Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old January 19th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Got in a game of Pairs with my daughters before they went to bed.

We didn't play the Venture variant of it this time, but rather played the base game version. However, instead of a single round where there's one loser as soon as they reach the threshold (21 points in a 3 player game), we played 3 games of it (one for each player, like Council of Verona) and kept track of scores from game to game. So then after the 3rd game, the players with the fewest points would be the winner. Fun "push your luck" game (base game anyway).

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
How about "trouble & strife" or "ball & chain"?

Have heard of "ball & chain" but "trouble & strife" is a new one to me.

Old January 19th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I played San Juan with the family tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Played the first scenario of Imperial Assault this morning and it is just as I feared, LoB loves it and I would rather play Descent. Oh well, it is better than playing nothing and I do like the alternating activation and LoS changes.

We played 2 games of Splendor yesterday and the wife liked it, which is always a plus. She tied for the win in the 2nd game and I lost both, so that could have helped her like it.
Ahh yesss, the good old behind-the-scenes "Meta-Game " to encourage Noobs to continue participating. It sure is "better than playing nothing" or sleeping on the couch. As I have heard significant-others threaten during casual family friendly sessions of "Carcassonne," i.e. Her: "If you put that bleeped tile there and screw up MY farmers, you'll be in the doghouse tonight!" Him: "Yes, dear. Is this a more appropriate location to place this tile?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
How about "trouble & strife" or "ball & chain"?
Have heard of "ball & chain" but "trouble & strife" is a new one to me.
Yeah me too. Personally, it torques me to hear guys referring to their spouses as "my better half" and always encourage them to not put themselves down and say instead, "my other half," thus emphasizing the duality of the relationship without belittling either partner. I think what really crosses the line into the realm of disrespect is such terms of endearment as "That WITCH," or "The Old Battle Axe," etc. Because some women just don't seem to see the humor in it.

Meanwhile, I finally got to play "Love Letter" last night with Mrs. G., the Commander in Chief (CinC) of the Home Front, and our daughter-in-law while her mate was glued to the TV watching the big football games yesterday. Something about a Fantasy League that he is still in. Last week the four of us had ANOTHER session of "Carcassonne" But this time I suggested that we leave out the King, Robber Baron, and Phantom Meeples to may scoring a little easier. I guess my brain just wasn't into it or maybe it was because they gamed up on me for playing TOO Cut-Throat, but I came in dead last after laying 234 tiles(T+328, C=293, B=257, me=200).

Yesterday I also finished reading the basic rules and skirmish rules for Star Wars: Imperial Assault." So today I 'solitaired' three rounds of the tutorial scenario to get a feel for it. Just like in Heroscape, it sux when your hero tries to defend herself with blanks three times in a row or when the Probe Droid rolls the triple block three times in a row. Is anyone else having a problem with these new dice?

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; January 19th, 2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Addaed additional add-ons to avoid posting duplicate posts.
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Interesting. Second time in a week that I have heard, about Splendor, that "the wife liked it."
You didn't hear that from me, but that's because I would have said that my wife likes it.

I dunno, but something about a guy calling his wife "the wife" just seems so disrespectful to me...
Yeah, calling the 'ol lady "the wife" is kind of disrespectful for sure.
Oh I am extremely disrespectful, but never to The Wife. As a matter of fact, it is the second most heavily punished offense in my house, next to lying. LoB can attest to that. Nothing gets me out of my chair quicker than hearing what I believe to be disrespect from one of my kids. That reminds me of a time I told my mother to "Shut up". My father, not known for any athletic prowess, appeared like a cat from out of nowhere with an open hand to my still moving mouth. I had even double checked he wasn't nearby before uttering those shameful words. My siblings and I reminisce on his super human moves like that every time we get together. Classic.
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:18 AM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Yesterday I also finished reading the basic rules and skirmish rules for Star Wars: Imperial Assault." So today I 'solitaired' three rounds of the tutorial scenario to get a feel for it. Just like in Heroscape, it sux when your hero tries to defend herself with blanks three times in a row or when the Probe Droid rolls the triple block three times in a row. Is anyone else having a problem with these new dice?
Im not as concerned about blocks as much I am the Dodge on the white die. I can pierce or do extra damage to get around the blocks but theres nothing an Imp player can do to get around a Dodge. Had that happen 3 times in a row against Mak when all I need was a couple more wounds on him.

After a handful of mission games and some solo games in skirmish I really like what they've done with the dice. Ive never played Decent so I don't have anything to really compare to other than Heroscape. I like how the White die doesn't give crap for blocks but it does have the Dodge. So while your hero might get slapped around a bit there is that chance to avoid the entire attack. My players are starting to understand the dice better as well. For instance the Mak player has really learned to stay in Covert and use the accuracy on the 2x blue dice to shoot from across the map.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Quote:
Im not as concerned about blocks as much I am the Dodge on the white die. I can pierce or do extra damage to get around the blocks but theres nothing an Imp player can do to get around a Dodge. Had that happen 3 times in a row against Mak when all I need was a couple more wounds on him.

After a handful of mission games and some solo games in skirmish I really like what they've done with the dice. Ive never played Decent so I don't have anything to really compare to other than Heroscape. I like how the White die doesn't give crap for blocks but it does have the Dodge. So while your hero might get slapped around a bit there is that chance to avoid the entire attack. My players are starting to understand the dice better as well. For instance the Mak player has really learned to stay in Covert and use the accuracy on the 2x blue dice to shoot from across the map.
I like the fact that the attack dice don't have any auto miss results. I also like how combat is a lot closer. It's tough to one shot a bad guy, though throw in cleave, blast, snap kick, brutal cleave, hammer and anvil, etc, it makes for a lot tougher choices than in Descent imo.

The white dice is awesome. Sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you get that dodge right when you need it. Throw in Foresight or Take cover and you get a lot more decisions than say in regular Descent. I also like how strain seems to be a much bigger deal than it was in Descent.

Last night Vader was able to find Luke on the very last turn of the mission. I almost had him, it was so close. My daughter played it very well. The more I play the Rebels the more I think Fenn is the all star of their team.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I like the fact that the attack dice don't have any auto miss results. I also like how combat is a lot closer. It's tough to one shot a bad guy, though throw in cleave, blast, snap kick, brutal cleave, hammer and anvil, etc, it makes for a lot tougher choices than in Descent imo.

The white dice is awesome. Sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you get that dodge right when you need it. Throw in Foresight or Take cover and you get a lot more decisions than say in regular Descent. I also like how strain seems to be a much bigger deal than it was in Descent.

Last night Vader was able to find Luke on the very last turn of the mission. I almost had him, it was so close. My daughter played it very well. The more I play the Rebels the more I think Fenn is the all star of their team.
I actually miss the X on the blue Descent die. I guess I need to play more, which I will be forced to, to find what I can like better about IA vs Descent. Another thing I miss is the variety in the starting character choices, but that may only be a real comparison against Descent 1.0. I don't remember how many came with Descent 2.0, but we have so many choices for starting characters now. I also find myself wanting to put the creatures from Descent into IA. I am sure once we get deep into the campaign I will start to care about my IA characters, but I will never care as much as I did for Grisban the Thirsty (aka The Blind).
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I actually miss the X on the blue Descent die. I guess I need to play more, which I will be forced to, to find what I can like better about IA vs Descent. Another thing I miss is the variety in the starting character choices, but that may only be a real comparison against Descent 1.0. I don't remember how many came with Descent 2.0, but we have so many choices for starting characters now. I also find myself wanting to put the creatures from Descent into IA. I am sure once we get deep into the campaign I will start to care about my IA characters, but I will never care as much as I did for Grisban the Thirsty (aka The Blind).
Also remember Descent has like 342354 expansions out already and IA has 1/2 of one so far. Variety will happen (I hope).

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; January 20th, 2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: X on a blue dice? What are you one of those ranged guys? Mine was always on the red dice staring at me when I rolled it.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also remember Descent has like 342354 expansions out already and IA has 1/2 of one so far. Variety will happen (I hope).
Descent 1.0 had 20 heroes, 2.0 only 8, and IA 6, so I guess it is about the same. Less plastic + more money over time equals reality.

EDIT: Oh no!!!! Just got off the phone with LoB to confirm those numbers and found out he and Cat_Scaper are playing Imperial Assault right now. Guess I am really stuck now.
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:42 PM

We have been playing Race! Formula 90 non-stop at work the past week or so and mainly Splendor and Imperial Assault at home. Loving Formula 90 as I have been waiting for a good racing sim for a long time. It is better than Formula D by leaps and bounds, although I would still recommend Formula D as a family game. Liking Splendor quite a bit and so is everyone at the house except LoB. Still meh about IA, but it is still a fun game.
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
We have been playing Race! Formula 90 non-stop at work the past week or so and mainly Splendor and Imperial Assault at home. Loving Formula 90 as I have been waiting for a good racing sim for a long time. It is better than Formula D by leaps and bounds, although I would still recommend Formula D as a family game. Liking Splendor quite a bit and so is everyone at the house except LoB. Still meh about IA, but it is still a fun game.

Have you ever tried Thunder Alley G-O? I have been looking into getting that to have a racing game to my collection, though I'm not a NASCAR fan. I've heard a lot of good things about the game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games