Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old September 17th, 2021, 12:34 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I like the idea of exploring more Greek myths, albeit Shan'te doesn't immediately make me think of the underlying myth like some of the other examples. The name doesn't sound very Greek to me; is it based off of something in particular?

In addition to availability, it's important for the figure to be at a reasonable price. I've seen many rares go for $10-$20 or more, unfortunately, which isn't ideal for a medium figure like this.

Having played with the Quorik Warwitch quite a bit, Flutter with Stealth Flying and 4L/3D at 60 points gives me a slight pause. The Warwitch is largely kept in check by being particularly vulnerable to range and weak once tied down, along with her higher cost. I don't think that it's necessarily an issue, given that Shan'te mostly looks like she'd run around and bother things right now, but potential frustrating elements are always worth noting.

More generally, she looks like she fulfills a generic standalone "fantasy" hero role that typically faces a lot of opposition internally. Pesk is interesting, but with Stealth Flying, she'll usually get the bonus, so it doesn't stand out as a very interesting tactical decision. Honing in on what makes her play unique on the battlefield would help get a better sense for the unit, I think--the idea of a shark harpy flying around and picking off isolated figures is cool, but right now the design feels more like a generic bird, as Scytale aptly put it.
Old September 17th, 2021, 02:12 PM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Judges & scapers, what would your first impression be of a low-point, 2-(potentially 4) man squad of dwarves with minuscule right box stats? Their intended purpose would be to be Mok's gunners/mechanics. It's a hard pill to swallow using 255 points just to give Mok his ranged attack, which in turn I feel sways people from playing him. Example- a 2-man squad that is 10-20 points.

P.S. Please don't grill me on the miniatures or anything as this is just a theory. I'm simply asking to gauge interest/feasibility
Old September 17th, 2021, 04:11 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I like the idea of exploring more Greek myths, albeit Shan'te doesn't immediately make me think of the underlying myth like some of the other examples. The name doesn't sound very Greek to me; is it based off of something in particular?

In addition to availability, it's important for the figure to be at a reasonable price. I've seen many rares go for $10-$20 or more, unfortunately, which isn't ideal for a medium figure like this.

Having played with the Quorik Warwitch quite a bit, Flutter with Stealth Flying and 4L/3D at 60 points gives me a slight pause. The Warwitch is largely kept in check by being particularly vulnerable to range and weak once tied down, along with her higher cost. I don't think that it's necessarily an issue, given that Shan'te mostly looks like she'd run around and bother things right now, but potential frustrating elements are always worth noting.

More generally, she looks like she fulfills a generic standalone "fantasy" hero role that typically faces a lot of opposition internally. Pesk is interesting, but with Stealth Flying, she'll usually get the bonus, so it doesn't stand out as a very interesting tactical decision. Honing in on what makes her play unique on the battlefield would help get a better sense for the unit, I think--the idea of a shark harpy flying around and picking off isolated figures is cool, but right now the design feels more like a generic bird, as Scytale aptly put it.
Thank you for your feedback. Always appreciated.
The name could use a rework as it is the first given. Variations of this name seem to have diverse origins. French, Hindi.

The figure sells average at about 10$ shipping included. I'm less informed as seeing an issue in this since most Unique C3V heroes I've had to buy are well over 10$. Keep in mind the devaluing of the dollar. The 'at a single moment' availability seems more of an issue to me.

Makes sense that this combination brings frustrating elements as I've witnessed during playtest, but not quite experienced since I am my own opponent. I do enjoy the combination of flutter with Pesk allowing her those possible 2 spaces of repositioning, making much of her use in tieing up figures or reducing defenses. I think Pesk is a strong theme for the harpy here. Seeing it as more of a generic bird theme is personal perception in my opinion and I think Pesk is more intense than 'flutter around and distract'. Would drop Stealth flying to regular flying to keep this mechanic.

Otherwise the idea of her as a target picker fits. Perhaps keeping stealth/flying would allow her to keep some of her bird like aspect, removing flutter which possibly pushes her a bit too far into that bird likeness direction. Could go both directions.

One nameable characteristic of Harpies, of which their name is related is "Snatchers" or "Swift Robbers" ("In some case snatching people"). I played with the idea of a Talon Grab/Abduct ability in my head, but the model is too small to pull off a medium figure grab.
Old September 20th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreThaGiant View Post
Judges & scapers, what would your first impression be of a low-point, 2-(potentially 4) man squad of dwarves with minuscule right box stats? Their intended purpose would be to be Mok's gunners/mechanics. It's a hard pill to swallow using 255 points just to give Mok his ranged attack, which in turn I feel sways people from playing him. Example- a 2-man squad that is 10-20 points.

P.S. Please don't grill me on the miniatures or anything as this is just a theory. I'm simply asking to gauge interest/feasibility
There is a place in the game for units that are designed specifically for other units, but it has to exist that way. If they had a power that allowed them to start on Mok's card, then that's what the unit is. Otherwise (and perhaps even then), the unit needs to be able to stand on its own.

I have no idea how the Inner Sanctum would react to a card like that. I don't even know how I feel about it, as it feels like a "must buy" if you take Mok.
Old September 20th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale
I have no idea how the Inner Sanctum would react to a card like that. I don't even know how I feel about it, as it feels like a "must buy" if you take Mok.
Or a "Mok doesn't have to include Dwarf army anymore" patch. Unless said cheap Squad was Unique, as that might give some incentive to bring the usual Dwarves simply for the sake of replacing killed gunners.

I'm not that up-to-date competitively, but is Mok considered bad? He certainly feels better than similar units like Jotun and Bramcephys to me.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old September 20th, 2021, 09:12 PM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker

Hello,
I was hoping to get some people's opinions on a unit idea I am working on. The thing I am toying with is a knight on a horse that, once killed, dismounts the horse and continues fighting on foot. How I was thinking of going about this would be similar to iskra and the wretchets, two seperate cards, where the dismounted unit can only be placed via the power of the mounted unit. I was thinking the knight on the horse could have higher defense, around 5, with low lives, E.G. 3. Then the dismounted unit would have reduced move and defense, with some different powers. What do people think? is it to weird or awkward? Are there any glaring problems you see with this idea? Please just let me know your honest thoughts! I really like the miniature, his name is Thurbard from confrontaion age of rag'narok. From the box set temple of the north hero set. I was trying to post a picture, but I am having a hard time figuring it out! Thank you for your time and feedback!
Old September 21st, 2021, 03:40 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfLight View Post
Hello,
I was hoping to get some people's opinions on a unit idea I am working on. The thing I am toying with is a knight on a horse that, once killed, dismounts the horse and continues fighting on foot. How I was thinking of going about this would be similar to iskra and the wretchets, two seperate cards, where the dismounted unit can only be placed via the power of the mounted unit. I was thinking the knight on the horse could have higher defense, around 5, with low lives, E.G. 3. Then the dismounted unit would have reduced move and defense, with some different powers. What do people think? is it to weird or awkward? Are there any glaring problems you see with this idea? Please just let me know your honest thoughts! I really like the miniature, his name is Thurbard from confrontaion age of rag'narok. From the box set temple of the north hero set. I was trying to post a picture, but I am having a hard time figuring it out! Thank you for your time and feedback!
Hello again KoL,
Nice to see you posting in the custom creation quadrant. I like the idea of a dismounting knight. There is 1 custom I know of, a Dwarf Cavalry hero that when killed leaves behind an axegrinder.Perhaps you can you use it as an ability reference. I enjoy your idea of the 2 separate heroes more and these kinds of symbiotic paired figures are underused in heroscape. Those Confrontation models look very cool for the knight. If this is intended for SoV however, these models would not work simply because of availability. If you want to stick with these models, there's nothing wrong with having them as a part of your own customs thread. Otherwise you'd need to find different minis for this idea that are well available. With a custom I made recently, the model I liked was too rare for others to use, so I found another suitable figure. So now I have 1 version of the card that is the rare figure in photo, and one with the more available figure.

There's not much else I can go off of without seeing fleshed out card schematics. Feel free to Pm me if you need any help on starting your own customs thread.
Old September 21st, 2021, 10:05 AM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker

Hello again KoL,
Nice to see you posting in the custom creation quadrant. I like the idea of a dismounting knight. There is 1 custom I know of, a Dwarf Cavalry hero that when killed leaves behind an axegrinder.Perhaps you can you use it as an ability reference. I enjoy your idea of the 2 separate heroes more and these kinds of symbiotic paired figures are underused in heroscape. Those Confrontation models look very cool for the knight. If this is intended for SoV however, these models would not work simply because of availability. If you want to stick with these models, there's nothing wrong with having them as a part of your own customs thread. Otherwise you'd need to find different minis for this idea that are well available. With a custom I made recently, the model I liked was too rare for others to use, so I found another suitable figure. So now I have 1 version of the card that is the rare figure in photo, and one with the more available figure.

There's not much else I can go off of without seeing fleshed out card schematics. Feel free to Pm me if you need any help on starting your own customs thread.[/QUOTE]

Hello! Very interesting! Thank you for your feedback, I must admit I was worried the figures availability would affect its chances in the SoV. So it’s good to know that that is an issue, I will definitely look around for what I can find! The only issue now is to find suitable, readily available figures! The main reason I was thinking about the dismounting unit was because the mounted and dismounted hero were clearly the same person. They have the same helmet, sword, and cape. My original intention was to create two separate characters because I absolutely love the miniatures, but all of my powers stemmed from parts of the miniatures. I kept asking myself, well why doesn’t that other unit have this power, they clearly have the same sword. Which was giving me a hard time, so I came up with this dismounting unit idea, that way things would feel more connected. I do want to submit this idea to the SoV. So I guess it will all depend on wether or not I can find a suitable replacement. That dwarf is very helpful with the wording! Thank you! Another issue I realized as I was writing the card down was that I would need to change one of the cards names, as cards that have the same name, but not the same card have a ruling, the uniques in a single army, like hrognak, sgt drake, etc. that could make this even more difficult! Probably for the best that I choose a different miniature. Thank you!
Old September 21st, 2021, 10:32 AM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

@KnightOfLight , please do not use this thread to workshop ideas. This thread is intended for units that have gone through the design and testing steps and the owner is looking for refinement for a possible SoV submission. I encourage you to create your own customs thread for questions like these.
Old September 21st, 2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
@KnightOfLight , please do not use this thread to workshop ideas. This thread is intended for units that have gone through the design and testing steps and the owner is looking for refinement for a possible SoV submission. I encourage you to create your own customs thread for questions like these.
Ah sorry! Will do!
Old October 4th, 2021, 11:59 AM

AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness AndreThaGiant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry to pollute this thread with another un-playtested unit, I just don't get the same amount of traffic & feedback in my customs thread. I'm exploring the potential for an OM hub for the Drow, and this is where I'm at so far:

Mini used: Monster Menagerie 2 #06 Drow Elite Warrior
(Solid availability among all the primary miniature sites.)
The mini bears a striking resemblance to the D&D character I'm basing this off of- Ilvara Mizzrym

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ilvara_Mizzrym

HONOR IN DEATH
The reason I went with this name is because Drow that die are typically sacrificed to their god (in this case, Lolth), which is a great honor in their culture.

LOLTH'S BLESSING
According to the lore I've been researching, the bodies of the Drow are usually wrapped in silk and delivered to Lolth to be eaten. In exchange for that, the theme I'm going for is that Lolth blesses Ilvara with power (bonding). This ability gives some return on investment and incentive for a player to actually want to use Pelloth's SA. I restructured Master Lao Xin's SIFU, as it would make more sense for the squad to move first so that Pelloth can set up his SA, and at the very least get an attack off with a squaddie before they are sacrificed. This reverse bonding is conditional, so hopefully this is feasible.

SHADOW AURA
I know we shouldn't be using new names for the same abilities, but it felt weird going with SHADOW OOZE (ability is based off of Re-Tak-Shi's SWAMP OOZE). This ability was given to add some more options for the map dependent D&D figures that need shadow tiles for half of their powers. More specifically, the Drow and Othkurik. Obviously, this ability could be abused on height, so I might have to at least drop her defense to 2 as she would benefit from the shadow as well. That would unfortunately break away from the stat reflections of the other Utgar Drow heroes, but I digress.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback, I'm really excited about this design so far.
Old October 4th, 2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreThaGiant View Post
Sorry to pollute this thread with another un-playtested unit, I just don't get the same amount of traffic & feedback in my customs thread.
Of course you don't get as much feedback in your customs thread; no one does. Your thread is where you should post to get initial feedback on the concept and wording. This thread is meant for units that have gone through the initial reworkings, have been through playtests, and are close to being ready for SoV submission. It takes time and energy to review a unit, which we would spend in other people's customs threads if we had the time or energy to do so. Please limit your use of this thread to its intended purpose.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards