Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old October 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

Okay, thanks everyone!
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Just ordered my first Master Set! Can't wait!
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcelfarmyone View Post
I know the game is different than HS by a lot, but do any factions play sort of like a specific HS army?

Also, is there a best faction?

Thanks!
The factions are all balanced supremely well, which is part of what makes the game so great. The Fallen Kingdom remind me o a HS zombie army, and the Cave Goblins remind me of the Goblin Cutters.
Mechanically, the CG always reminded me more of the Glads/Blasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

How so?
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
How so?
Probably because you want to surround and gang up on Champions with Goblin Rage / Horde Attack to boost your die rolls, much like the Glads / Blasts like to surround opposing heroes to boost die rolls.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM

ShadowWater is surprisingly tart

Also because of "movement bonding" with the Fighters.

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWater View Post
Also because of "movement bonding" with the Fighters.
The Fighters have "attack bonding", not "movement bonding". Krag does get to move after all of the other units do, and they have Goblin Rush to potentially move more commons in a turn, though.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

I got the ios app and am 8-2! A couple of things I noticed:

1. Cave goblin cpu is easy! The Eater attacked and killed my common which was the only common next to it, so then it got discarded!

2. They don't summon many champs.

Again, this is just what I've seen so far. With the Pheonix Elves:

2-1 vs. Tundra Orcs

2-0 vs. Pheonix Elves

2-1 vs. Guild Dwarves

2-0 vs. Cave Goblins

The games I lost were due to lack of knowledge (I skipped the tutorial) vs. the Tundra Orcs, and luck by the Guild Dwarves. I had 1 wall, and in the same turn they used 2 Besiege the Walls and killed it by attacking. I couldn't draw another wall for the rest of the game.
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Ok, so the master set should get here tommorow, and I need to teach my dad. I get the rules after about 15-20 games on the ios and still only the 2 losses, but I need an easy faction to teach him with from the master set. I'm thinking of the Benders because of the range, but what are your opinions?

Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Ok, so the master set should get here tommorow, and I need to teach my dad. I get the rules after about 15-20 games on the ios and still only the 2 losses, but I need an easy faction to teach him with from the master set. I'm thinking of the Benders because of the range, but what are your opinions?

Thanks!
Alright. If you are teaching somone brand new with the Master Set, I would stick to the Shadow Elves. Interestingly enough, these guys were going to be part of the first four factions originally released.

They are a good starter faction, because they are easy to understand. Their abilities and units aren't complex to understand their rules. They have some good events, and some catch-up events to help them out. Their summoner has lots of life, so he's hopefully not going to suddenly die.

The important part to me about giving someone a faction to begin with is to ensure that they can learn the rules of the game, and have fun, meaning that they're not going to be spending a long time figuring out what their units and events can do. This is why I would reccomend the Shadow Elves.

With that being said, you can always offer him up to let him choose himself. That's perfectly fine. The only thing I would really caution against is using the Swamp Orcs. Their Vine Wall mechanic is very unique, and creates very difficult situations rule wise I find. I would avoid that. The Mountain Vargath are a pretty easy faction to get as well I find though so I would maybe give them a shot.

Really though, just try to make sure it's easy enough to get. You don't have to teach all the rules at once either...review what is necessary and build up rules as you get down the others first. Summoner Wars is a brilliant game because it has simplistic rules, but it still can take a game to get them down to a good level of proficiency.

Now to a few other things. The iOS app is great, but the AI is garbage. It just really isn't good. It does lots of stupid things at times. It's good enough to make sure you learn the game, and it is good enough to challenge a very beginning player. Quickly though you will probably advance past it to where it no longer challenges you. This is a dangerous opponent then to keep playing against, as if you aren't being challenged, your mistakes will not be exploited, and you will cease to learn more. This is my opinion at least. When you feel comfortable, I would advise hopping in online. It's well worth it, and there you can get in lots of good games, against lots of skill levels. You may get beat up a few games, but you'll be able to learn lots from these losses, I find.

Finally, if you are interested, there is the Summoner Wars forums, where I and others are quite active. Questions like these also typically receive many more replies and suggestions. If you at all get into this game, I'd reccomend signing up and joining. There are lots of good discussions over on those boards about the great game of Summoner Wars.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Alright. If you are teaching somone brand new with the Master Set, I would stick to the Shadow Elves. Interestingly enough, these guys were going to be part of the first four factions originally released.

They are a good starter faction, because they are easy to understand. Their abilities and units aren't complex to understand their rules. They have some good events, and some catch-up events to help them out. Their summoner has lots of life, so he's hopefully not going to suddenly die.

The important part to me about giving someone a faction to begin with is to ensure that they can learn the rules of the game, and have fun, meaning that they're not going to be spending a long time figuring out what their units and events can do. This is why I would reccomend the Shadow Elves.

With that being said, you can always offer him up to let him choose himself. That's perfectly fine. The only thing I would really caution against is using the Swamp Orcs. Their Vine Wall mechanic is very unique, and creates very difficult situations rule wise I find. I would avoid that. The Mountain Vargath are a pretty easy faction to get as well I find though so I would maybe give them a shot.

Really though, just try to make sure it's easy enough to get. You don't have to teach all the rules at once either...review what is necessary and build up rules as you get down the others first. Summoner Wars is a brilliant game because it has simplistic rules, but it still can take a game to get them down to a good level of proficiency.

Now to a few other things. The iOS app is great, but the AI is garbage. It just really isn't good. It does lots of stupid things at times. It's good enough to make sure you learn the game, and it is good enough to challenge a very beginning player. Quickly though you will probably advance past it to where it no longer challenges you. This is a dangerous opponent then to keep playing against, as if you aren't being challenged, your mistakes will not be exploited, and you will cease to learn more. This is my opinion at least. When you feel comfortable, I would advise hopping in online. It's well worth it, and there you can get in lots of good games, against lots of skill levels. You may get beat up a few games, but you'll be able to learn lots from these losses, I find.

Finally, if you are interested, there is the Summoner Wars forums, where I and others are quite active. Questions like these also typically receive many more replies and suggestions. If you at all get into this game, I'd reccomend signing up and joining. There are lots of good discussions over on those boards about the great game of Summoner Wars.
Ok, thanks. I knew about the forums, but am waiting until I actually get good. The AI is garbage. Now I play where if I make a mistake I immediately quit if it's big enough because in real life I would get killed, but on the ios I can still dominate. However, I wish I could play online, but I bought the everything bundle, and it says I have to purchase a faction pack, but it won't let me now.

I should soon be playing a good opponent, as my dad is good at HS and should be able to learn pretty quickly.
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Still open to any suggestions! Please post as if he enjoys this game, then he will play, but I don't want him not to play because of his first game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games