Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rihnoswirl View Post
i have two different armies thet i use all the time.
for 750 point games:

I only know about two words of Swedish,* but Heroscape is a kul spel, right?

Heh, anyway, welcome to the site, rihnoswirl!

Those armies seem decent enough, but this particular thread is devoted to discussing armies for a very particular tournament, the GenCon Indy Championship, often called the "Main Event" because it's pretty much the biggest Heroscape tournament in the world each year. People come from all over the US, and some even come from Canada and Costa Rica to compete.

But going to the tourney isn't required to have fun brainstorming armies. I don't think dok is going, and he started this thing!

On the first day of the tourney, you have up to 510 points and 24 hexes.

If someone's lucky or awesome enough to go 4-1, or maybe go 3-2 with a high SoS (Strength of Schedule), he'll get to go to the second day of the tourney, which will allow a random number of extra points given to all players, determined by a single die roll. A skull = 90 more points. Shield = 110. Blank = 130.

If you would prefer to talk about 750 point armies more, (or armies of just about any point total), follow this link. If you scroll down a bit, I see 3 links there for 750 point armies.

*There are two reasons that I know any Swedish. The first is that I once accidentally downloaded a Swedish version of an old Mac bomberman/doom hybrid called Boom. Another is that I played Utopia, this free text-based team kingdom game, where a surprisingly high percentage of the players were Swedish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; April 10th, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: I was pretty surprised when I saw the words "SPEL SLUT" on the screen when I lost at Boom.
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What do you guys think of this.

DRAIN-O

Marro Stingers x5-300
Su-Bak-Na-460
Me-Bruq-Sa-510

600- X1 Stinger and X1 Chainfighter
620 -X1 Stinger and x2 Chainfighter
640- X2 Stingers (Drop 1 Stinger)

I hope it is good, I just put down 10 bucks for an order at Auggies to get x3 Stingers.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)

Last edited by GromBloodboy; April 10th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'm between many armies. I want to hear your opinions:

Team 1:

x5 Stingers
x3 PK's
Total: 510 Hexes: 24

Team 2:

x3 Stingers
x3 PK's
Kaemon Awa
Total: 510 Hexes: 19

Team 3:

Torin
Raelin
x3 Stingers
x3 Deathreavers
Total: 500 Hexes: 24

Team 4:

x4 Stingers
Su-Bak-Na
Ne-Gok-Sa
Total: 490 Hexes: 15

Team 5:

Zelrig
x3 Deathreavers
x3 Stingers
Total: 485 Hexes: 23

Tell me your thoughts.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

So... you'll be fielding Stingers?

You have some seriously tough armies there, Especially the first 2 in my opinion. I like #2 but I like Mr. Quick Release.

Any thoughts on reinforcements?

Maybe you could add Stingers.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Well, I like Kaemon Awa because he has a special attack. Team 2 would be better or day 2 reinforcements.

But I put in teams 1 and 4 because the skip from 9 stingers to 12 or 15 is huge.

Zelrig can take out huge armies, but vise-versa.

Torin+Raelin+Deathreavers is just extremely annoying.

Team 5 is my least favorite, but Zelrig is just extremely painful.

I would file teams 4 and 5 as luck teams.

But I do like Ne-Gok-Sa for extreme defense and its 19-20 chance of controlling their guys. Su Bak Na gives this extra percentage to Ne-Gok-Sa. Kee-Mo-Shi would be more effective for mind shacle, but Ne-Gok-Sa has strong defense.

Teams 2 and 5 have special attack advantages.

They all have their ups and downs, but I like them all.

Wait, why were you laughing at me playing stingers? Do you have a team that goes against stingers? Are you from the future? Are you trying to make the universe explode?
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

GromBloodboy, personally I'd rather have nagrubsx1 + Marcu than MBS there. Or nagrubsx1 + Raelin (or nargubsx1 + Deathreaversx2) and one less squad of stingers. Either way, though, it's a solid army.

1red2blue4, I'm not sure I really like the PK/stinger combo, although I could be wrong. I really like team 3 - that army has great theoryscape behind it. And how about this minor modification of team 5?

185 Zelrig
80 Deathreaversx2
240 Stingersx4
505, 22 hexes

Subbing out rats for more stingers gives you a little more offense. If there are some Zelrig-friendly maps in the pool, that could be a very dangerous army.
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like 2 and 4 in particular 1r2b4. Army 4 is similar to my one above, DRAIN-O, except you have NGS. The only problem with NGS is that take him out you can get another set of stingers and MBS who although unreliable, has a chance to truly cripple an opponent. This will also allow you to maxamize you points. The reason I don't see NGS as optimal for that army is he provides no bonus, seeing as there is no warlord bonding. If you were looking for 110 points in tank, Migol would probaly be a better pick. Army 2 would be a great one, but I would like to see your picks for reinforcements on that one.

dok, the only problem that occurs with that idea is reinforcements.

Old April 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Well, I was proposing a change to a 23 hex army, so I actually made it more compact. But 2 hexes is actually not that bad for reinforcements, really. You haven't added Raelin yet, after all. 3 hexes is better, but 2 is not bad.

@ 595, add Raelin+Isamu (24).
@ 615, add Raelin+Eldgrim/Guilty/Air Elemental (24)
@ 635, add Kaemon + Isamu (24), or Torin + Isamu (25, drop Isamu or a rat), or Raelin + Brave Arrow (24)

If you are really so concerned about those less than perfect 615/635 armies, or if you want a different style of play on day 1, you can leave off the rats for Raelin:

80 Raelin
185 Zelrig
240 Stingersx4
505, 15 hexes

That's Jexik's Gamer's Reunion army, and it has nicer upgrades:

@595, add ratsx2 + Isamu (24)
@615, add Marro Warriors + Stingers (22)
@635, add Stingersx2 + Isamu (22)
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM

What about this:

Team 6:

x3 Stingers
x3 PK's
Torin
Total: 510 Hexes: 20
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Creamed by Corn

That is pretty decent. The PK's can chase down units with more range then the Stingers, and the Stingers and Torin can turtle. For reinforcements, your choice is really easy. Take Raelin (RotV).

Old April 12th, 2010, 12:15 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Zelrig 185
Sgt Drake (RotV) 295
3x Axegrinders 505

+Axegrinders/Marcu 595
+Krav/Isamu 615
+Krav/Guilty 635

I wanted to try something different. Zelrig to start, dwarves to continue, Drake to end. Perhaps it's not top tier but it could be a nice anti-meta build.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:59 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Zelrig 185
Sgt Drake (RotV) 295
3x Axegrinders 505

+Axegrinders/Marcu 595
+Krav/Isamu 615
+Krav/Guilty 635

I wanted to try something different. Zelrig to start, dwarves to continue, Drake to end. Perhaps it's not top tier but it could be a nice anti-meta build.
Different is good!

I love the day 2 options. I've never had enough luck with Zelrig, but I think you could do some serious damage, metagame-wise, on a lot of armies in day 1. The non-different tendency would be to sub in the Krav for Drake, but if you can test it and make it work with Drake, I really like it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion