Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old January 5th, 2020, 01:02 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

Absolutely! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Playtest for Rania

Map: Sirocco

420 Point Armies

Army 1: Rania, 2x Armoc Vipers, 2x Aubrien Archers, Guilty

Army 2: Deathchasers x4, Ogre Pulverizer, Me-Burq-Sa, Marro Warriors

Glyphs: Move +2, Initiative

General Summary: The game started with Death chasers and Me-Burq-Sa advancing across the board while Rania set up shop in an advantageous spot in the middle with Archers and Armocs staying close in order to benefit from Ullar's Fire. The Archers came were able to stem the tide of advancing deathchasers fairly well, with Rania helping to pick off a couple figures that were able to get through.

The two armies traded steady blows without either really pulling ahead until Me-Burq-Sa got close enough to shoot Rania. He hit her with 4 wounds in one turn, and then finished her off on the next turn after hitting the roll for paralyzing stare. After Rania went down, Armocs and Archers went down quickly as well. Guilty staged an incredible come back by himself, taking down Me-Burq-Sa and the Marro Warriors essentially singlehandedly, but in the end, the Ogre Pulverizer caught up to him and made short work of him.

The game ended with a 4 life Ogre Pulverizer and 1 Deathchaser remaining.

Rania killed 2 Deathchasers with her normal attack. On both attacks, she rolled 2/3 skulls the first roll, but got to reroll the one she missed because of Ullar's Light. On both occassions she rolled a skull the second time - causing her to go 3/3 on both attacks. It is worth noting that neither of those extra skulls were the reason she killed the 2 deathchasers. They would've died anyway.

Ullar's Fire was successful 3 out of 5 times. 1 Wound was placed on Me-Burq-Sa, and 2 Deathchasers were killed. All in all, Rania did about 90 points worth of damage. I did utilize her mostly as a cheerleader - backing up Aubrien Archers. I think she could have done more damage if I'd used her a little more aggressively.

My Thoughts: Rania seemed to work well with the Armoc's. Having the shot at Ullar's Fire was a nice consolation for losing one. As the card is currently worded, it doesn't seem entirely clear if Rania gets to use Ullar's Fire multiple times when facing an opponent's army that had bonding, or is playing an army like Wyrmlings or Elementals where multiple turns are being taken.
Personally, I like the idea of combining this iteration with a previous idea you had and having the d-20 roll for Ullar's Fire happen immediately after an ullar figure you control is destroyed. While I like that idea the most, I don't know how much that special in general fits the mini. I would expect something like that more from a Wizard or Battlemage than a Warlord. While personally it doesn't bother me, I can see why others might take issue with that part of the design.

Keep up the good work!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 6th, 2020, 01:27 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Apparently turn interruption is a no-no for SoV. Rania may use the power only at the end of a turn in which a friendly figure that follows Ullar is destroyed, and only once for that turn, and potentially 3 times in a Round. Thematically, I don’t believe there’ll be any objections. My concerns are about how she plays. Is she fun? Are the 2 powers balanced against each other? How would it affect play if the range of the powers was reduced? Would she be less likely to be relegated to cheerleader status? Or does Ullar’s Fire belong on another figure? Or should I embrace her cheerleaderness and find another power complimentary to it?

Old January 6th, 2020, 06:21 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

Apparently turn interruption is a no-no for SoV. Rania may use the power only at the end of a turn in which a friendly figure that follows Ullar is destroyed, and only once for that turn, and potentially 3 times in a Round. Thematically, I don’t believe there’ll be any objections. My concerns are about how she plays. Is she fun? Are the 2 powers balanced against each other? How would it affect play if the range of the powers was reduced? Would she be less likely to be relegated to cheerleader status? Or does Ullar’s Fire belong on another figure? Or should I embrace her cheerleaderness and find another power complimentary to it?

As far as turn interruption is concerned - I think it depends. I wouldn't say it's a no-no all together, but it would have to meet certain criteria. Rolling attack dice wouldn't be acceptable, but I believe a d-20 roll could be. Look at the Cathar Spearmen or Nakita Agents for example. Technically, it's a turn interruption when they roll for braced spear or engagement strike respectively. However that is not nearly as disruptive or problematic as pausing an opponent's turn to roll attack dice (which can then trigger other abilities and so on). As far as Ullar's Fire is concerned, please don't take my word as gospel - I'm just expressing personal preferences. For me, it feels more natural for the d-20 roll to happen immediately after a figure is destroyed, but that is entirely personal opinion and others would disagree with it.

As far as your other questions - I think she enhanced the fun of the Armoc Vipers (and probably the elves too). In my game, she was definitely more of a cheerleader than anything else. Though it was nice that she seemed fairly adept at taking out a squad figure or two with her normal attack if necessary. I don't know that she feels very much like a warlord with how she's played... Some of your others questions would need more playtesting to answer. Ullar's Fire does feel like it belongs more on a Wizard or Battlemage type figure, but again, that's my personal opinion.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 7th, 2020, 10:15 AM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Wanting Rania to be a fighter rather than a cheerleader. Instead of Ullar’s Fire:

ULLAR’S FIRE
When Rania attacks an opponent’s figure and inflicts a wound, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, that opponent’s figure and each opponent’s figures adjacent to that opponent’s figure receives a wound.

Now she has to fight to benefit from Ullar’s Fire.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 7th, 2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 10:08 AM

Well met!

Round and round we go; where we stop, . . .

It’s difficult to articulate why I have not been able to come up with a satisfactory set of powers for Rania. The dichotomy between her being both a fighter and a leader is likely the main issue. I haven’t been able to find a balance.

Playtesting alone with a limited number of figures, especially for one with such a relatively narrow breadth of experience. I’ll go back to the drawing board upon my return from Jamaica in 2 weeks.

What this time testing has done is teach me to more fully appreciate what a rare, wonderful thing we all accomplished in the creation of Kha. Within the Ullar-centric environment required to test Rania, Kha has seen a lot of action, with the Rogue faction and Brigands and on his own hook. I’ve learned to play much better in general and with Kha in particular, and enjoyed even more how he plays.

Looking forward to my return.

Scape on my friends!

Old January 23rd, 2020, 07:50 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

All hail Kha the Magnificent! Keep striving for that level of success.
Old January 24th, 2020, 10:18 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

You may have set the bar too high with Kha.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 09:51 AM

Well met!

I forgot all about this thread! The previous post is so ironic, given that Kha was eventually inducted into the SoV. Mucked around a bit since then with a few customs, as some of you know, but nothing really gelled - until now. Although just in the beginning stages of development, I'm delighted to present this beautiful sculpt

Pathfinder Battles Iconic Heroes #4, Lirianne, Half-Elf Gunslinger

and the Card I've created for it (actually mac122 did) to those who have been so supportive of my previous efforts. Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by kolakoski; July 2nd, 2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old July 4th, 2023, 10:14 AM

Well met!

As SoV has indicated a preference for alien/space figures, the following could work with similar stats to Gráinne O'Hara's.

Cad Bane from Pathfinder minis Star Wars, Galaxy at War

Captain Kliig
General: Vydar
Clone, Unique Hero, Outlaw, Reckless, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 5, Range 7, Attack 3, Defense 3

Double Attack
When Captain Kliig attacks, he may attack one additional time.

Point Blank
If Captain Kliig targets an adjacent figure, add an additional attack die to the attack.

Scourge of the Seven Seas
After taking a turn with Captain Kliig, you may take a turn with a squad of Rogues under your control.

Old July 5th, 2023, 09:05 AM

Well met!

Played my first ever online games with Dr. Goomonkey yesterday, testing Gráinne O'Hara.

He played Orcs and I played

140 Buccaneers x 2
120 Gráinne O'Hara
110 Laglor
100 Tombstone Gunslingers x 4
70 Josie Whistlestop
60 Elaria the Pale
600 points, 16 spaces

The first game was on Wyrmwalk and I was beaten quickly. The map was a bit confusing for me and I was overly aggressive with Gráinne. In the second game we played on Ticalla Sunrise. The map was much easier to see, and I fared a bit better. Dr. Goomonkey beat me to the high ground glyph, which was an ideal, for him, +1 Attack, and then won a key initiative roll. Gráinne did much better, killing a number of points worth of units, but she was over exposed and went down fairly quickly. We agreed she is probably properly priced, and I found her to be fun and play as expected, but 4 Life and 4 Range makes her a bit vulnerable. It's tempting to give her Range 7, like every other pistolero in my army, but I have a feeling that it would mess with her unique flavor and possibly her pricing, especially if the implication is that her pistols are no longer flintlocks, so I'm leaving her as is for now. The Gang is playing today, and I will be fielding this army. I will try and play Gráinne more conservatively and keep Laglor close by. Also Order Marker management is tough for this army, to maximize the usefulness of the Tombstone Gunslingers.

High Noon
A Tombstone Gunslinger rolls an additional attack die for each Unique Outlaw Hero you control within 2 clear sight spaces of that Tombstone Gunslinger, up to a maximum of 2 additional attack dice.

They too need to stay close to Laglor. It may well be that investing points in the Outlaw faction is generally a waste, and she should be a Rogue, but a similar consideration - more Buccaneers, less of anything else - would likely arise, and OMs being on Brigands instead of on her might be an issue. And then there is the possible affect on her price, which I'm trying to keep at around 120 points.

Anyways, looking forward to today, and I'll, of course, let you all know how things went.

Old July 5th, 2023, 10:34 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Good to see how you are using this army, for our game later today.

Mwahaha!
Old July 5th, 2023, 11:39 PM

Well met!

The Gang played Thrasher's Wildwood Scenario today. I played the following army in the first game.

140 Buccaneers x 2
120 Gráinne O'Hara
110 Laglor
100 Tombstone Gunslingers x 4
70 Josie Whistlestop
60 Elaria the Pale
600 points, 16 spaces

We called the game after several Rounds to revise the scenario. It was enough play for me to realize that it was too difficult to get the maximum benefit from the Gunslingers, which wasn't much in this context anyway, and that this army was an Order Marker nightmare. We revised the scenario, and I revised my army, for a second game. It is featured below.

210 Buccaneers x 3
120 Gráinne O'Hara
110 Laglor
100 Jarek Guy
60 Elaria the Pale
600 points, 16 spaces

This time we played to completion, and my revised army did quite well. OM management was easy. However, the Buccaneers are tricky to play - for me anyways. Their melee defense is very weak. After some initial success, they took heavy losses. Of course, by that time we were in a free for all situation that I had not adequately prepared for. Gráinne O'Hara got a full test. She was fun to play and effective. The key moment for her came near the end of the game. She was carrying the Branch that was required to be taken back to the Start Zone for victory. Q9 alone stood in her way. She was attacking him from height with that and Jungle giving her a defense of 5. Q9's Queglix Gun Special Attack was bouncing off, so Q9 moved adjacent to her. Note: Fairly often, for various reasons, Flintlock Pistols was not rolled until after defense dice were rolled. So . . . she attacked Point Blank. Her first shot was a mere one skull, but Q9 wiffed. Her second shot generated four skulls - and Q9 wiffed again! Dead! We only then remembered to roll Flintlock Pistols for each roll. Her first shot was OK, but her second misfired! Q9 survived, Gráinne did not, and Q9 carried off the Branch. Q9 lost in a dramatic finish moments later, being cut off and trapped in Water just short of the Start Zone by Dreadgul Raiders using Berserker Charge.

I believe I've learned enough to justify posting her in the Pre-SoV Workshop thread, and look forward to the process of refining her.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards