Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkclown789
Shield Wall + Awesome leader = the 300 Spartans! Now all you need is a narrow crack in between some mountains as a map...
Though they're not Spartans, Romans piled up in a narrow pass is something you don't want to fight with an all-melee army in Heroscape!
The Romans actually copied their battle tactics from the Greeks. Heck even their gods! Anyway Hasbro should make some Frank Miller figures...starting with 300! Then Sin City!

Old March 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco
The Romans actually copied their battle tactics from the Greeks.
Not to be a history facts lawyer, but the Romans actually devised their famous manipular tactics on their own. Early on, they were fighting in the Greek phalanx style, though due to the broken and hilly terrain of central Italy and some major defeats against barbaric foes such as the Celts, they abandoned the phalanx as it was too rigid and inflexible to be effective in such an environment. Eventually, these new manipular tactics (which was basically multiple groups of mobile fighting men armed sword, shield and pilum) proved superior to the Greek phalanx, a fact the Roman conquest of Greece and Macedon well proves.

I will say though that I wish we'd see Hasbro release some Greek hoplites. You'd think Craig would get on it while the 300 movie is still hot, as I'm sure they would sell a lot of them right about now.
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Marduk has disabled reputation
There is always the Persian freakshow as well - as one friend put it, "So every mutant that had ever lived up to this point was at this battle?" The zombies are a decent match for the Immortals, just put some nice suits on them.

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco
The Romans actually copied their battle tactics from the Greeks.
Not to be a history facts lawyer, but the Romans actually devised their famous manipular tactics on their own. Early on, they were fighting in the Greek phalanx style, though due to the broken and hilly terrain of central Italy and some major defeats against barbaric foes such as the Celts, they abandoned the phalanx as it was too rigid and inflexible to be effective in such an environment. Eventually, these new manipular tactics (which was basically multiple groups of mobile fighting men armed sword, shield and pilum) proved superior to the Greek phalanx, a fact the Roman conquest of Greece and Macedon well proves.

I will say though that I wish we'd see Hasbro release some Greek hoplites. You'd think Craig would get on it while the 300 movie is still hot, as I'm sure they would sell a lot of them right about now.
You're right. Did the Roman's started using short swords (just like the Sting) in their manipular tactics?

Oh man this is out of the topic! To make this post in topic...
have you guys played Slay The Giant?

Player1 drafts Jotun only.
Player2 drafts 500-600 point all melee squad units only.

Special rules: Jotun's life = 7 + total lives of player2's army (per card not per figure). Then slay the giant!!!

Old June 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: All Melee Armies!!!

600 pointer:

Sir Dupuis
Wo-Sa-Ga
Sgt. Drake Alexander (RotV)
Knights of Weston (x2)
Marrden Nagrubs (x2)

Actually comes out to 595 points. Lots of power, and not too bad on the staying power, also.
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

3 x Anubian Wolves
Khomoset
2 x Wolves of Badru

total - 460 pts

Leaves some filler for 500 pt army. Send out the Anubians first until they're all dead. Then take advantage of the Wolves of Badru bonding and run the rest of the board
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart

WoA x4 200
Charos 210
Krug 100
Raelin 80
Isamu 10

A great 600 pointer melee army! Send out the WoA with Raelin, Charos and Krug slowly move with them while Isamu can chill in the back until his time comes.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Had a ton of fun with this all melee 600 point army on Flash Fire (a road heavy BoV map) sans glyphs:

3xKoW 210
2xTemp Cav 240
Sir Dupuis 150

Leading with the KoW, Sir Duipuis and the Templars were an excellent follow up set of shock troops. Isamu, naturally, darned near eviscerated me with half-a-dozen plus disappearances in a row before he finally fell

~Aldin, knight watchman

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Lord_Paul is surprisingly tart

I, personally, would go with this for an all-melee army:

Cyprien-150
Sonya-45
Zombies 5x-300

Total=495pts

Cyprien takes out the big guns, while the zombies move up to relentlessly devour the remaining members of the enemy army.

It's fun...

Making the world better, one post at a time.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM

STEALTHRULER is surprisingly tart

MY 600 point army - melee
1x Thorgrim
1x Finn
1x Kozuke Samurai
1x Ninjas
1x Marcus
1x Roman legionnaires
600 pts.

I tried it once. Annihilated my opponent.

Hint: Use thorgrim and finn as suicide bombers so you can use their spirit armor. easier than staying adjacent. Thorgrim for samurai, finn for ninja.

My Customs My Maps
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:15 AM

Jak is surprisingly tart

I'm bringing it back, Baby.
post your all melee squads at 500, 750, or 1000 points.
gives us a chance to build with all the great official customs made.
Old June 7th, 2020, 09:27 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Taelord - 180
Rats x5 - 200
Hydra - 120

Honestly I kinda wish the WoA didn’t exist so all melee formats could be more interesting. You’d also need more glyphs on maps so people would be forced to approach more. I guess you could just ban WoA...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion