Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old August 3rd, 2021, 08:10 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Are any of you interested in continuing your BoV membership?
I have some interest. I could probably still review maps pretty frequently. But if there are other people who want to review them, I don't mind letting them take over.
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

It's been too long. Hello, friends!

I appreciate the invitation. My sons have regained their interest in Scape and we are playing fairly frequently now.

If there is interest in seeing the BoV continue, I would be happy to become active as a judge again.
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:46 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Welcome back!
Old August 9th, 2021, 11:51 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Would be cool to see some activity in this region.
Old August 10th, 2021, 01:51 AM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am more than willing to help evaluate maps in whatever capacity.
Old August 10th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post

I appreciate the invitation. My sons have regained their interest in Scape and we are playing fairly frequently now.

If there is interest in seeing the BoV continue, I would be happy to become active as a judge again.
That makes two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 10th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Let me ask the community:

Is there a need for the BoV at this point?
Are people using the WoS? Are the programs too similar?

If there is a need, I will work to build a full judge team again.
Old August 10th, 2021, 04:33 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Let me ask the community:

Is there a need for the BoV at this point?
Are people using the WoS? Are the programs too similar?

If there is a need, I will work to build a full judge team again.
In the WoS thread it was mentioned that they would add BoV maps to their roster and give the ability of the community to vote and essentially keep the map pool updated to reflect the current meta and expectations when it comes to maps. As long as this comes to fruition there wouldn't necessarily be a need for both organizations to exist (only speaking for myself here)

Some maps are outdated and there have been a few organizations in existence so it would be nice if all tournament-ready maps (including those used at Gencon that were created under no organization) were in the same place under one roof and could be voted upon and deemed outdated or current meta ready.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old August 10th, 2021, 05:35 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Just kinda quoting some stuff that helps sum up my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
"Hey, you should use these BoV maps, but not these; these maps by this person, but not his other maps; these previous GenCon/ScapeCon maps, but not these." IMO, there needs to be a one-stop-shop for the best competitive maps.
This is the most important factor for me. Knowing which maps will be good to use at your event shouldn't be so difficult. Having them all in one place would be such a great service to the community. BoV unfortunately is not that place, since using maps "because they're in the BoV" leads to having to play on Turret Rocks and a few others that are unbelievably outdated in terms of competitive map design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Would it be possible for all the competitive map groups to join as one?
ARV is a slightly different project with different goals and methods, but see the point above about it being inconvenient at best and confusing at worst about where to find a good map. BoV and WoS don't need to run alongside each other, instead there should be one gold standard for the community.

Quote:
Hello! Always great to see a familiar old name again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
In the WoS thread it was mentioned that they would add BoV maps to their roster and give the ability of the community to vote and essentially keep the map pool updated to reflect the current meta and expectations when it comes to maps. As long as this comes to fruition there wouldn't necessarily be a need for both organizations to exist (only speaking for myself here)

Some maps are outdated and there have been a few organizations in existence so it would be nice if all tournament-ready maps (including those used at Gencon that were created under no organization) were in the same place under one roof and could be voted upon and deemed outdated or current meta ready.
I agree with all this. WoS has some good rules in place (being able to vote maps out, keeping the judging pool and thus the project active, etc) and can easily curate the BoV list to more modern acceptance standards. WoS can and should have a link to BoV to show the legacy of such a project, like so many other great community efforts on the site (power rankings, custom heroes, Delta pricing, etc).

It's awesome to see so much interest and activity right now with an eye on the future of the game and community. I'm excited about seeing how great a one-stop map shop could be!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 10th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If I can throw in my two cents (spoiler - they aren't much different from what's been said by Necroblade and itsbuzzi):

I see immense value in having a one stop shop for maps. This could only be accomplished by a group that does it differently than the ARV, unless the ARV was to change the way we do things (which I'm not trying to suggest is in the works or something we even want to do). I love what the ARV has done to encourage mapmaking in the community, but it's scope is different than what WoS has proposed - the space that has historically been taken by the BoV. I do think the two groups (ARV and WoS) could exist at the same time and accomplish their stated purposes in ways that benefit the community.

I think the BoV has a wonderful legacy within the community - I'm grateful for what it did for promoting tournament quality maps, and it approved some fantastic maps that still hold up well even today. I also have no desire to play a few of the maps in the repository ever again. OEAO's quote that was shared by Necroblade is key, I think. With so many mapmakers and the handful of groups that have been dedicated to promoting mapmaking, it would be a benefit to the community to have a group that is actively voting on what maps across all mapmakers and groups are of the highest caliber.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old August 12th, 2021, 12:32 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don't see any issues with how the ARV is doing things. I've used several ARV maps in tourneys before. I wouldn't use all of them, true, but then I wouldn't use all of the BoV maps either. I'm completely unfamiliar with WoS.

(Somewhere I have a spreadsheet of all the BoV and ARV maps and which ones I like, don't like, and wouldn't use under any circumstances. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old August 12th, 2021, 12:41 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I love the BoV as a walk down memory lane, and I love it because my friends have been a part of it, and I love it because its role - standardizing maps for competitive play - was groundbreaking.

But if I wanted to run a tournament now, for the contemporary metagame and challenging the best players? I would not come here looking for a quick list of maps I could use. There's too much clutter in the display thread; too many maps that I know from personal experience (or just from a quick glance) aren't suitable.

That's no reflection on the maps, or the judges who approved them. The game has changed, and many BoV maps that used to be good enough, even for GenCon, no longer make the cut. Where does that leave the value of the BoV? I don't know.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios