Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old March 14th, 2019, 07:59 PM

TreePowerz is surprisingly tart
Play-tested Custom Terrain Sets

Hey all,

I am continually amazed with the incredible custom squads and heroes that the various groups here on Heroscapers put out (SoV, C3V, and C3G come to mind). The extensive figure play-testing and creativity brings many affordable and unique characters into the fight for the Wellsprings.

I am curious if anyone has gone through a similar process to make custom terrain sets, particularly for the classic-scape realm (as opposed to the superhero figure world). Similar to the TJ, RttFF, FotA, etc...

I have seen some beautiful custom heroscape terrain on the site, but can't find any groups that playtest and release terrain sets "officially," similar to how SoV, C3V, and C3G operate. Does such a group exist?
Old March 14th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Play-tested Custom Terrain Sets

I don't believe such a thing exists, no. But I could be wrong. Closest I know of is what you sort of indicated, which would be C3G's work on some destructible objects, vehicles, and fledgling attempts at buildings (which I still hope to see through).

I know Grishnak's stuff has been playtested thoroughly by him, but not necessarily as part of a forum or guild project.

Finding multiple people with the skills to create the same terrain seems like an obstacle for a project like this.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 14th, 2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I don't believe such a thing exists, no. But I could be wrong. Closest I know of is what you sort of indicated, which would be C3G's work on some destructible objects, vehicles, and fledgling attempts at buildings (which I still hope to see through).

I know Grishnak's stuff has been playtested thoroughly by him, but not necessarily as part of a forum or guild project.

Finding multiple people with the skills to create the same terrain seems like an obstacle for a project like this.

I think that would be the biggest obstacle too. I believe that issue could be mitigated by creating sets that only require re-basing already painted terrain miniatures on Heroscape terrain, or by simply re-painting Heroscape terrain (swamp water tiles could be splashed with some neon green to quickly become acid for example, water tiles spray painted brown for mud, tan for quicksand, etc...). I think this could provide people with cheaper options to acquire more interesting and diverse terrain, while also providing more unique elements to map building.
Old March 14th, 2019, 09:44 PM

I think that would be the biggest obstacle too. I believe that issue could be mitigated by creating sets that only require re-basing already painted terrain miniatures on Heroscape terrain, or by simply re-painting Heroscape terrain (swamp water tiles could be splashed with some neon green to quickly become acid for example, water tiles spray painted brown for mud, tan for quicksand, etc...). I think this could provide people with cheaper options to acquire more interesting and diverse terrain, while also providing more unique elements to map building.
Old March 14th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Sorry for posting the same content multiple times. Fairly new to posting and trying to figure out how to delete posts, lol. If someone could guide me that'd be great, thanks!
Old March 14th, 2019, 09:57 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Well if you're ever interested in something like that for Superheroscape, I think there's a place for it within C3G. If you're sticking with Valhalla, though, I wish you the best of luck!

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 14th, 2019, 10:07 PM

I don't believe you have the ability to delete your own posts. If you send me a link, though, I'm happy to do it for you.

Old March 14th, 2019, 11:14 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

We're fortunate in that Arena of the Planeswalkers comes with some new 100% compatible HeroScape terrain, but most people don't like the cheaper look of the cardboard terrain and it doesn't come with many actual tiles. I still think that the Cryptoliths could make for some very interesting Destructible Objects, but I don't believe that VC intends to create any new types of terrain, since their primary focus is on creating units.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:47 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I agree with @Astroking112 , as I and others have suggested Cryptoliths as well, as they already have "playtested" terrain - playtested by Hasbro/WotC! And even though Magic:AotP sets do not come with that much plastic terrain, the sand in both the 1st and SOI sets would make a great new terrain type with no painting/modification required. My vote on AotP sand would be some kind of quicksand with rules similar to or a slightly nerfed version of Pit Trap (+1 movement on unless you are adjacent to friendly figure) but if there was a group playtested rules with maps designed with these terrain it would be great.

As far as other terrain, it would have to be readily available without modification, or just use a modified C3G's destructible object and throwing rules (they reference the SuperStrength logo) for already released heroscape terrain (trees, rock outcrops, etc.). Only other thing I have suggested is rock and tree terrain that comes with $10-15 Dinosaur buckets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
The custom terrain I would most heartily approve of is Crypoliths and the mats from Magic:Arena (see Could Crypoliths have a place in Competitive HeroScape? and/or my Herosape and Magic:AotP Cryptolith Map Contest) - as they look beautiful with Heroscape terrain, add another terrain type (2 if you count weirded spaces), speed up map building, and allow newer players to be able to build more maps, in addition to AotP units that would make great customs converted to Heroscape units (we just got to get the points right on the Heroscape scale, especially with squads either having one life or made as common squads])

The only terrain that I have seen fit really well is a Dinosaurs Bucket from Wal-mart or Toys-R-Us/Animal Planet that includes rocks and trees that fit perfectly both it both look and on terrain (in addition to Dinosaurs that would make great customs )
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:18 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I will say we've talked about it custom terrain (in the C3V), but there's some issues:
  • It's probably not the kind of thing you can buy off the shelf, and we try to stay away from DIY stuff.
  • Anything we could come up with would likely be obstacles only (like Ticalla Jungle), and it would be hard to differentiate it from TJ rules-wise.
  • It would be hard for our terrain to gain widespread acceptance without being a part of VirtualScape, which is no longer being updated.

I think destructible objects are a possibility, but I think that a terrain expansion is highly unlikely.
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:42 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I will say we've talked about it custom terrain (in the C3V), but there's some issues:
  • It's probably not the kind of thing you can buy off the shelf, and we try to stay away from DIY stuff.
  • Anything we could come up with would likely be obstacles only (like Ticalla Jungle), and it would be hard to differentiate it from TJ rules-wise.
  • It would be hard for our terrain to gain widespread acceptance without being a part of VirtualScape, which is no longer being updated.

I think destructible objects are a possibility, but I think that a terrain expansion is highly unlikely.
Does the Arena of the Planeswalkers terrain do enough to address some of those concerns? Sandstone hardly needs additional rules, but there could be some interesting potential with the Cryptoliths, and they come completely ready to slot into normal battlefields (and they remove even more easily than the fortress door, if the Destructible Object route is taken).

The last issue is definitely a problem, but people have been representing Treasure Glyphs with the Glyph of Brandar in VirtualScape and I think that it comes across fairly well. So long as the build instructions include an explanation, I think that we can get around that obstacle, although it would admittedly be weird.
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:44 PM

With all the talented folks on this site is no one able to/interested in updating Virtualscape (or replacing it with a newer program)?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios