Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old March 8th, 2019, 02:38 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Putting Words In Your Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
1. To say that the time to use BoV maps has passed is ridiculous. We use them because they are good. Something like Highways and Dieways has been used a ton because it’s superbly balanced and well designed, not because of nostalgia.
So we can look forward to Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh and Ember Canyon Road at Gencon? :P

That said, I can think of plenty of maps that I love and think are great that are terrible for Gencon maps (Failed Negotiations and Can't See the Jungle were the first two that came to mind).

Personally I liked a lot of the maps last year although Burial Marsh was annoying for double hexers (I was just fortunate to play against my templar on those maps). I'd be pretty happy with a list similar to last year.

~Dysole, admittedly without a dog in the fight and mostly wanting to chime in so she could razz OEAO
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2019

Quote:
2. ARV maps may be considered. HOWEVER, we will not use a map that we have not thoroughly tested ourselves.
I’m glad this is your processs, but it does put a lot of onus on you (and others) to branch out and test those maps just as much as we already do/did then...(which seems counter-intuitive but okay), rather than just sticking with what you already know. So then I’d ask, how familiar are you with ARV maps? Have you played them much?

Quote:
However, just because they are approved by a group does not mean they are right for the GenCon map pool.
Agreed, some TD’s will always draw a line and have an opinion on each map and that’s okay.

Overall I’m not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to challenge the status quo (kinda like how we still haven’t had a C3V/SoV event...whaaaaa?! But we did C3G?)

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Really, now you are going to take a swing at C3G?
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:03 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

One important factor in choosing a GenCon map is that the map be balanced -- no particular type of army (range, melee, etc.) or figure (flying, double hexed, etc.) be helped or hurt by the map. I think the map pool last year met that goal.

With that in mind, as well as the terrain limitations noted in this thread, can those of you familiar with the ARV map pool suggest a few (maybe half a dozen) ARV maps that you believe meet this objective? There are too many ARV maps for those involved with GenCon map selection to properly play test prior to the map selection deadline.
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

So if I’m hearing you correctly Sir Heroscape, you essentially want us to pick a map from the ARV because you feel they are good maps and you are tired of the old maps at Gen Con, even if they are good as a general rule?

I just looked over there and as Lonewolf mentioned earlier you only seem to have 3 1MS + 1 Exp maps, which is really the bottom line at Gen Con. But we will certainly keep those 3 in mind.

Customs, for the 42nd time, are more than welcome to be played at one of the open play events and we even encourage you to run an event at that time frame if you wish.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:04 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Really, now you are going to take a swing at C3G?
Apologies, no. Just surprised C3G gets an official event but not SoV/C3V

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
So if I’m hearing you correctly Sir Heroscape, you essentially want us to pick a map from the ARV because you feel they are good maps and you are tired of the old maps at Gen Con, even if they are good as a general rule?
Heavens no. There are plenty of good BoV and other maps, im just trying to make a case that ARV maps should be given a fair chance, and for you guys, that may mean replaytestung them to make sure they fit your bill.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; March 8th, 2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have always thought there where plenty of different maps, and have always been happy with them. I want to thank whoever is in charge of all the map picking, you guys rock!

The only problem I have ever seen is you randomly keep getting the same couple of maps - but if you say I have played this already you can change maps usually ( unless your against a top tier player who wants to win more then just play and will say no I want this board - cause they feel it is to their advantage - but those guys are far and few between know that it is not a living game with lots of prizes.

Speaking of prizes, I promise my game selection will be better then last year! I have no where to store stuff in Ohio anymore and thought of selling off a lot of it, then thought just give it away as prizes for HS - cause any prize is better then no prize in my mind.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
2. ARV maps may be considered. HOWEVER, we will not use a map that we have not thoroughly tested ourselves.
I’m glad this is your processs, but it does put a lot of onus on you (and others) to branch out and test those maps just as much as we already do/did then...(which seems counter-intuitive but okay), rather than just sticking with what you already know. So then I’d ask, how familiar are you with ARV maps? Have you played them much?

Quote:
However, just because they are approved by a group does not mean they are right for the GenCon map pool.
Agreed, some TD’s will always draw a line and have an opinion on each map and that’s okay.

Overall I’m not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to challenge the status quo (kinda like how we still haven’t had a C3V/SoV event...whaaaaa?! But we did C3G?)
Some of the people who are part of the map selection team have some experience on a few of the ARV maps.

In case it wasn't clear, we do want to support modern map makers, and are actively looking for new options. However, there is no guarantee that anything specifically from the ARV is selected.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Some of the people who are part of the map selection team have some experience on a few of the ARV maps.

In case it wasn't clear, we do want to support modern map makers, and are actively looking for new options. However, there is no guarantee that anything specifically from the ARV is selected.
good to hear. We wouldn’t want a free pass either haha, then it’d be too easy.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Customs, for the 42nd time, are more than welcome to be played at one of the open play events and we even encourage you to run an event at that time frame if you wish.
I know that VC is allowed in the Open Play events, but I think that a bigger C3V/SoV-inclusive event could also be pretty interesting. The units are balanced enough to lend themselves to a tournament structure in my opinion, and only lumping them in with all kinds of customs makes it more difficult to get in normal matches with them (nothing against other customs, of course, but I think that many have different goals than the VC ones do). Much like C3G is deserving of its own event, I'd argue that C3V/SoV is as well.

That said, I also don't know how the attendance would be because I've only been to a single GenCon before, and I can see the argument being made that C3G represents SuperheroScape whereas VC extends the classic game and thus can more easily be slotted into other events... But if there's ever a C3V/SoV event, I'd definitely want to participate.
Old March 8th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
I know that VC is allowed in the Open Play events, but I think that a bigger C3V/SoV-inclusive event could also be pretty interesting. The units are balanced enough to lend themselves to a tournament structure in my opinion, and only lumping them in with all kinds of customs makes it more difficult to get in normal matches with them (nothing against other customs, of course, but I think that many have different goals than the VC ones do). Much like C3G is deserving of its own event, I'd argue that C3V/SoV is as well.

That said, I also don't know how the attendance would be because I've only been to a single GenCon before, and I can see the argument being made that C3G represents SuperheroScape whereas VC extends the classic game and thus can more easily be slotted into other events... But if there's ever a C3V/SoV event, I'd definitely want to participate.
And my response will continue to be, run whatever 3 letter custom event that you want during an open play slot. Megasilver and my bff dok have done it several times in the past and I believe they have gone ok overall.

We certainly encourage you guys to take advantage of the time we have available for you to run those sort of events.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con