Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old October 20th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Shurrig's Maps: Updated Thread/ New Maps 10/20/18

So I'm currently in the process cleaning up my thread, and as of right now I've uploaded 10 2-Player Maps, two of which are brand new. the original post in this thread was just a link to my google drive folder, which was poor for showcasing my maps. Anyway, here are my two new maps!

Swampy Streets:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dC...-8yjguD19m8ax_

Viney Pines:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VZ...Zl2NEbfOUHP8sC
Old October 20th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey! This is looking great! And you've got some good looking maps posted too. Based off of the few minutes I've spent looking at them, I'd say Druid, Viney Pines, and Walk of the Wolves look like my favorites. With Walk of the Wolves, I might suggest bringing in the big four hex trees inward more to utilize them as more line of sight blockers, but based on the map, I'm not sure where the best place to put them is... maybe behind the 3-hex rock pieces on level 4? I dunno...

BTW, I have played on Grounds of Ashra at a tournament here in Utah, and it was a fun map to play on.

Good work!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 20th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Hey! This is looking great! And you've got some good looking maps posted too. Based off of the few minutes I've spent looking at them, I'd say Druid, Viney Pines, and Walk of the Wolves look like my favorites. With Walk of the Wolves, I might suggest bringing in the big four hex trees inward more to utilize them as more line of sight blockers, but based on the map, I'm not sure where the best place to put them is... maybe behind the 3-hex rock pieces on level 4? I dunno...

BTW, I have played on Grounds of Ashra at a tournament here in Utah, and it was a fun map to play on.

Good work!
Appreciate the feedback man! I might just try moving those trees around the next time I sit down and play! I think my original intent was to make it more difficult to get to the glyphs, but I’m definitely seeing other ways of utilizing them.

Also, that’s awesome! Grounds of Ashra is honestly probably my favorite map of mine to play on.
Old October 21st, 2018, 02:03 PM

Re: Shurrig's Maps: Updated Thread/ New Scenario Map! 10/21/

New Scenario Map! It's called Tombstones

"You and your opponent's army have entered into an enchanted graveyard. Legend has it that a magical tome within the mausoleum has the ability to revive fallen friends, reanimating them to fight another day."

Scenario rules are located in the instructions, enjoy!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vz...MRXQgfup5mqxI-
Old October 21st, 2018, 05:22 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like the simplicity of the Tombstones Scenario map. Thematically it seems a little funny, raising them out of graves on a battlefield that they just died on. I does look like fun to play though.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I like the simplicity of the Tombstones Scenario map. Thematically it seems a little funny, raising them out of graves on a battlefield that they just died on. I does look like fun to play though.
Yeah, I kinda was going for something goofy with this one, but I wanted to make a fun little scenario inspired by Halloween and zombies and such.
Old October 24th, 2018, 01:05 AM

Re: Shurrig's Maps: Two New Maps! 10/24/18

Two more new maps, enjoy!

Forest Frenzy:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=137...LiEalNtouz2P6C

Puddle Hopping
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gt...z3dMKQ7ELECncK
Old October 30th, 2018, 03:54 PM

Re: Shurrig's Maps: New Maps! 10/30/18

Here's a few new maps! I've also updated two of my other maps, Frayed and Walk of the Wolves, enjoy!

Brackish:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cm...CyDdd5bpjDD_vN

Cold Stones:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zz...6AHIzbg-gOQwV_

Paladin:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16n...bds_zET8yOq5va
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Re: Shurrig's Maps: New Map 11/11/18

One new map today! Including a variant ! this map is somewhat inspired by @Flash_19 's Haukeland Marsh, hope you guys like it

Entanglement:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ui...g0OUqQdD5Zb861

Entanglement (Swamp Variant):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vX...tqMdiUq5mVs0x4
Old November 21st, 2018, 03:57 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey! I've been meaning to stop by and share some thoughts on some maps you've posted for awhile now.

I don't think I ever told you, but I like the tweaks you made to Walk of the Wolves. I think the two large trees will be much more beneficial as LOS blockers where you have them now.

Some thoughts on the last few ones you've posted (based purely on the pictures):

Brackish:
I worry a bit about the outside hills by the glyphs - it looks like prime camping territory for ranged units, and from the looks of things, It could be hard for melee units to overtake the hill if ranged units set up shop there. You've got a couple more LOS blockers with the sets you are using that could be very helpful for giving melee units some cover including the Marro Hive, and the Ruins. I like the classic choice of highway or highways you've got going here (quick to the opponent, or set up on height), just the way the map is designed, it's not going to be very easy to redirect melee units to contest the sides.

I do think it's kinda fun to see each mapmaker's unique footprint on their maps - and Brackish definitely has your footprint. I think with a few tweaks it will be solid.

Cold Stones:
I like this one overall - including the use of line of sight blockers. Perhaps one thing you could do (I haven't looked at your build so I don't know if this is possible), is to adjust the road slightly to create spots where road tiles are adjacent to some of those high points on the map. This would help melee out a bit.

Paladin:
This is my favorite of your recent maps. Good use of LOS blockers. I like the location of height on the map, and the way that road tiles are able to help units contest those height positions. I also like how the castle walls are used to limit the dominance of those height positions. Perhaps others will feel otherwise, but I love the addition of battlements to maps when they're used well, and feel the one thing I'd love to see on this map would be some well placed battlements. I think they can add so much aesthetically and also make some interesting pathing decisions.

Entanglement:
Thanks for the shoutout on this one! I do like the simplicity of this design. It will definitely be a blood-bath because of the size of the map, and with maps like this, the first turn could be a significant advantage. If it were me, I might try to utilize a touch more terrain, and extend the map just a little bit. If you don't want to do that, you might want to utilize the ruins in the RotV version to try and minimize first turn advantage by providing a little more cover. I will say, of the two I prefer the swamp variant (i like how it opens up that back pathway to the glyph - though you could sprinkle some normal water tiles in there among the swamp water). I think it could be cool to work the hive into the middle of the map somehow to help with the first turn advantage I mentioned.

You've got some solid stuff going on here! Keep up the great work!

Oh, as a sidenote (and speaking from the perspective of one who has done the same thing), I don't know much about the image hosting site you're using to post your pictures, but if there is another option for posting the pictures, you might want to consider that. It's slightly annoying to click on a picture to enlarge it, and be redirected to another site. I did this on accident when first posting pictures of my maps on my thread too because I didn't know which share link to use on MediaFire (the image hosting site I use). I am not sure if they give you different options for a "direct link", but I might consider looking into that and seeing if you can figure it out for future images you post.

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old December 17th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Hey! I've been meaning to stop by and share some thoughts on some maps you've posted for awhile now.

I don't think I ever told you, but I like the tweaks you made to Walk of the Wolves. I think the two large trees will be much more beneficial as LOS blockers where you have them now.

Some thoughts on the last few ones you've posted (based purely on the pictures):

Brackish:
I worry a bit about the outside hills by the glyphs - it looks like prime camping territory for ranged units, and from the looks of things, It could be hard for melee units to overtake the hill if ranged units set up shop there. You've got a couple more LOS blockers with the sets you are using that could be very helpful for giving melee units some cover including the Marro Hive, and the Ruins. I like the classic choice of highway or highways you've got going here (quick to the opponent, or set up on height), just the way the map is designed, it's not going to be very easy to redirect melee units to contest the sides.

I do think it's kinda fun to see each mapmaker's unique footprint on their maps - and Brackish definitely has your footprint. I think with a few tweaks it will be solid.

Cold Stones:
I like this one overall - including the use of line of sight blockers. Perhaps one thing you could do (I haven't looked at your build so I don't know if this is possible), is to adjust the road slightly to create spots where road tiles are adjacent to some of those high points on the map. This would help melee out a bit.

Paladin:
This is my favorite of your recent maps. Good use of LOS blockers. I like the location of height on the map, and the way that road tiles are able to help units contest those height positions. I also like how the castle walls are used to limit the dominance of those height positions. Perhaps others will feel otherwise, but I love the addition of battlements to maps when they're used well, and feel the one thing I'd love to see on this map would be some well placed battlements. I think they can add so much aesthetically and also make some interesting pathing decisions.

Entanglement:
Thanks for the shoutout on this one! I do like the simplicity of this design. It will definitely be a blood-bath because of the size of the map, and with maps like this, the first turn could be a significant advantage. If it were me, I might try to utilize a touch more terrain, and extend the map just a little bit. If you don't want to do that, you might want to utilize the ruins in the RotV version to try and minimize first turn advantage by providing a little more cover. I will say, of the two I prefer the swamp variant (i like how it opens up that back pathway to the glyph - though you could sprinkle some normal water tiles in there among the swamp water). I think it could be cool to work the hive into the middle of the map somehow to help with the first turn advantage I mentioned.

You've got some solid stuff going on here! Keep up the great work!

Oh, as a sidenote (and speaking from the perspective of one who has done the same thing), I don't know much about the image hosting site you're using to post your pictures, but if there is another option for posting the pictures, you might want to consider that. It's slightly annoying to click on a picture to enlarge it, and be redirected to another site. I did this on accident when first posting pictures of my maps on my thread too because I didn't know which share link to use on MediaFire (the image hosting site I use). I am not sure if they give you different options for a "direct link", but I might consider looking into that and seeing if you can figure it out for future images you post.
Hey, thanks so much for these critiques. This is my second time writing this, as it seems as though I accidentally deleted my entire response. Sorry for not replying to this sooner, as final projects and school sort of took up my life for the past month, so I haven't been super active on this site for a bit.

In regards to Brackish and Cold Stones, I am currently working on changing the mechanics and the aesthetics to them to try to make more interesting battles. I'm glad for the critiques you've made though, because I was scratching my head at what was wrong with these maps, so I thought posting them on here would get me some help. These terrain combinations (especially Cold Stones) are not really in my wheelhouse of terrain I'm comfortable using, mostly because I just always want to use a ton of road.

Also, with Entanglement, I had originally had the start zones set up differently and had different tweaks, so I may revert to that original design.
Old December 17th, 2018, 09:12 PM

No worries my friend! I definitely don't miss school - just ask me how excited I am to start looking into Masters programs...

By the way - my feedback was totally based on just looking at the pictures. Playtesting is the only real way to be absolutely sure. But yeah, I know what you mean about trying to figure out what's wrong with a map - oftentimes a fresh set of eyes can help a ton.

I'll look forward to seeing the tweaks you make!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios