Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music
Music Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What's your favorite music?

Quote:
Andreas Vollenweider's "Down to the Moon" was the first CD I ever purchased after I bought my first CD player! Yes, I like his music, though haven't heard it for a while. I'm familiar with the others and have some of their CDs. Others you might like (you may already know these): Kitaro, Enya, Constance Demby, Raphael.
I've heard of Enya, but not the others. Is that Raphael a classical composser or is he New Age? I ask because there is a classical Raphael. Tell me, do you have Dancing with the Lion? It is really cool.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:
Andreas Vollenweider's "Down to the Moon" was the first CD I ever purchased after I bought my first CD player! Yes, I like his music, though haven't heard it for a while. I'm familiar with the others and have some of their CDs. Others you might like (you may already know these): Kitaro, Enya, Constance Demby, Raphael.
I've heard of Enya, but not the others. Is that Raphael a classical composser or is he New Age? I ask because there is a classical Raphael. Tell me, do you have Dancing with the Lion? It is really cool.
Raphael: Music to Disappear in I & II (might be on Amazon), Angels of the Deep (this is wonderful and includes the sounds of whale song in it). Not the classical composer.

Yes, I have Dancing With the Lion. I'll have to listen to that again soon, as it has been a long time since I've listened to his music. His music has a wonderful bounce that always cheers me up.

Kitaro is a Japanese musician. Favorites include Oasis, Ki, and Silver Cloud. I'm mostly fond of these earlier works.
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hmm, thanks for the references, I'll have to check those things out.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

If you check out Constance Demby, try "Novus Magnifiicat" first. I think it's her masterpiece. She's sometimes referred to as the Queen of New Age.

You should be able to find all the artists mentioned on YouTube. Since New Age is such a diverse genre, YouTube is a great way to try before you buy.

Another group popped into my head last night... Mythos. I'm listening to one of their tracks on YouTube as I'm typing.

I'm also very fond of the Windham Hill label as well.

If you're interested in branching out to the Space Music subgenre, I could make a ton of recommendations. I'll lead off with Jonn Serrie and Patrick O'Hearn.

If you're interested in branching out to the Ambient subgenre (not the Techno Ambient, which I consider Trance), I could post about a gazillion recommendations.

Last edited by davidlhsl; October 19th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
I'll probably get a reply to this one. Exactly what is metal?
It's just really intense rock music. Usually it involves screaming at some point in the song, then a short guitar solo is played. This is considered "shredding," though I haven't listened to metal in a while. Unless Metallica or Iron Maiden is considered metal (which I don't think they are), then the last metal song I listened to was 10,000 by Disturbed.
You are saying you don't think Iron Maiden is metal!?

Iron Maiden is soooo Metal.

I can understand Metallica, at least from the Black Album to Saint Anger, but you have to agree Kill 'em All to Justice is metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
Some metal bands:
Metallica
Slipknot (Nu: Metal)
Chimaira
Five Finger Death Punch
Shinedown (WHAT!!!!!!)
Sevendust
Rob Zombie
Hatebreed
Pantera
Mudvayne (SP?)
Disturbed
Slayer
Iron Maiden
(Kind of): (WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!)

Judas Priest

Metal generally has low-notes, or bass, guitars, drums, and a singer. I'm not quite sure on how to describe the rhythm.
How could you say Shinedown is metal!? They are hard rock!
"Kind of" for Iron Maiden!?

I reiterate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Iron Maiden is soooo metal.
I would describe elements of the rhythm as changing time signatures, 16th notes, overdriven, palm muting, power chords, and odd beat count.

Palm muting is achieved when one places the hand on the strings just at the bridge to achieve a more percussive sound. Power chords are perfect fifths in two or 3 notes. Overdrive is achieved when the gain of an amplifier and guitar is high enough to clip the signal's resonance peak.

It depends on the genre of metal but most features a few beats of palm muted low notes followed by a short ascending or descending power chord riff or a dissonant possibly non chromatic scale pattern in a measure. These measure usually repeat several times while the singer screams an accompaniment and the drummer usually applies fast drumming, such as the double kick, which is 16th note bass drum strikes.
This formula can be applied to the verse, chorus, and bridge, intro, and outro.

Another element of metal comes from hardcore punk. The breakdown. Slow, palm muted, 4/4 half notes with syncopated 8th notes. In other words "1-2-3-4&1-2-3-4&1-2-3-4. It creates a buildup at 4th notes and release at the 8th notes.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.

Last edited by Richard; October 21st, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I listen to everything with a few exceptions. Absolutely no country music and no Christian rock/pop/whatever. It's just so bad. Also not a fan of metal for the most part except for old school Sabbath (early 70s) and Metallica's early stuff.

Been on a big 80s kick for the past couple of years. Some good stuff.
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising View Post
I listen to everything with a few exceptions. Absolutely no country music and no Christian rock/pop/whatever.
Talk about polar opposites. I just got into country, and so far I'm listening to Josh Turner, Rodney Atkins, and Zac Brown Band. Also, Skillet and Pillar (Christian rock) are some of my favorite bands. Other than that, I really like 3 Days Grace and a few songs by Rise Against, with a dash of Nickelback thrown in.

~ABOM, wondering if anyone else likes country, and if they can help him out by referring to some good singers...
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I like all kinds of stuff, but normally it's jam bands on my mp3 player. Phish, Umphrey's McGee, moe. I've set up Pandora to sprinkle in reggae, when I'm listening to that.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
~ABOM, wondering if anyone else likes country, and if they can help him out by referring to some good singers...
You can never go wrong with Johnny Cash.

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Contemporary Christian and Christian Rock are what I listen to most. I still have some of my old Styx, Rush, Triumph, and Kansas that I'll listen to on occasion. I will listen to just about anything except Opera. Powerful orchestra music - like John Williams created for Star Wars - will always get my attention, too.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM

Personally, I don't hear that much country music, and am therefore not much into it.
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
I'm not a big fan of contemporary country music, but there are related genres I like very much. And by "related genres" I mean bluegrass.

Here's a link to the great Del McCoury Band performing "High on a Mountain."

edit: Can't go wrong with Johnny Cash, either. One of the greats, transcends genre.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; October 21st, 2010 at 09:01 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music