Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old March 18th, 2021, 03:05 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2021 Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ruler View Post
Yeah if you read the full announcement it's going to be limited capacity so who knows how many people and what events will happen in person.
Exactly. What does limited mean? Like we only have space for 8 maps? Or only 20,000 people get to go? If so how does that process work? Like I said lots of questions.

Also school is typically back in session during those times which eliminates a decent crowd, though that might be their game plan anyway??
I expect that's a feature and not a bug. Provides outside pressure on keeping the size down.

Given Brad's academic load, we're not going to be able to come to a mid-September GenCon. It's pretty unlikely I'd want to come without him, though I guess I can wait and see what the plan looks like and decide then. Probably not, though (like many others) I'll have my vaccine by then.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 2nd, 2021, 10:57 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Any updates from the GC powers that be?

Also, for the HS'er GC Admins...how realistic is it that you all will still try to have heroscape events now that GC is on? Just trying to think about logistics and money.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old April 5th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Besides it being in September ?

Logistically if Walt isn't attending I can get the terrain there no problem but I know even with vaccinations a lot of my crew have already opted out.

Between attendance restrictions and people voluntarily opting out I think it will feel like Gen Con 20002 as far as numbers go

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old April 5th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

If I don't have some kind of assurance that others in attendance are not vaccinated then I won't go. It boggles my mind that some people are choosing not to protect themselves from a terrible disease but, as my mother-in-law says, "these are the conditions that exist."

= =
Old April 5th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
If I don't have some kind of assurance that others in attendance are not vaccinated then I won't go. It boggles my mind that some people are choosing not to protect themselves from a terrible disease but, as my mother-in-law says, "these are the conditions that exist."
I understand where you're coming from, but I worry that line of 'absolute' thinking essentially means never going anywhere with a large group for the rest of your life. Assuming Covid never truly goes away (which seems likely, at least for the ensuing decade(s) if not longer; think seasonal flu) what becomes the distinguishing point for attending public events again if it isn't you being personally vaccinated? I don't mean that as a rhetorical question, I'd genuinely like to know you're thinking there because understanding other's thoughts on safety concerns like this is going to be essential to regaining any level of normalcy. Is this your feeling on just GenCon 2021, or also 2022 (and if it's different, can you elaborate on why)?

I suppose, to me, 'assurance' of 100% of other's personal choices just seems like an impossible standard to ever be achieved.

It certainly seems true that others being vaccinated lowers your risk a small amount more than just you being personally vaccinated, but how much different is that risk from a (likely much higher) percent of attendees not being vaccinated against the flu during any other year?

I'd bet heavily that GenCon (2021, 2022, ...2050) and any other large gathering of humans in the future (concerts/sports/weddings/schools/malls/etc.) will be heavily vaccinated (higher than normal flu rates), but never 100%, against Covid, just like we've seen in past years with the flu (especially during harsher flu seasons). Frankly I wonder how many people catch the flu during an 'average' GenCon (I have no idea, could be 1, could be 100).

Please don't misinterpret any of this as a stance against taking the vaccine; I'm on the wait list in MA and want to get it as soon as I can to help reduce overall societal risk (I'm 26 & in good health, risk to me is relatively low). I just think a more realistic/pragmatic view than 100% or nothing is going to be needed moving forward.
Old April 5th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

If some insignificant number of people weren't vaccinated, I wouldn't care. For exactly the reasons you say. I wish we were speaking of some relatively insignificant number. But I don't think we are.

I don't know what the science will look like in September, and I've already said it's not likely I'm coming anyway. But if new variants are still floating around and there's still uncertainty about how the vaccines protect against them, I think it's likely I'd still choose to be cautious.

edit: My thinking could be completely wrong on this, but if the vaccine provided *reduced*, but still somewhat effective, protection against a virus variant, then we'd still be pretty well-protected in a fully vaccinated crowd. But if the crowd is 60/40 or 70/30 or 80/20 vaccinated, then it becomes *far* more likely that I'm going to be exposed to the more dangerous variant. Please explain if I'm screwing up that analysis, but I think that's the right of it.

= =
Old April 5th, 2021, 01:07 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I hear you; the risk levels certainly do change if looking at such large swings (the gap between 60/40 - 80/20 to 95/5 are probably all significant), although I'm not medically knowledgeable enough to be able to quantify the significance of each of those gaps as well as I would like.

If I had to guess (and it'd be a super rough guess), I'd guess that Gencon 2021 falls somewhere around the 80/20 mark. If I was betting $, I'd probably take the 'over' (more than 80% vaccinated), but I think drawing the 'expected' line right around 80/20 seems reasonable at this point.

What percentage would you find safe enough? I'm not so much asking for Gencon 2021, but more just in general (future Gencons, other events, etc.). How would you feel about the risk associated with 90/10, 95/5, or 98/2? I'm curious both personally and because, as I mentioned previously, the better we can understand the risk tolerances of others the more likely we all are to be able to plan events now and in the future to maximize attendance and what each person can get out of it.
Old April 5th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

So many things to think about! One factor would be my confidence in my own vaccine protection. If I feel like I'm 85% protected against a variant and maybe 10% of my fellow gamers are not vaccinated, I feel pretty good about going. I expect I'd go if the numbers weren't quite so favorable, as well.

Mostly I'd try to figure out what actual scientific experts are saying about decisions like that, of course. I find evidence, and the input of actual experts, to be extremely helpful in decisionmaking.

= =
Old May 24th, 2021, 03:30 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

1. Hahnarama

GAME OVER Moon Pie!

Last edited by Hahnarama; May 24th, 2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:51 PM

Tiny Timmy knows what's in an order marker Tiny Timmy knows what's in an order marker

1. Hahnarama
2. Tiny Timmy

Due to the Marine Corps keeping me away from 2014 to 2019 and then the Covid hitting last year. I'm going, sad to see no Heroscape there; but I'll be there wondering around. ya'll want to meet up somewhere I'm down.
(Also, just signed up for a hotel. Rn by myself and I asked them to send me info about adding people. Wouldnt mind rooming with some folks.)
Old June 17th, 2021, 01:32 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

1. Hahnarama
2. Tiny Timmy
3. Lefton4ya (plus possible friends)

I am going to be demoing for Restoration Games (Heroscape designer Rob Daviau's company) again in the evenings (6-10). Unmatched Legacy Vol 2, Downforce with new expansion Wild Ride, and Stop Thief. I may even bring Star Wars Epic Duels converted to Unmatched so you can play Darth Vader vs King Arthur or Anakin and Padme vs Velociraptors, etc.

However I have all day free - if you are coming let me know if you want to play some games. I can even bring some Heroscape if people want to maybe have 3-4 maps somewhere to have 8 person tournaments.
Old July 3rd, 2021, 02:40 AM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker

1. Hahnarama
2. Tiny Timmy
3. Lefton4ya (plus possible friends)
4. Jdtenor

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con