Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:10 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Playtesting Your Units

We always welcome new playtesters at C3G.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:46 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@Porkins That is a possible idea, but it is a little outside of my usual scope. I have no familiarity with HoSS and would have to first immerse myself in the norms of that group before I could start piecing together relevant commentary.

@IAmBatman It is a similar issue for C3G. I have actually tried a two tournaments of that format and have decided that it's not exactly for me.

However, even if I were to do playtesting for these different groups, that is not quite the goal of my articles or of this thread. There is a fantastic community of custom designers who make wonderful units that simply don't get the same attention and focus that these other worthy group projects partake in. In this thread and my articles, I am striving to not only aid these designers with playtesting their units but to also provide further exposure to their work and the community at large.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:15 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Heh. No worries. I figured I'd at least offer, given how slow our OP is.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It's been a while, but this thread still exists and I just got some testing in. Here are the tests for the Warforged Infiltrators by @William099 .

Army Test 1
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2
Spoiler Alert!

All said, these guys are quite powerful. Being a powerful unique ranged squad for 100 points, they are really evocative of the Krav Maga when you play them. The Krav are faster and are far hardier at ranged and even melee, but the infiltrators really pack a punch with their Long Range Proficiency. If the opponent isn't easily capable of returning fire from range, this extra firepower pushes the Warforged over the edge in comparison. Phantom Walk is just gravy to keep them from getting tied down, although they won't often live if an opponent engages them in melee in the first place.

In any case, these guys are powerful and can pretty consistently throw 5 attack dice against the opponent. If grabbing height isn't an option, it's pretty easy to move them to range instead and make sure you keep a consistent 4 attack at least. It can be a little match up dependent on whether or not they will perform better than the Krav Maga, but I may give them the edge in general from the increase in attack. The Krav are already pretty elite so it could probably be safer to cost them slightly higher if you were so inclined.

A fun unit to play at the very least. I hope this was helpful and thank you for sharing!

Last edited by Ixe; November 22nd, 2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: tagged William099
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:40 AM

Re: Playtest Exchange

I managed to get some playtests in for Ro-Par-Ga by @dok

Test 1:
Spoiler Alert!

Test 2:
Spoiler Alert!

I may have been playing her incorrectly with double bounding without attacking (for the second game at least), but Ro-Par-Ga is one heck of a Hivelord. Having played her, I'm having trouble seeing instances where I would want to take Wo-Sa-Ga over her. Her counterpart does have a higher attack, but that benefit is minimized by RPGs high double attack. Morever, her Bound ability and single base make her claiming height an easy proposition and means that she is often instead attacking with 5 dice instead. Couple that with her higher life and I am seeing few matches in which I'd want Wo-Sa-Ga over her.

Even beyond comparisons to the other Hivelord, Ro-Par-Ga felt powerful beyond her points. The movement versatility granted by Bound coupled with Hivelord healing made her a dangerous opponent able to dive in and out of combat and do some heavy damage. Even if I had misplaying her double bound without attacking (which didn't even come up in the first game), the whole picture added up to her being quite the powerhouse. I thought she was a ton of fun to play and offered a lot of interesting gameplay, I just fear that she's got a little too much going on for her in the total package for a mere 110 pts.

I hope this was helpful and thank you for sharing!
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Definitely helpful, thanks for the feedback!

You were playing it right. The "then may" language was intended to mean, as you interpreted it, that you don't need to attack after the bound.
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:44 PM

I had the chance to give the Ogre thug by @JC McMinis a shot in a playtest.

Army Test 1:
Spoiler Alert!

All said, drafting a handful of ogres is quite a bit of fun and the Gang Attack encourages you to bring them up in numbers. Facing down 3 mean, 6 life heroes can certainly be an intimidating prospect, especially when they are back by the Death Chasers. The extra attack die from Gang Attack was even occasionally relevant for getting some extra wounds or just punching past the heavy defense of the Shieldsmiths.

However, even with them being at about their most optimal here, I believe that their army would have just been better off with Ogre Pulverizer's instead. The Lumbering Bully downside would seldom come up, even in that match up, and overall a consistent second attack outweighs the occasional attack boost.

That is not to say that these guys aren't still fun or good to have around. You could probably even get away with a slight drop in price to be honest. I think Gang Attack can encourage some fun play of bringing up an army of ogres and it can be refreshing to take attacks without fear of reprisal if you've been burnt by Lumbering Bully before.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you for sharing.
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:53 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Hi Ixe,
If you are looking for another unit to try out, I would love your opinion of Kyssandra from NWHC:

Kyssandra Ullar, Unique Hero, Warlord - Released 10/28/2013
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...o=file&id=4109

I think she helps the Armocs out very nicely and adds some fun, strategic choices to the battle.

Kyssandra, Queen of the Vipers

Spoiler Alert!
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:59 AM

I had the chance to get in a test of Agent Carr (version 2) by @Dr. Weirdscaper

Army Test 1
Spoiler Alert!

As I had suspected, Agent Carr 2.0 feels a little overcosted for his benefits. He is still fragile with only 4 life and his average move don't help him close the distance for his big sword attacks. The extra attack die from his sword is definitely a nice benefit, but it does not quite justify his cost.

Potshot is not terrible although the range benefit is small enough that removing an X order marker to get it felt like a steep price for such a small effect, and only for the turn. It is best used to keep him just out of the threat range of a melee opponent but it is quite hampered by only being usable once.

In the end of the day, he plays almost exactly like Agent Carr but for an additional 60 points. I'd say that his cost needs to be whittled down some more to justify his cost, although 7 attack is rather enormous. I hope that this was helpful.

Last edited by Ixe; December 4th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Here's a general playtest strategy for Kyssandra, Queen of the Vipers by NWHC

Kyssandra is decently tough on her own for her points. 4 defense with 5 life is around average to slightly better than average survivability for a hero and 7 move + slither means that she can get around rather quickly. Her Serpentine Strike makes her threatening to squads and even scarier to heroes, making her fairly offensively viable as a melee hero. She's not really worth 135 points in that category, however, meaning that you'll need to use her synergies as a warlord and her Queen of the Vipers ability if she can hope to earn her keep, meaning armies with warlord bonding and/or viper squads should be the focus of her testing.

As such, the Armor Vipers are the most obvious choice to go with her, being able to bond and use her to bring back their own. Assorted back up units would probably fare well in these armies, and even drafting another warlord like the formidable Azurite Warlord could use him for primary bonding and leave Kyssandra in relative safety to occasionally produce more brood. The Romans also need not be overlooked as a cheaper bonding option where Kyssandra can instead be used more offensively, particularly as a means of quickly tying down units with her movement and Serpentine Strike. Any of these armies could also benefit from using other vipers such as the Elite Onyx Vipers or the Venoc Vipers, as well as running the Venoc Warlord to grant them additional synergy. She may work particularly well with the Onyx vipers since she can only bring back so many vipers in the first place, meaning you need not go overboard with an entirely viper army. For due diligence, it is worth testing her outside of some bonding armies and maybe only with a few other vipers.

For her opponents, you always want to try to run the usual suite of testing different competitive armies. You'll want to see how she and her brood work against ranged and melee heavy armies. I'd test her against low defense foes to see how quickly she can rack up the kills and higher defense ones where she may need to put the extra attack die of her strike to use. See how well she fares against low attackers with her 4 defense and how that folds to heavier hitters where you may need to be a bit more careful with deploying her.

Lastly, I think you may want to give some consideration to the maps you play on. Vipers have an advantage when they can quickly bypass water tiles on some maps or use their speed to launch to key positions and glyphs.

I'll try to get some tests with her in at some point. I hope this is helpful.
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM

I had the chance to get in some playtest for Kyssandra, Queen of the Vipers by NWHC customs (submitted by @obfuscatedhippo )

Army Test 1:
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2:
Spoiler Alert!

Overall, I really enjoyed playtesting Kyssandra. She was strong enough to fare quite well through bonding turns and I really enjoyed the dynamic of Serpentine Strike. The leaving engagement strike aspect of that power never really came up, however, and honestly feels a little tacked on to how the rest of the power reads. There is already quite a bit going on with that conditional double attack that it is rather easy to forget it is there.

Her Queen of the Vipers power is the real selling point and it is quite fun to use. Serpentine Strike does the added work of making her attack good enough that you sometimes must decide between reviving a squad and attacking. I felt that it particularly helps a squad like the Armoc Vipers since drafting her is like drafting an additional squad of vipers on top of this bonding hero. Outside of the Armoc Vipers, it is a little less natural to use an order marker on the romans or her to bring back a viper that you will only get to use on a future order marker.

Point wise she feels about right. She performed very highly in her second match and a little under in the first, but that is the nature of the game sometimes and how the dice fall. Although her points were inflated by doing so, going out of her way in the second match to bring back the Elite Onyx Vipers was probably worse than just attacking with her in the first place.

A very fun unit in any case. I hope that this is helpful.
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:12 AM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixe View Post
i had the chance to get in some playtest for kyssandra, queen of the vipers by nwhc customs (submitted by @obfuscatedhippo )
Thank you! The NWHC team play-tested Kyssandra as one of our first customs and we found her a great addition to the Armocs. She helps gets the Armocs off the shelf .. and her 'Eggs' are a nice way to help a Viper army. The decision between a double-attack and a 'rebirth' can be a tough one to balance. Her ability to rebirth an Armoc and then take a turn with that Armoc helps keep the pressure on.

Again, thank you for your fantastic observations and putting time into play-testing.

I am happy to return the favor, so PM me if you'd like to test one of your units.

Peace, *Kai

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards