Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old September 21st, 2019, 06:33 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Shurrig's Maps: Hollow Ramparts (New Map)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
What are the restrictions on this? Looks like you're using about half of a RotV set, a road set, and a castle set.
I've used up about all the terrain from those sets save for a couple of 24 hexes and water tiles, but I've tried and it they won't fit without changing the footprint significantly.
Old December 14th, 2019, 11:36 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
You asked for feedback a while ago, so hopefully you're still looking for it.

I feel like there's an over abundance of water on one side of the map. I think that was part of the theme, but it's creating 1 hex walkways which can be easily clogged up. I'd try to make the pathing easier by swapping out 2 hexes of water from each side, so that it's easier to move into the center of the map. As it is now, there's a spot on the other side of the 2hex walls adjacent to the startzone, that I don't think I'd ever move a unit into, because the water and the battlements create a roadblock. Let me draw on the map to try and illustrate what I'm trying to say.

Each color is the path a figure with 6 move could take on it's first turn. The Yellow area is an area that serves no purpose unless you have Flying, or can ignore water with Slither or something. The water and battlements block the movement enough that the area doesn't have much use. It's also possible to block the left side, that RED and GREEN figures would move through, with just 3 figures, making that part of the map very susceptible to clogs.
This and your subsequent analyses are great, Leaf_it!
Old December 14th, 2019, 11:40 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Quote:
I like how you squeezed the treasure glyph in the small opening between the walls on this map. Looks cool.
Thanks! I wanted to see if I could make a "competitive" map using a single BftU set, but that's incredibly difficult. I'm still happy with how it turned out though!
Yeah. I honestly don't think you can make a good competitive map with only 1 BftU for the standard formats - 400+ pt. and 16-24 figs. Maybe in smaller formats or Heat of Battle or something, but I don't think it works with the standard. The best I've seen so far is Dignan's Shards. Typhon's Anvil is pretty good and I just made one I'm pretty happy with. But every one I've seen suffers from dragons, strong melee like Heavies simply rolling through, and/or rats clogging the whole thing.

Basically if you make it so that Zelrig hits big first turn, he's gonna dominate, and if you push the start zones back, then Nilfheim (maybe Braxas too) is going to position himself so that you can't get out of your start zone. I have mine built so that Zelrig can hit but not the full 7, but he still hits 4-5. I was hoping to get it down to 1-3 but couldn't configure it and maintain the other things I wanted in the map. And if you somehow solve this you still have the other two problems I mentioned to tackle.

You just don't get enough terrain to make a map that can run with the rest. If they had given you 2 spare 24 hexes for start zones then you'd probably be fine, but it always feels like you're spending half the map to make your start zones.
Thanks for mentioning Anvil, Cleon. Totally agreed about Dignan's Shards too. (If only it were fully symmetrical! But I probably shouldn't care so much about that.)

And totally agreed about the challenges that a single BftU poses.
Old December 14th, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
It’s really a shame that BftU sets are so expensive, a single set just doesn’t feel like enough to work with. Even using RttFF and FotA with it feels like a challenge
So true!
I think that BftU and FotA together DO offer enough material — JUST enough material — to make interesting and competitive maps. But getting the terrain to stretch far enough really requires learning how to prop up large (24- and 7-hex) tiles on level 2 using a minimum of supporting tiles underneath them on level 1. (I.e., leaving empty void spaces on level 1.)

Desperado and Ariadne below are good examples of this. Desperado in particular. One trick I use there is to use wall bases separately from the walls themselves. Because walls don't NEED to stand on their bases! You can plop walls down directly on terrain tiles. This gives you 21 single-hex wall base tiles which you can use on lower levels to prop up other, larger, tiles. This is huge!

Old January 3rd, 2020, 07:55 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks @Typhon2222 ! Man, it's been a while since I posted on this thread. These maps look super nice and I'm hoping to play on Desparado soon.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 08:27 PM

Shurrig's Maps: Happy New Year! Exalted and Forging Fires

Happy New Year 'Scapers! I come to you all with two finished maps, Exalted (which should have been shared long ago) and Forging Fires! And just so you know, both of these maps use Treasure Glyphs (represented by Brandar) and I made sure to specify this in the instructions. Happy scaping!

Exalted

Forging Fires
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I like how you squeezed the treasure glyph in the small opening between the walls on this map. Looks cool.
Thanks! I wanted to see if I could make a "competitive" map using a single BftU set, but that's incredibly difficult. I'm still happy with how it turned out though!
Yeah. I honestly don't think you can make a good competitive map with only 1 BftU for the standard formats - 400+ pt. and 16-24 figs. Maybe in smaller formats or Heat of Battle or something, but I don't think it works with the standard. The best I've seen so far is Dignan's Shards. Typhon's Anvil is pretty good and I just made one I'm pretty happy with. But every one I've seen suffers from dragons, strong melee like Heavies simply rolling through, and/or rats clogging the whole thing.

Basically if you make it so that Zelrig hits big first turn, he's gonna dominate, and if you push the start zones back, then Nilfheim (maybe Braxas too) is going to position himself so that you can't get out of your start zone. I have mine built so that Zelrig can hit but not the full 7, but he still hits 4-5. I was hoping to get it down to 1-3 but couldn't configure it and maintain the other things I wanted in the map. And if you somehow solve this you still have the other two problems I mentioned to tackle.

You just don't get enough terrain to make a map that can run with the rest. If they had given you 2 spare 24 hexes for start zones then you'd probably be fine, but it always feels like you're spending half the map to make your start zones.
Thanks for mentioning Anvil, Cleon. Totally agreed about Dignan's Shards too. (If only it were fully symmetrical! But I probably shouldn't care so much about that.)

And totally agreed about the challenges that a single BftU poses.
Asymmetrical maps are underrated.
Old August 17th, 2022, 01:05 PM

Hello Again-- New Map "Dried River"

Hello, it's been a minute.

I'm sure like many of you, I was beyond thrilled to hear that Heroscape is coming back, and coming back in a big way it seems! I never got to play 'scape when it was in print, heck I hadn't even heard of it until I started college back in 2016, so getting to purchase a brand new set was a big dream of mine. I've been keeping up with the updates over the past week or so (shout out to @Sir Heroscape for the update vids) and I gotta say, some of these new units have got me SHOOK. Nevertheless, more 'scape is good 'scape, and so I plan on being more active here in the coming months.

With that, I have a new map I'd like to show off!
Dried River

It seems all the images of my old maps have magically vanished! There are plenty of maps here I still like (all my original .hsc files died along with my laptop a couple years ago) but I'm planning on reorganizing this thread a bit once I have some free time. Anyway, hope you all enjoy and LONG LIVE HEROSCAPE!!!
Old August 17th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Hello Again-- New Map "Dried River"

Looks like fun, fast games.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 4th, 2022, 11:11 PM

NEW MAP: Bleakwoode Corridor

New map here! I've been playtesting this map over the past week or so and have been really enjoying the flow of it, I hope you guys try it out for yourself!

Bleakwoode Corridor
Old September 16th, 2022, 07:11 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: NEW MAP: Bleakwoode Corridor

Bleakwoode Corridor looks fun, I'd play on it. The flat area behind the ruins is nice to develop up to and has a nice path to the road for switching between sides, and I like that it's harder to reach from the closer SZ due to the the ruins placement. It has a good aesthetic too and keeps from having any real dragon perches, although Zelrig has an option for a turn 1 7-hex bomb. I think that'd only be an issue at max SZ though.
Old September 30th, 2022, 12:22 PM

Re: Shurrig's Maps- NEW MAP: STECHAVAN

What's up! With the upcoming Haslab campaign for new 'scape coming up, I felt it would be a great time to show off this map I've been working on! I wanted to make a lore map based off the Battle of Stechavan as mentioned in Thormun's Journal, so here it is! (and yes, I took some minor liberties with the story and changed a couple things)

STECHAVAN

Backstory:
There rages a battle in the southern regions of Nastralund as the war for the wellsprings continue. A red dragon soars above the battleground and sets the fortress on the hill aflame, leaving only a line of smoldering earth in its place. Stechavan, once a stronghold for Jandar's forces, has fallen.

A horde of orcs quickly charged the hill with their lumbering troll as the army led by the Sergeant and his knights retreated downhill. It seemed that the men were meant to lose their lives that day when a miracle happened. A horn from the sky was heard, and appearing over the Northern mountains of Nastralund was the Green Kyrie and her sentinels. As she impaled the ferocious dragons with her spear, the Kyrie summoned her reinforcements to dispatch the foes. A fearsome giant and a swarm of serpents appeared through the brush and clashed against the orc horde, decimating their ranks. Not even the troll's wounded rage could compare to the raw strength of the giant, and the frenzied serpents soon overwhelmed the orcs. The Sergeant's men had been saved that day, and as the red dragon fell from the heights the remainder of the enemy army scurried back to their masters. Though lost, the Ruins of Stechavan has sinced served as a reminder to Utgar that Jandar and his allies remain stalwart in their defense for Valhalla and the wellsprings.

Last edited by Shurrig; September 30th, 2022 at 02:52 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios