Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Definitive List of Units by Sex.

This is my third (and probably last) draft classifying all units by their sex. This draft includes all official units.
Why should you be interested in this? Honestly, I have no idea. I started doing this because I thought it would be great for my daughter to play with an all woman army (in a few years, she’s two right now.) Now I’ve gone through all the effort I though I would share it with you. And hopefully you’ll give me some feedback to make it better.

I am being pretty conservative about what units I am placing where. I have four reasons for classifying units as something besides “unknown.” They are:
1)Units of both sexes are in the game and easily differentiated. This covers humans, elves, kyrie, eladrin, drow, and half-elves.
2)The unit’s class clearly refers to a sex (King, Emperor, Warlord, Lady, etceteras)
3)The unit is referred to in the biography or on the card as either “he,” “she,” or “it.”
4)There is a reference to sex on the card. (Thanks to Killometer for his help on this.)

This leaves some pretty embarrassing units in the “unknown” class. Migol Ironwill anyone? Axegrinders of Burning Forge? Maybe in the world of Heroscape they are all male, but I’ve heard rumors that it’s hard to tell male and female dwarves apart (Drizz’t, Discworld.) Gueri-Oni? Well, I hope my daughter doesn’t grow up to look like him/her/it, but what do I know about Cyclops? Should Soulborg all be neutrals? I might agree with you but then Warden 816 is explicitly referred to as a “he.” (And Major Q9 may be a he as well.) Grut Orcs, goblin cutters, marro, soulborg, how do you tell? Any help getting these units classified would be greatly appreciated. And of course I would also love to know if I have mis-classified anything.

In total there are 209 units. 116 are male; 26 are female; 22 are explicitly neutral; and 3 squads have both men and women in them. That leaves 42 unknowns.

So here’s the list, alphabetically sorted by sex, and then by reason, and then by unit. The reasons are
Bio—the biography indicates the sex.
Card—the text of the card indicates the sex.
Class—the class indicates the sex,
Race—the race indicates the sex

Both (Females and Males in squad)
Race:
Krav Maga Agents ,Ninjas of Northern Wind ,Phantom Knights,

Females
Bio: Eltahale, Saylind Kyrie Warrior,
Card: Wo-Sa-Ga
Class:
Braxas ,Iskra Esenwein ,Kee-Mo-Shi ,Sonya Esenwein ,Sudema ,
Race: Agent Skahen ,Ana Karithon ,Empress Kiova ,Estivara ,Jorhdawn ,Kelda Kyrie Warrior ,Kumiko ,Kyntela Gwyn ,Mika Connour ,Moriko ,Nakita Agents ,Otonashi ,Raelin Kyrie Warrior ,Raelin Kyrie Warrior (SotM) ,Runa ,Sharwin Wildborn ,Shiori ,Warriors of Ashra ,

Males
Bio: Brunak ,Darrak Ambershard ,Deathwalker 9000 ,Dünd , Evar Scarcarver, Frost Giant of Morh,Grimnak ,Heavy Gruts ,Heirloom , Ice Troll Berserker, ,Iron Golem ,Jotun ,Khosumet Darklord ,Krug ,Laglor ,Marcu Esenwein , Master of the Hunt, Me-Burq-Sa ,Mimring ,Ne-Gok-Sa , Ogre Pulverizer, Ogre Warhulk ,Ornak ,Rhogar Dragonspine , Siege, Su-Bak-Na ,Sujoah ,Theracus ,Torin ,Tornak ,Warden 816 ,Warforged Soldiers ,
Card:Migol Ironwill,Othkurik Black Dragon ,Shurrak ,
Class: Charos ,Cyprien Esenwein ,Kurrok Elementalist ,Mogrimm Forgehammer , Moltenclaw, Nilfheim ,Tul-Bak-Ra ,Venoc Warlord ,Werewolf Lord ,Zelrig ,
Race: 10th Regiment of Foot ,4th Massachusetts Line ,Acolarh ,Agent Carr ,Airborne Elite ,Alastair MacDirk ,Arkmer ,Ashigaru Harquebus ,Ashigaru Yari ,Atlaga Kyrie Warrior ,Aubrien Archers ,Brandis Skyhunter ,Brave Arrow ,Capuan Gladiators ,Chardris ,Concan Kyrie Warrior ,Crixus ,Deadeye Dan ,Deepwyrm Drow ,Drow Chainfighter ,Einar Imperium ,Eldgrim Viking Champion ,Emirroon ,Erevan Sunshadow ,Finn Viking Champion ,Guilty McCreech ,Hatamoto Taro ,Isamu ,Izumi Samurai ,James Murphy ,Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan ,Kaemon Awa ,Kato Katsuro ,Knights of Weston ,Kozuke Samurai ,MacDirk Warriors ,Marcus Decimus Gallus ,Master Win Chiu Woo ,Microcorp Agents ,Minions of Utgar ,Mohican River Tribe ,Morsbane ,Parmenio ,Pelloth ,Protectors of Ullar ,Retiarius ,Roman Archers ,Roman Legionnaires ,Sacred Band , Samuel Brown, Sentinels of Jandar ,Sgt. Drake Alexander ,Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM) ,Shaolin Monks ,Sir Denrick ,Sir Dupuis ,Sir Gilbert ,Sir Hawthorne ,Sonlen ,Spartacus ,Syvarris ,Taelord Kyrie Warrior ,Tagawa Samurai ,Tagawa Samurai Archers ,Tandros Kreel ,Tarn Viking Warriors ,Templar Cavalry ,Thorgrim Viking Champion ,Ulginesh ,
Valguard ,Zombies of Morindan ,
And a special mention for: Major Q9 , it is referred to as "he" in its biography, but it is in Raknar's vision, so it may have been the generic "he."

Neutral:
Bio: Deathwalker 7000 ,Deathwalker 8000 ,Major Q10 ,Major X17 ,Marro Hive ,Tor-Kul-Na ,Zetacron ,
Card:Air Elemental ,Black Wyrmling ,Blue Wyrmling ,Earth Elemental ,Fen Hydra ,Feral Troll ,Fire Elemental ,Greater Ice Elemental , Mezzodemon Warmongers, Red Wyrmling ,Sahuagin Raider ,Water Elemental ,Wyvern ,Fortress Door ,
And a special mention for: White Wyrmling , in the bio this unit is referred to as an "it" but then it may grow up to be a "king.”

Unknown
Anubian Wolves ,Armoc Vipers ,Arrow Gruts ,Axegrinders of Burning Forge ,Blade Gruts ,Blastatrons, Death Chasers of Thesk, Death Knights of Valkrill, Deathreavers ,Deathstalkers ,Dumutef Guard ,Dzu-Teh ,Elite Onyx Vipers ,Fyorlag Spiders ,Gladiatrons ,Goblin Cutters ,Gorillinators ,Granite Guardians ,Greenscale Warriors ,Grok Riders ,Gurei-Oni , Horned Skull Brutes, Marrden Hounds ,Marrden Nagrubs ,Marro Dividers ,Marro Drones ,Marro Drudge ,Marro Stingers ,Marro Warriors ,Mind Flayer Mastermind ,Nerak Glacian Swog Rider ,Obsidian Guards ,Omnicron Repulsors ,Omnicron Snipers ,Quasatch Hunters ,Rechets of Bogdan ,Shades of Bleakewoode ,Swog Rider ,Venoc Vipers ,Wolves of Badru ,Zettian Guards ,

Last edited by Kroc; September 30th, 2011 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Migol is a male!
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: The Definitive List of Units by Sex.

Nice.

Wo-Sa-Ga is a female ("she" on the card), Othkurik is male ("he" on card), and I think you're probably safe classifying the various soulborgs as neutral. We can also deduce that one of the Marro Warriors is male because he was clearly posing at a frat party for his sculpt.
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM

.68 knows what's in an order marker .68 knows what's in an order marker

Shurrak is referred to as a he on the card.

Dund is referred to as he in his Bio.

Last edited by .68; September 24th, 2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added Dund
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

I'd guess (and it is purely a guess) that the Wolves of Bardu are a male and female squad, (and you could probably extend this to the Anubian Wolves) because there are three wolves in the pack, and:

Quote:
There are four different classes of wolves within a wolf pack. These include:

(1) The alpha pair. Sometimes referred to as the breeding pair, the alpha pair consists of a male and a female wolf. These are the two wolves which will, generally, mate and produce offspring These are the two top-ranking wolves in the pack, and they are dominant over all other wolves in the pack. They often (but not always) direct the activities of the pack.

(2) Mature subordinate animals. These would include the other wolves in the pack who are subservient to the alpha pair. Often, there are two separate dominance orders within a pack - one for males and one for females, but Mech (1999) notes that is not always the case in wild wolf packs. The highest ranking wolves among the mature, subordinate animals are often referred to as beta wolves.

(3) Omega wolves. Many wolves packs contain one or a few omega wolves which may be appear to be mistreated by other pack members. Such wolves often avoid the other members of the pack and may be ambushed by other pack members should they try to approach the pack.

(4) Juveniles. These would be young wolves that have not yet secured themselves a position within the pack's hierarchy. However, young wolf pups will "play-fight" and this often results in the formation of a dominance hierarchy among the juveniles. This juvenile hierarchy often changes frequently.
http://alphawolfsabrina.webs.com/soc...randvisual.htm

And here's a reason why, when playing more than 1 squad, you should always drop a wolf for each squad added:

Quote:
It is unusual for two packs to meet. If this happens, the two alpha males often fight each other until the weaker one is mortally wounded or killed.
http://www.emotionalcompetency.com/dominance.htm

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old September 24th, 2010, 05:03 PM

nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby!

Wo-Sa-Ga is refereed to as a she on her card.

Want to Re-base Your DnD Figures? Click here.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Card pronouns:

It
Air Elemental, Black Wyrmling, Blue Wyrmling, Earth Elemental, Fen Hydra, Feral Troll, Fire Elemental, Greater Ice Elemental, Red Wyrmling, Sahuagin Raider, Water Elemental, Wyvern

He
Othkurik, Shurrak

She
Wo-Sa-Ga

Kurrok, could fit under class, since he's a "Sorcerer", not a "Sorceress".

If your going to base the ambiguiousness of dwarven gender off elven prejudices, you should base the elves off dwarven prejudices, since all elves look like girls to them. Realistically I'd say that you could safely put all the Dwarves as male, under race.

Also, under Males:class, you have everyone listed twice.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM

WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktheant View Post
Wo-Sa-Ga is refereed to as a she on her card.
But called a "he" on the back of the box. I would go with "she".

Loves all Scape

Still hasn't taken his Christmas decorations down.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM
...IS Mediocre

hoju511 is surprisingly tart

I’ll open a can of worms here,

The Fortress Door is not a figure; it is by definition an object, or more specifically a destructible object.

The official definitions in both online FAQ and Battle for the Underdark rule book are very clear about this.

And yes, I do understand The Door has its own army card.

Kroc, they are never too young to start Heroscape…
You should have seen my 4y/o sons face light up when I showed him a pic. of the new Frost Giant.

To quote him, Awesome!
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Updated the list, thanks one and all for the feedback. Some specific comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
and I think you're probably safe classifying the various soulborgs as neutral.
Warden 816 and maybe Q9 are both classified as Males in their bio's. I agree with you, and would love to move the 4 remaining soulborg units into Neutral, but then what is up with the Warden?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
I'd guess (and it is purely a guess) that the Wolves of Bardu are a male and female squad, (and you could probably extend this to the Anubian Wolves) because there are three wolves in the pack,
Heh, completely agree, but I am trying to make this an "official" list. Now if Grungebob says it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Card pronouns:...
If your going to base the ambiguiousness of dwarven gender off elven prejudices, you should base the elves off dwarven prejudices, since all elves look like girls to them. ...
Thanks a lot for all the help. About the dwarves, though, I stand firm.
We don't only have the word of a drow elf, we also have the entire Discworld series to rely on. If Terry Pratchett thinks you can't tell the guys from the girls I need a clear guideline before I start slotting them into a gender stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoju511 View Post
...The Fortress Door is not a figure; it is by definition an object, or more specifically a destructible object....

Kroc, they are never too young to start Heroscape…
But how much work did it take for me to leave the door classified as neutral? It's just a list, if you don't think the door qualifies (and I agree with you) then ignore it.

My sone (3.5) loves to play with the figures and can put together the tiles, my daughter (1.5 or so) has yet to show a lot of interest. I'm planning on about the age of 5. Right now I don't really have anyone else to play with, so I'm basically waiting for the kiddies.
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I believe one of the Aubrien Archers is female.

-Vitm

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
I believe one of the Aubrien Archers is female.

-Vitm
Nope. Just a femme looking guy. He's an Elf, after all.
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Really? Well, ok.

-Vitm

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's