Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:59 AM

kodarr has disabled reputation
Uses of the Obsidian Guardians?

anyone have any? The only plus side I can find is they aren't toast when they touch lava but their range sucks even on lava. With only 4 defense and 4 attack and a move of 4 they are constantly out manuevered in battle and just slain.

I drafted them one time for the scenario where you have to take 2 of the 3 sections in the manual. The one on the lava survived due to bad placement of my foe putting a kyrie up there that really couldn't do anything but get hit. The other 2 were on normal land and got killed outright before they even saw any action.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:52 AM

Will T is surprisingly tart
I've never seen them be useful. Except when one of my sons left them in the middle of a lava field during a battle-to-the-death game. They were his last figures standing, while everyone else was down to melee units. I don't remember how that game ended.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
They get very little use around here, unless you design a scenario or build a map that particularly favors them.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
They're kinda hard to use without the lava, and even then they're only so usefull. 4 and 4 is actually good for a common squad, but not one that costs 100 points with a 4 movement. They are some of the coolest looking figures though.
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
My 5 year old daughter drafted them today on her first game. It was a 300 point 4 player free for all. She ended up winning. They didn't have much to do with the victory, however. The fact that she frenzied and killed Braxas in her first turn with her Venoc Vipers didn't hurt much.

The Obsidian Guards aren't that great of a unit. If they were cheaper and/or didn't have the water weakness they would be a little more attractive. Maybe a bigger range on lava as well.

IMO the best use for them is as non player units. Develop some sort of rule set that governs how they act and who they attack, and they are a nice addition to lava maps.
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Uhh... they can hold glyphs in Lava fields well. Does that count?
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
Uhh... they can hold glyphs in Lava fields well. Does that count?
It sure counts if you have a map with glyphs in lava fields!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

though other units can hold glyphs in lava fields also long as its not in molten lava. just don't activate that unit again. But how often is a glyph in a lava field unless you are really pushing for someone to draft them for that glyph. And also is having that glyph worth 100pts?
and will they live long enough to make it to the lava. I've found they die extremely fast when not protected by a barrier of lava where no other units want to go.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodarr
though other units can hold glyphs in lava fields also long as its not in molten lava. just don't activate that unit again.
Activating units again has nothing to do with triggering the roll for lava field damage.

You roll for lava field damage for every unit standing on lava field at the end of the round. (Unless they are immune like OGs and Brunak)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
out of my 1 year of heroscape playing i've never seen anyone use them so that gos to show how worthless they are!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:41 AM

ah well still what glyph is worth spending 100pts and not garenteeing that you get it's power. If they had a 5 move or a longer range when in lava I feel they'd be worth it but I really see no worth in them as is.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:50 AM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
Dont really get much of a look in with our games... the figures do look nice though! If we are using a lava-heavy map, then they obviously do prove to be very useful, but otherwise, they are too darn slow to be able to face up to most units available out there. A shame... Now, if they had a decent hero to bond with, that could be a completely different matter....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles