of the weekend, from helping set-up maps to just being able to better navigate the crowds downtown.

When GenCon 2020 was cancelled, I was quite disappointed, but the community did a great job to fill the void via OnlineCon 2020 & ScapeCon 2021, and I was very appreciative of both.

I'll definitely miss the physical environment of being in Lucas Oil and the fun chaos caused from 50,000 people descending on downtown Indy, but I'm also excited for the new possibilities that ScapeCon offers and definitely intend to be there next year (and hopefully many more years to come).

p.s. There's a chance I may still be at GenCon 2022 for non-Scape events (I have a badge for it that's rolled-over from 2020), but I'll have to wait and see on that.
Old August 12th, 2021, 03:56 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
End of an Era

2015 was the first year I made it out (with dok needling me to just make it happen). I was going through a lot at that time and the community was just phenomenal and I thoroughly enjoyed my time and it was just an experience that I knew I would have to repeat again and again. Thank you all for what you've done in helping make the event a success. Look forward to seeing you all at some point in the future.

~Dysole, uncertain what she's going to do with Gencon 2022 badge she has
Old August 12th, 2021, 04:04 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

Good thing Lone Wolf is getting out now before I have the chance to rise from the ashes and dominate the circuit ��

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con