Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old December 20th, 2012, 12:03 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!
Help with gameplay mechanics

I am looking for help with portraying a special power that works at night. The only option I have seen so far, is to have a night marker placed on the card, but that doesn't seem right way to do it to me. I wouldn't want to use a round marker either, that would a little difficult to monitor during game. Ex after 4 rounds it's night. If any one has any ideas I would appreciate the help.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:08 AM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth
Re: Help with gameplay mechanics

I would represent it by the time you actually play. If its daylight outside, its daytime; if the sun's gone down, its nighttime.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm sorry to say that a black Night Marker and possibly a yellow Day Marker is best here.

The power would be something like this.

Power Name Here
Start the game with 1 black Night Marker or 1 yellow Day Marker on this card. At the end of each round, switch the Night Marker and the Day Marker.

Power Name Here
Now simply reference the proper marker when you want a power to be active.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The other option is to go with a single marker. Which is very ridged on power verbiage.

Power Name Here
Start the game with 1 black Night Marker on this card. At the end of each round, if there is a Night Marker on this card, remove it; otherwise place the Night Marker on this Army Card. While the Night Marker is on this card, you may not use any other special power on this card and:
  • Insert power here.
  • Insert power here.
  • Insert power here.
Power Name Here
Insert power here that is only allowed during the day.

Power Name Here
Insert power here that is only allowed during the day.

If you want to allow only certain powers at night simply swap the name black Night Marker with yellow Day Marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
I would represent it by the time you actually play. If its daylight outside, its daytime; if the sun's gone down, its nighttime.
The biggest problem with this is that the design is probably undraftable half the day. In addition the design would need to be costed as if the time of the day is always the most favorable for the design, further hurting its draftability.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "

Last edited by ibechief; December 20th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I would represent it by the time you actually play. If its daylight outside, its daytime; if the sun's gone down, its nighttime
That would be pretty unique way but what about a werewolf type character?

Quote:
Power Name Here
Start the game with 1 black Night Marker or 1 yellow Day Marker on this card. At the end of each round, switch the Night Marker and the Day Marker.

Power Name Here
This may be the best way but it still is seems way too fast to have a 1 round cycle of day and night. I just thought to try looking at the Moon Knight cards to see if there's anything different.
What about if you used 3 daylight markers and 3 night markers. That would make it a 3 round cycle. Too confusing or just right?

Last edited by Drewman-chu; December 20th, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:45 AM

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman-chu View Post
Quote:
I would represent it by the time you actually play. If its daylight outside, its daytime; if the sun's gone down, its nighttime
That would be pretty unique way but what about a werewolf type character?

Quote:
Power Name Here

Power Name Here
This may be the best way but it still is seems way to fast to have a 1 round cycle of day and night. I just thought to try looking at the Moon Knight cards to see if there's anything different
I edited that post with alternative options. But there really is no verbiage to specify any term longer than a single round.

If you are absolutely set on a longer term I would suggest for you to change the text to start the game with 3 night markers and then at the end of each round remove 1. When they are all gone it is daytime. If you have no night markers on this card place 1 night marker back on this card at the end of each round. Then specify that it is night from the point when you have 3 full night markers on your card until you remove the last marker. Then it is day until you place the 3rd night marker on it again.

It would be a big wall of text but it is probably not as bad as it sounds. It might take me 20 min though to word it out if you are interested in this way. I'd prefer the second option though for your use. 3 turns is a long time to have or not have powers. Sure it does not really represent day and night in the proper scale but neighter do our hexes that we play on.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
It would be a big wall of text but it is probably not as bad as it sounds. It might take me 20 min though to word it out if you are interested in this way. I'd prefer the second option though for your use. 3 turns is a long time to have or not have powers. Sure it does not really represent day and night in the proper scale but neighter do our hexes that we play on.
That's the hard part trying to find the right balance it terms of gameplay. The character I am working on would get a boost to his basic stats or powers at Night. Ideas?
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That's the hard part trying to find the right balance it terms of gameplay. The character I am working on would get a boost to his basic stats or powers at Night. Ideas?
Yeah, I'm thinking either you have to go with Markers and try and stretch the time till they drop (or how many you need to lengthen the cycle) or you run a while different theme. Maybe trying to allow his nighttime powers to be used when on shadow tiles, when adjacent to any terrain feature that is his height or taller, and when under overhangs. This wont be "night" but it will represent the darkness.

Old December 20th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I've seen "night" mechanics done like this in the past:

OM 1 = morning
OM 2 = midday
OM 3 = night

It's a fun way to do it. Figures who are nocturnal get more powerful at night (OM 3), etc.
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
I've seen "night" mechanics done like this in the past:

OM 1 = morning
OM 2 = midday
OM 3 = night

It's a fun way to do it. Figures who are nocturnal get more powerful at night (OM 3), etc.
Wow, that is a really short cycle! How in the heck would you explain that in a power?

Also you just about guarantee you know where the 3rd order marker is if you play this way.

Old December 20th, 2012, 09:12 PM

FATSNACK Woo who?

How about: At the beginning of each round roll the 20 sided die: If you roll X or higher it is considered to be nightime. This will then be effective for at least 3 rounds of play if successful.
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:02 PM

[quote]
[
Quote:
quote]
OM 1 = morning
OM 2 = midday
OM 3 = night

I think this is the simplest way to do it, but I have to agree with Chief. It seems too short and doesn't offer any real strategy to gameplay.

Quote:
How about: At the beginning of each round roll the 20 sided die: If you roll X or higher it is considered to be nightime. This will then be effective for at least 3 rounds of play if successful.
I actually had a power written out that way and it does add a random element to when it's night. Not a bad way to manage such a power in the long run. How do other people feel?

Last edited by Drewman-chu; December 20th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
OM 1 = morning
OM 2 = midday
OM 3 = night

I think this is the simplest way to do it, but I have to agree with Chief. It seems too short and doesn't offer any real strategy to gameplay.

Quote:
I actually had a power written out that way and it does add a random element to when it's night. Not a bad way to manage such a power in the long run. How do other people feel?
This makes it random... Day and Night Cycles are not random though. If you are going to make it random, don't waste time with any reference to day and night at all. Just require a d20 roll in the power with X or higher for success. Because at that point it is no different than any other ability.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations