Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker
Orange Scape featuring GenCon 2014

The Road to Victory

Back in 2011 I had absolutely no idea what to play in the main event. This was my army build:

Sergeant Alexander Drake (ROTV)
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Theracus
Roman Legionnaires x 2
10th Regiment of Foot x 2

I had thought the combination of Marcus Decimus Gallus with the 10th had some potential because he acts like Taelord somewhat for soldiers. I didn’t do very well but in thinking about what I would run for this year’s championship (2013) I realized that I needed Raelin if was going to do a pod army well. I usually stay away from pod armies agreeing with the fellow “I’m just not that in to Raelin”. So anyway, here is my battle report for this year’s championship.

My army:

Sergeant Drake Alexander (ROTV)
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Raelin (ROTV)
10th Regiment of Foot x 2

My notes will usually include something about how Drake did because I wondered if he was worth putting in the army. I noticed Vegie (not a clown) ran something very similar in Heat of the Battle this year opting for another squad of 10th and fillers rather than Drake. It seems like you need a heavy hitter in each army, but maybe that’s not always the case.

Championship Day 1

Game 1 ~ Win

Facing Necroblade on Stygian Rift (even though I didn’t realize who he was at the time)

Raelin (ROTV)
Su-Bak-Na
Marro Dividers x 4

This was a very close game. The dividers took the Move+2 glyph and the Lucky20. They quickly moved into my pod which worked good for me. His Cell Divide power worked some with Su-Bak-Na and the glyph making a difference on a couple of rolls. Overall, the firepower of the 10th with support from Marcus and Raelin wore the majority of his army out. As Su-Bak-Na moved in, Drake moved up to try to take him out but failed. Drake acted as a target for Su-Bak-Na and he fell without taking down a single figure. The 10th finished SBN off though.

Game 2 ~ Win

Facing Megasilver on Quasatch Playground

Venoc Vipers x4
Major Q10
Venoc Warlord

Megasilver had a very good strategy. Because of how fast the Venoc Vipers are, he would position them exactly 9 spaces out moving only 2 up at a time and hope for Frenzy. This way he was getting sometimes 4 or 6 attacks, but I was only able to get in 2 because of my pod structure. There is a picture posted by Retlaw that perfectly demonstrates the strategy he was using. I made a mistake at the beginning moving 2 of my 10th outside of Raelin’s aura. He exploited this making them the first 2 to fall. We traded Vipers for 10th and after all his Vipers were gone I had only 2 10th left. He moved Q10 out to try to clean up taking out 1 of my 10th. I had a turn marker on the 10th and got one Wait Then Fire, height advantage, and Marcus bonus (I think) shot at Q10 who was adjacent to a bush. I rolled 4 skulls and Q10 rolled 0 shields. With a full strength Drake it wasn’t difficult to take out the Venoc Warlord. A lucky roll hastened the end of the battle, but it would have been interesting if Q10 had survived that.

Game 3 ~ Win

Facing a very nice guy who is apparently Greygnarl's dad on Stygian Rift.

Krug
Raelin (ROTV)
Sonya Esenwein
Swog Rider x 3
Arrow Gruts x 2

This was a very close battle winning on points. The moderator came and called it on time. The 10th did very well. He moved into my pod for the most part using Swogs for bonuses and sometimes moving outside of his Raelin aura. After the first Swog Rider fell he moved to using Krug. I worked him down as he approached and used Drake as a stopper so he couldn’t get to my 10th with multiple attacks. Drake fell but the 10th took down Krug. In the end I had only 2 of my 10th left, Marcus having 4 wound markers on him, and Raelin at full health. He had only 3 Arrow Gruts, 2 Swog Riders, Raelin, and Sonja Essenwein. 255 points to his 215. It would have been interesting to play it out since Marcus wouldn’t have been overly effective if he took out my 2 remaining 10th. Sonya wouldn’t have had hardly any figures to destroy though.

Game 4 ~ Loss

Facing Weesel99 on Embattled Fen

Major Q9
Me-Burq-Sa
Axegrinders of Burning Forge x 3

I did okay at the beginning in setting up the pod and taking out Me-Burq-Sa. But I had no answer for how he was using Q9 as a sniper from exactly 8 spaces out. I should have sent Drake out on a suicide mission or worked him around to the other side of the board creating somewhat of a triangle effect. I, however, chose to let Drake sit in the swamp so Q9 could move up just two spaces and start Queglix. I moved 10th over to the other side of the board and took out all of his dwarves but Q9 ended without a scratch.

Game 5 ~ Loss

Facing Pickle 4192 on Shiver

Braxas
Marro Stingers x 3
Marro Warriors

Set up the pod well at the beginning. Stingers moved in and were a threat at first. Throughout the game he rolled for Stinger Drain every time getting it most times toward the beginning and a dead stop toward the end well after he had the advantage. My attack rolling was not the greatest. He moved up Braxas into the pod and in 2 turns rolled successful on every single Poison Acid Breath roll. 6 of my 10th were gone as my fire power struggled to take down Braxas. Bayonet Attack helped to take down Braxas but I had lost too many 10th to compete. Drake was largely ineffective in the end game. My only hope was to take out Stingers one by one as they were scattered around the board. Drake failed 3 consecutive times to take out one Stinger with height advantage. Opponent finished with probably 4-5 Stingers and all of his Marro Warriors (this will be important later).

So I got into Day 2 to based on my Strength of Schedule which I really don’t understand. It’s probably because I won my first 3 and lost my last 2 as opposed to someone else who lost their first 2 and won their last 3. Not a stellar start but it got me in.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman

Last edited by The Orange Mailman; August 25th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:02 PM

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker
Re: Gen Con 2013

Championship Day 2

The army listed is my army because it is Reverse the Whip.

Game 1 ~ Win

Facing Unseen Shadowz on Quasatch Playground

Mogrimm Forgehammer
Krav Maga Agents
Axegrinders of Burning Forge x 3

This was a good game, but I feel he overextended the 10th in the beginning, although I'm not sure what else he could do. I was using the range of 7 on the Krav to pick off the 10th since the pod formation wouldn’t allow him to respond with Wait Then Fire. His response was to send out 3 of the 10th deep into Dwarf territory. I lost one Krav but then switched to turn markers on Dwarves. I claimed a Move+2 glyph which allowed a movement of 8 if I bypassed a turn on Dwarven Strategic Bonding. I took down the 10th that he had sent out then I spent a couple of turns setting up Dwarves just outside of the range of the pod. He sent out Drake to counter Mogrimm who was approaching. Drake went down quick. Dwarves closed in from too many sides at once for 10th to be effective. I had Dwarves next to Raelin (who he set up exactly 4 spaces behind the lead 10th), next to the remaining 10th, and next to Marcus so there were too many threats for him to deal with at once.

Game 2 ~ Win

Facing Pickle 4192 on Burial Marsh

This was an exciting game. He did not use Marcus at all for the pod but left him back in the water. He moved up Raelin and the 10th outranged the Stingers at first. I responded somewhat with Stingers (Stinger Drain was successful toward the beginning) and had moved up Braxas and he responded with only 2 of the 10th being within the range of 4 (Poison Acid Breath) and engaged her with Drake. In order to get the maximum from Poison Acid Breath, I broke engagement but didn’t take a wound. I felt that Raelin was a better target because if she fell, the pod was finished. Poison Acid Breath worked on Raelin and 1 other 10th. I got 2 more turns with Braxas both times taking an unsuccessful shot at Drake and 2 of the 10th, 1 being a hit and the other failing each time. So that’s only 3 of the 10th that fell to Poison Acid Breath but also taking down Raelin. Because Stingers had worked down the 10th as well, he now had 1 lone 10th, Marcus at full health, and Drake at full health. I had a full set of Marro Warriors still in the start zone and about 5 Stingers. He moved up Marcus and with Stingers I took out the remaining 10th and Marcus in the middle of the board. Then I began moving Stingers up toward the side of the board where I would have height advantage once we engaged. He began putting turn markers on Drake and I responded by moving Marro Warriors out of the start zone. I engaged Drake with all of the Marro Warriors inflicting probably 3 wounds on Drake before he took them down one by one. Since I had 2 squads of Stingers up on the side and he only had Drake, I was ahead by 10 points, meaning he has to come to me, which he did. I was not rolling for Stinger Drain on the move-only turns and even on a couple of the attack turns toward the end. I forget who got the first strike in, but eventually multiple attacks worked Drake down, but not before he took out 3 Stingers. So I won with 2 Stingers. Take a look back at how many figures he had left when we faced each other the day before with opposite armies.

This put me in to the semi-finals.

The Orange Mailman
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:08 PM

Game 3, Semi-finals ~ Win

Facing Dok on Shiver

Fen Hydra x 1
Raelin (ROTV)
Marcu Esenwein
Black Wyrmling x 3
Red Wyrmling x 3
Deathreavers x 1

I really struggled with strategy on this game. I felt like I was way out of my league. But there was just enough genius in Dok’s build to overcome my own army. If you don’t know the map, you should check it out because the battle was intense. I wasn’t sure which way Dok would go with the pod, so I split up Wyrmlings in my start zone. Dok played the pod flawlessly in my opinion moving Marcus up and 10th up to height. I moved Raelin up on my right side, and then started bringing Wyrmlings up just far enough to be able to reach the 10th but stay within Raelin’s aura. The Black Wyrmling’s Fledgling Acid Breath allowed me to bypass the defense of Raelin’s aura. Then Red Wyrmlings allowed me to negate the defense of her aura. At one point, Dok used Wait Then Fire on 1 Black Wyrmling rolling something like 3-3-3-2. My defense was something like 3-3-3-5. I could tell he was quite frustrated at that point because he knew the Black Wyrmlings were killing him.

Eventually, he took out all but 2 Red Wyrmlings and I had taken out all (or all except 1) of the 10th. He moved turn markers to Marcus, Raelin, and Drake. I moved turn markers to Deathreavers, Raelin, and Hydra. I spent quite a few turns positioning the Deathreavers because Dok was not attacking them except one time with Drake. Drake at one point moved down to scoop up a Treasure Glyph which turned out to be the Heroic Rune which was perfect for him. Moving Deathreavers was turn intensive for me but extremely helpful to maintain board position. Attacking with them didn’t do much damage, maybe a little. Marcus moved down to the road and the Deathreavers created a screen. My 2 remaining Red Wyrmlings moved up to height advantage and attacked normally. I moved the 1st up, attacked, then he defended. I forgot to move the 2nd one up, but rolled my attack dice getting 4 skulls thinking I was ready to attack. He and others pointed out to me that I hadn’t moved the Wyrmling up yet. I moved the Red Wyrmling up and asked Dok if he wanted me to re-roll the dice. I specifically said that it would be no problem for me to re-roll. He thought and then said that, yeah, he did want me to re-roll. So I re-rolled and…. 4 skulls. The Hydra moved up 1 space away from Marcus on the road on the middle of the board with Deathreavers separating them, and the Hydra finished off Marcus with Reach. I believe Marcus had taken out my Raelin and somewhere he had taken out those last 2 Red Wyrmlings so I think at this point it was my Hydra, 3 Deathreavers, and Marcu back in my start zone. He had a full health Raelin and Drake with 3 wounds on him. 2 of those were from disengagements and 1 hit from something else.

At this point, it turned into something of a dance-off between the Hydra and Drake. He pulled Drake back up into Raelin’s aura. He needed the first strike on the Hydra to knock off at least a couple of heads and hope to survive the remaining lesser number of attacks, if not killing the Hydra straight out. I needed the first strike hoping to take out the potential of a 7 or 8 attack. We positioned ourselves around the 3 hex glacier with him in the back but still within Raelin’s aura. I was on the road on the opposite side of the glacier. We danced around hoping for initiative with me having a movement advantage because he had to take a step up to get to me but I didn’t have to do that to get to him. Plus I still had the Deathreaver screen in there working to my advantage. I remember counting points and he was 10 points ahead of me. So I’m pretty sure he had 190 and I had 180. We ended the round on exact opposite sides of the glacier. At the beginning of the next round, I could get to him if I won initiative, but he couldn’t get to me on the 1st turn. I won initiative and moved the Hydra around. I attacked the first 2 times but he blocked rolling 5 defense being in Raelin’s aura. The third attack took Drake down and Dok resigned with a full health Raelin, but he had placed all of his order markers on Drake, so that made sense. It was an intense battle and I look forward to reading Dok’s version of it.

The Orange Mailman
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Yeah, our game was interesting. Of course I always hope for Frenzies, but I don't expect them. (Well, maybe at least a few over a course of a few rounds.) But I play like I don't expect any.

Drake did have one wound on him from a dual height assault of Vipers, though. If not for an initi switch they could have finished him off. I think that was my big mistake that game to send it two Vipers to take him on. Another round of near squad of Vipers, and my Q10 actually living, would have changed things.
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:10 PM

Game 4, The Finale ~ Win

Facing Matthias Maccabeus on Dry Season

Estivara
Wyvern x 2
Fyorlag Spiders x 4

After winning against Dok, I started laughing like a maniac. My apologies go out to anyone who felt like they were in the presence of a lunatic. Matthias came up to me and said he had a Dragon Dice tournament at 2:00p.m. and if we started our game right then, he would miss that. He asked if we could reschedule for 8:00p.m. immediately following General Wars. I said that I had to take a minute to process what had just happened. After thinking about it, I realized that my two friends that I had come to GenCon with had events that lasted until 10p.m., so I would be sitting around from 8-10 with nothing to do. After I told Matthias that would be fine, he thanked me graciously. Raider30 chimed in that it would be a neat thing because many people would want to gather around to witness the final match up. Perhaps this could become a tradition because I think it worked out great.

Matthias had set up in the corner which I will say was on my right. He had Raelin exactly 5 spaces from the edge so that every single figure would be covered by her aura. Marcus was on the back space probably one space in from the right so 4 of the 10th were available at any one point for Wait Then Fire and a Marcus Bonus. I knew what I wanted to do to beat my own army, but I had a real hard time setting up for it. So I’m going to outline my mistakes as they happened.

Mistake #1- Claiming the Move+2 glyph too early. The Move+2 glyph was on the right side exactly 6 spaces from the lead 10th. While I was able to begin moving the two remaining spiders up quick, it was easy pickings for Matthias to knock off that spider. I should have waited for the end of a round after I had completely moved into position hoping for an initiative switch. This way, I would have 9 movement with a Wyvern and better chances of using Talon Grab to ruin the pod.

Mistake #2- Moving a Wyvern behind the ruin without having a clear plan to execute the Talon Grab. I moved the Wyvern up just behind the ruin and at first it was out of sight. But all Matthias had to do was swing 2 of the 10th out slightly so they had line of sight on the wing tip and start taking shots. On the next turn he had Wait Then Fire to boost those 2 attacks. The wing shots put 3 wounds on the Wyvern forcing me to use the Healing Glyph at that point instead of saving it for later.

Eventually I figured out a rough plan in my head as how to use Talon Grab to pull Raelin out of the pod, but it involved a gutsy move. I had positioned all of my spiders just out of his reach and Estivara was waiting to climb up where she would be able to boost the spiders as I walked straight into the pod. I moved a Wyvern up just out of range making sure to count spaces to that Raelin could be grabbed and have a place to land with her. My next turn I moved Estivara up to height within the range of the 10th (I think at this point is when I attacked Drake with Venom Ray inflicting 3 wounds) and almost forgot to roll for Cloud of Darkness. Matthias had all of his turn markers placed on the 10th and was just waiting for me to come to him. I said, oh yeah, Cloud of Darkness, and threw the 20 up in the air. When it came down a natural 20, I knew that the plan was going to work. So now Estivara was up in position to boost the spiders when they came in on the next turn, but she wouldn’t be a target then because spiders and the Wyvern would be dismantling the pod. On my next turn, I moved the Wyvern up grabbing Raelin pulling her back. Then I said, and I am rolling 4 skulls. The dice came up 4 skulls. Venomous Sting put 4 wounds on Raelin. Spiders moved up and finished her off. Someone commented that was not a good thing. Matthias said that was okay because she was going away anyway. That made me think of how he set up. He knew that I would try to Talon Grab to take apart the pod. He had set up Raelin in the more vulnerable position rather than Marcus. So he would rather lose the defense +2 bonus for his whole army than lose an attack +1 bonus for his soldiers. That’s interesting.

The following battle was basically trading spiders for soldiers with me having more numbers at first but Matthias having more attacks per turn. Some of my spiders took two turns to get into the pod. My first Wyvern went down quick. The second moved into the pod Talon Grabbing a soldier away from Marcus so he would have less bonus on his next turn. I rolled 3 times for Web Entanglement never once getting a successful roll. All of his turn markers were on the 10th and I wondered about this and then realized he was doing that to make it more difficult to guess which order marker to remove in case Web Entanglement had worked. An X fake out could backfire. Eventually all of this wore down to me with Estivara and Matthias with Marcus, 1 of the 10th, and Drake with 3 wounds because at some point I had attacked him with Venom Ray Special Attack and he rolled 0 shields me with nothing on the D20.

Mistake #3- Not rolling for Cloud of Darkness at the end of the round. I believe the way the power works would apply even after the round is over until you reveal an order marker to take a turn. He took a shot with the remaining 10th using Wait Then Fire putting 2 wounds on Estivara. All of my order markers were on Estivara while his were now on Marcus. He moved Marcus up as I used Venom Ray to attack as he advanced. The final 10th was killed and Marcus came up all the while I was putting one or two wounds on him at a time. Only after Marcus had inflicted one more wound on Estivara (meaning she is now one hit point from dying) and had 5 wound markers on him did I roll successfully on the D20 for an additional hit which killed him. Initiative fell to me and another shot at Drake with Venom Ray killed him. So I finished with Estivara with only 1 life left on her.

This was such a crazy battle. It took forever for the actual battle to be set up and take place. But once it did, it was very exciting and quite engaging. I’m glad I faced Matthias for the final. He was so laid back it took the edge off the battle. However, he had gone 5-0 with the spiders, is a very well rounded Heroscape player, and I’m just the new kid in town. What a thriller though.

The Orange Mailman
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:11 PM

I want to say at the close here that I think it’s awesome that hardly anyone won two different tournaments. There is such a well rounded group of Heroscape players. All of us have different strengths and weaknesses, just like any army build. But what a fun time I had. It was an absolute blast to be able to even play against you all. And even more so, to compete and then win the championship. I made a lot of mistakes as I noted. I also am definitely not as good of a player in many respects as quite a few. However, I did win the championship so I feel like I should at least be allowed to play with the big boys now. One thing is certain though. Next year’s championship is wide open if I can come in and win.

The Orange Mailman
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:13 PM

Megasilver- did you see that pic?

The Orange Mailman
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mailman View Post
Megasilver- did you see that pic?
Yep. I'm in the Pacific Breach T-Shirt and The Orange Mailman is well, orange.

Last edited by MegaSilver; August 20th, 2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you play Vipers correctly!
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:46 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In Game 3 of Day 1 you played my dad, not Orcs.

Reading your battle reports is interesting, I saw you thinking a lot during the actual games, and it's cool to see what you were thinking.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mailman View Post
I noticed Filthy the Clown ran something very similar in Heat of the Battle this year opting for another squad of 10th and fillers rather than Drake.
Me? Use 10th? Pfft. Besides, I did not play in HoB, so you might have me confused with another clown.

Great reports, BTW!
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

My dad and I both played that army in Heat of the Battle, so it was probably one of us you are confusing Filthy with.

Fantastic reports. Congrats on a very well-earned win. I only got to watch bits of one your games (the championship) but you made the best moves so many times. That was a very tough matchup to win.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
In Game 3 of Day 1 you played my dad, not Orcs.

Reading your battle reports is interesting, I saw you thinking a lot during the actual games, and it's cool to see what you were thinking.
Thanks, I'll get that fixed. I think I played Orc's dad in General Wars. And then I met Dad Scaper over the weekend too.

The Orange Mailman

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports