Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Old December 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape's Very First ONLINE Tournament!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Good gods, this playing online thing has taken off fast. Seems only a few days ago that Griff posted his system.... Then followed an explosion of interested posts; a bunch of maps gridded just for the occasion; Bamoguy's tournament; and now Filthy's dice-rolling application based on A3n's excellent and righteous dice rolling code.
Updated.
Just wait until we code the application to allow you to move your figures on the virtual map.
Good update! Apologies to A3n for overlooking his dice-rolling code.
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
-Random Maps being assigned
Yes, random maps and random pairings (within the normal Swiss rules, that is) are important.

bamoguy, is this the plan? How are you planning on doing the random assignments?

Also, which maps are we using? The list does not seem to be updated. We may as well use the BoV maps that have been heroskyped, and you mentioned using Concrete Jungle.

Quote:
-People rolling their own dice, no one rolling for someone else.
I disagree. To elaborate...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
If anyone plans to play via PM only, I would suggest rolling defense dice for your opponent using the dice-roller app and log file. As long as you put in appropriate comments in the log file ("defense dice for stinger on A5") it should work fine. This way, unless your opponent has decisions on your turn (vanish, scatter, scurry, etc), at least you can get a round done in 6 PMs. That seems agonizingly slow to me, but it beats one PM per roll.

I would much prefer doing games via chat or audio connection, with the help of the dice-roller/log file, though. If you can get in a good rhythm of calling out coordinates, that might not be too much slower than a live game.
I'd prefer not too, its your opponents responsibility to roll up defense dice, account for his bonuses etc... Should he have something with 4 defense and forget there is a Raelin Bonus, its not for you to decide.
... yes, you're right, you are taking away a chance for your opponent to screw up. But in a game taking place over PM, this is a small price to pay for expediency. Particularly given that, if your opponent has plenty of time to mull over the situation before bellying up to the dice-roller app, they are presumably much less likely to forget about that jungle tile or Raelin. Compromises like this are part and parcel of online play.

Basically, if I'm forced to play a game via PM, the pace is going to be glacial enough, and I don't want to slow it down even more by sending a PM that says "I rolled 1 skull. Please roll your defense". Actually, just thinking about that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

To be honest, if it were up to me, I would limit play in this tournament to people that have access to some form of real-time chat or voice capabilities. At the very least, I would give priority to people who are willing to commit to real-time play over those who want to play via PMs or e-mail.

11 of 16 players in the event have skype access. Two others have at least allowed for playing via other real-time options (chat and IM). I would prefer that we require IM/chat room access as a minimum bar to clear. Otherwise, completing games in a week could be a real challenge.

Quote:
Perhaps a designated impartial person who people pm order markers each round?
I like this idea. And that person could send those OMs out to both players after the round/game ends, for verification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
I'm not sure how this slipped through my radar (just real busy time of year I guess) but I am interested to see how this works out. If it is successful, I'd like to be in on the next one. Good luck to all involved and have fun!
If you're willing to skype, then I'd rather have you in the event than the PMers. No offense to the PMers, but a tournament with 16 skypers/chatters is going to go much more smoothly.

Even if we're not willing to kick people out or expand the event (why not have 18 or 20 players? We can always have a 1-round final if there are multiple undefeated players), I think we should start a waitlist. That way, if people don't respond promptly, we can keep things moving.
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
To be honest, if it were up to me, I would limit play in this tournament to people that have access to some form of real-time chat or voice capabilities.
I definitely would agree with that. Slowing down a tournament for a few PMers doesn't seem very "user friendly" to me. But this is Bamoguy's show, so I am willing to watch and see how he does, note his mistakes, and work on a better system for the next E-Tournament.
Bamo will likely agree, and adjust his system next time as well.
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Sorry to do this so late in the show, but since I'm the only one that can do this via PM only, I'm going to drop out. Sorry everyone.

(Having the computer downstairs and no wifi access for my laptop means I'll be going back and forth, which will annoy my dad, and thus I won't be able to post enough.)
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:50 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Megasilver, sorry to see you go, but I appreciate you taking one for the team so that the tournament can run more smoothly.

Benji is the first alternate and takes his seat, I assume?

Let's see... Ninja Status is listed as PM/E-mail only, but (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) he should have access to the same stuff as Son of Arathorn, who has IM/Skype listed. So... Ninja Status can use those, too, right?

That leaves sixthflagbearer as the only one who doesn't say he has real-time access. sixthflagbearer, can you use the chat interface, at least? If not, is there someone who wants to play who can?
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Megasilver, sorry to see you go, but I appreciate you taking one for the team so that the tournament can run more smoothly.

Benji is the first alternate and takes his seat, I assume?

Let's see... Ninja Status is listed as PM/E-mail only, but (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) he should have access to the same stuff as Son of Arathorn, who has IM/Skype listed. So... Ninja Status can use those, too, right?

That leaves sixthflagbearer as the only one who doesn't say he has real-time access. sixthflagbearer, can you use the chat interface, at least? If not, is there someone who wants to play who can?
So long as we aren't playing at the same time. Skype IM'ing is on my laptop. So yeah, he should have easy access.
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

I can probably use Skype chat, but not video, and I can use any of the chats.

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:23 AM

Thanks, guys.

Sounds like we should be able to have "real-time" games across the board.
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:44 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I have 4G internet on my phone but no other internet access at home, but I tether my laptop to my phone. I tested skype with bamoguy by using a skype app on my phone and laptop (using phone's internet) and the phone was better both because the video and sound quality was better and 2nd because I could move the phone to show the figure movement and dice rolls, and my phone case has a stand that I can perch on a movable chair to keep a steady view when I move around.

The following is my preference in order:
1. Skype video and audio. Nothing else is necissary if the map and dice are in camera range
2. Filthy/A3N's app and optional skype/IM audio or live phone call.
3. Skype/IM audio or live phone call
4. IM/ cell TXTing or AliasQTip's chat site
5. PM
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:23 AM

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Just as a quick side note here, my Skype name is David.Karl.Shearin

Look me some time gang, I love to skype.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:36 AM

AwesomeJ-AD2011 Woo who?

Sorry, but although I can use Skype, I would prefer not to do video chat. My parents are concerned about showing my face all over the internet.
Old December 10th, 2011, 05:56 AM

I am concerned about you showing your face all over the internet too.

Most Skype users just use the audio chat. I don't ever use the video with Bats, Tickle, A3n, Hahma, Spidey, Good Pig, or any others.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events