Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:58 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Workshop Thread

After playing on Ruined City a bit in preparation for a local tournament, I have decided to rework the map a bit. The changes are not drastic, so any playtests that have been done won't be completely useless.

Ruined City

Old October 5th, 2018, 12:25 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

@Leaf_It I'm not sure I'm seeing the changes. would you mind pointing out the changes you made and why?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 5th, 2018, 01:15 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Alright, lets get some side by side viewing here.

Right in between to the ruin, and the castle pillars, theres a Raelin perch, on what was at the time the highest level on the map.
The distance to the glyphs was uneven for each player. it is now even. I also moved the single hexes that were there, and replaced them with a double hex.
I rerouted the roads so that they are all on level one, which increases their usability. The bump only really slowed everything down.
Their was a lot of level 3, which was the highest, and that was a little bland. Now there are 2 single hexes on level 4, which should make gameplay a little more interesting.
I changed the startzones because they felt spindly, and now they are more evenly shaped.
Old October 5th, 2018, 01:38 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Indeed. I see the changes now! that was very helpful. I do think the changes are an improvement too. to review.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 6th, 2018, 02:19 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

to review Ruined City.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have a question-- How for back in contests may we request for workshopping maps, and if so, what counts as a revised map? I know that a while ago I sent in a 2nd version of my map "Henge Arena" in for workshopping, and although it kept to its theme, it was essentially an entirely new build. I'm asking so because I have a revised version of "Swamp Fire" from the Valhallan Wasteland contest, but it again is rather different.
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
I have a question-- How for back in contests may we request for workshopping maps, and if so, what counts as a revised map? I know that a while ago I sent in a 2nd version of my map "Henge Arena" in for workshopping, and although it kept to its theme, it was essentially an entirely new build. I'm asking so because I have a revised version of "Swamp Fire" from the Valhallan Wasteland contest, but it again is rather different.
Any contest (...though who know that might change over time). I think we would want to see the map has basically the same footprint but the changes made to it addressed the concerns we had when we gave our reviews/feedback. If it’s really an entirely new map that doesn’t really resemble the original build, then I’d be a little concerned. But go ahead and post it before you submit it for review and we’ll let you know what we think.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 8th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Any contest (...though who know that might change over time). I think we would want to see the map has basically the same footprint but the changes made to it addressed the concerns we had when we gave our reviews/feedback. If it’s really an entirely new map that doesn’t really resemble the original build, then I’d be a little concerned. But go ahead and post it before you submit it for review and we’ll let you know what we think.
Okay, well in that case I have two maps I'd like submit for workshopping (kinda)!

The first one is for the Forgotten Forest Road map I sent in for the Landmarks of Valhalla map contest. I know I've already submitted it once, but that was roughly 7 months ago and I never made it to the review stage. Basically all I changed were the start zones, which makes it so that 6 move flying heroes can't get to that glyph in the woods turn 1. Speaking of that glyph, I changed it from move +2 to initiative. I also put more height in the middle, as well as height to contest the roads.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sX...C5mFxkzsN5UWAo
[IMG][/IMG]

The next map I wanted to submit for workshopping is Swamp Fire from the Valhallan Wastelands contest. This revised version is somewhat of an overhaul, but I think it maintains a similar aesthetic to it. I made the map a bit thinner, as I thought the original was rather large and spread out. In changing the size of the map, I also had to change the start zone (It's now on a 24-hex piece instead of the first two lines of the map). I also tried to make it so that range couldn't have a field day against melee units, so I reduced the amount of lava/molten lava that's on level 1 of the map, made it so 5 move figures can get safely to height on turn 1, as well as put lava on some relative high points of the map. There are bushes near most of the lower level lava tiles, somewhat used as an incentive to pull units onto lava for defense bonuses.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yv...e2zO66cuOHbkSV
[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 13th, 2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Okay, well in that case I have two maps I'd like submit for workshopping (kinda)!

The first one is for the Forgotten Forest Road map I sent in for the Landmarks of Valhalla map contest. I know I've already submitted it once, but that was roughly 7 months ago and I never made it to the review stage. Basically all I changed were the start zones, which makes it so that 6 move flying heroes can't get to that glyph in the woods turn 1. Speaking of that glyph, I changed it from move +2 to initiative. I also put more height in the middle, as well as height to contest the roads.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sX...C5mFxkzsN5UWAo
[IMG][/IMG]

The next map I wanted to submit for workshopping is Swamp Fire from the Valhallan Wastelands contest. This revised version is somewhat of an overhaul, but I think it maintains a similar aesthetic to it. I made the map a bit thinner, as I thought the original was rather large and spread out. In changing the size of the map, I also had to change the start zone (It's now on a 24-hex piece instead of the first two lines of the map). I also tried to make it so that range couldn't have a field day against melee units, so I reduced the amount of lava/molten lava that's on level 1 of the map, made it so 5 move figures can get safely to height on turn 1, as well as put lava on some relative high points of the map. There are bushes near most of the lower level lava tiles, somewhat used as an incentive to pull units onto lava for defense bonuses.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yv...e2zO66cuOHbkSV
[IMG][/IMG]
I just realized that I might’ve made a mistake in the workshop process, as I forgot to submit the original maps first before I submitted the updated maps. I still don’t have Internet access at my house because of Hurricane Michael (using lte data on my phone) but once I do I can submit the old versions if need be.
Old October 13th, 2018, 11:57 AM

@JaesShurrig so sorry, totally spaced about replying here. I think your lava map is close enough to the original that we would consider it, and I like the changes to the road map. If you feel like these versions are strong enough that you would like to re-submit them as is for review, then that's fine...but if you'd like the other judges to chime in on what they think then maybe wait around a little bit. I think the redesign on both of these is looking pretty good.

@BiggaBullfrog @Nomad @Robber anything you have to add?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 13th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh shoot, sometimes I look at stuff between classes and make a mental note to come back to it but forget. Sorry, I do remember checking these out when they were first posted.

The road map looks better and I'm still pretty intrigued by it, but in my past experience, such narrow maps haven't performed super well due mainly to a lack of options for someone who is behind in the game, as well as turtle power. I think I'd be willing to test it, and it does look fun, but I'm admittedly wary of its tournament potential.

The new Swamp Fire looks pretty good. The middle hill seems pretty strong, especially with glyphs both exposed to that height and on lava. There's also some strong potential for some early ranged power plays with how open the map is with a smaller footprint, but the pathing seems fast enough that I'm less concerned about that.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:32 PM

@Sir Heroscape @BiggaBullfrog thanks for the replies! I think I want to submit Forgotten Forest Road for review, but I want to wait to hear what the other judges have to say about Swamp Fire

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla