Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM

Nabsten is surprisingly tart
Nabsten Custom Glyph --Eye of Vecna

I decided to give customs a try. For my first one I decided to try an "Ancient Artifact" as we saw in the Road to the Underdark Scenario.

I decided that I would like to do a traditional D&D artifact, so I looked through my old D&D books.

After searching through the artifacts listed in my DMG (Dungeon Masters Guide for those not in the know) I decided that it would be really cool to do the Hand and Eye of Vecna. This is actually 2 seperate artifacts, but if a character has them bothe, they gain additional powers.

I have completed the Eye and I am working on the Hand. Additionally, I will do a card with special powers, in case a character should possess them both. I thought this would be an interesting concept.

The Eye of Vecna has alot of special powers (it is a MAJOR Artifact after all). I didn't want to lose the spirit of the item, so I actually made 3 cards for it.

Here is a quick background, courtesy of D&D 3.5 DMG:
"The Hand and Eye of Vecna: The archlich Vecna may have been the most powerful wizard ever to have lived. He may also have been the most evil. Apparently risen now to deityhood, he left behind relics embodying remnants of his power—the mummified remains of his hand and his eye."

Here is how I developed the powers.

Bearer of the Eye: In the book, a character must put the Eye of Vecna in their own empty eyesocket. If it is removed, they die. The effects of the item, both positive and negative, will only take effect if the character chooses to activate the item.

Grotesque Appearance: Characters who use the Eye, lose charisma. I decided that if it makes the characters appearance that much worse, then when translated to Heroscape, opponents of that figure would especially want to kill it, due to the hideous appearance. Thus, the extra attack die.

Darkvision: This is the ability to see in the dark. The only time I could see this being useful is against characters using the new Hide in Darkness ability.

Eyebite: This is a spell which has powers similar to those described. I thought about using "remove all order markers" for the Panick ability, but I didn't want figures to be activated by synergy, so I worded it the way I did.

Domination is the same as Mind-Shackle, but I kept the D&D name.

Destruction: This power is the same as that on the bolt of witherwood, but with a higher roll.

I also wanted to limit this item to medium figures. However, some mounted figures should be able to use it also (ex. Sir Dupuis) Any ideas on how to word that?

I haven't playtested this yet. I tried to make it powerful (supporting the nature of the item), but still keeping it playable. Any constructive feedback is truly appreciated.

I am working on the Hand of Vecna card now.

Great Trades with SuperflyTNT, Padlock, Warmonger321, HiloScaper, Boromir_and_Kermit, and southwest ninja

My other hobby: www.nerokentucky.com
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Nabsten Custom Glyph --Eye of Vecna

Holy Poop! That's a lot of powers. This glyph has some cool idea's but the powers are WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY too strong. Like Eyebite. The Comalescence is way to unfair. You should let the figure roll defense. Also, what is the purpose of Bearer of the Eye?

EDIT: Saw the limited powers thing. I guess it isn't that overpowering. It that for every power?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:52 PM

Nabsten is surprisingly tart

It is designed so that each limited power can be used once per game. They are limited in the D&D version, so I thought it was appropriate, and would limit the items power. The first card is special powers that are "constant."

I thought it might be a cool item to give characters toward the end of a big dungeon, or even an ongoing campaign.

The point of the Bearer of the Eye is that a figure may pick up and carry the item, but will not gain any benefits/penalties unless they choose to "activate" the item. (In D&D, the character has to cut out their own eye and replace it with the Eye of Vecna or they don't gain any powers. Also, they die if it is removed.)

This is one of the most powerful items in D&D (at least in the books I have).

Great Trades with SuperflyTNT, Padlock, Warmonger321, HiloScaper, Boromir_and_Kermit, and southwest ninja

My other hobby: www.nerokentucky.com
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

I could see this being placed in a side room with a really strong boss to make balance out it's power.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs