Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 1st, 2006, 01:37 AM

BrayD has disabled reputation
Double/Triple thick terrain tiles?

Interestingly, the biggest complaint I hear from prospective players about Heroscape is the setup time. It apparently takes too long to unpack pieces and set the game up for some folks. While I really don't think HS is any worse than many other games with regards to set-up, I do kinda see their point.

One thing that might help would be if later terrain sets came with doube and/or triple thick hex tiles. In other words, terrain tiles with a Height 2 or 3, (maybe higher???) rather than the 1 (or even .5) that we are familiar with. This way, folks could build taller scapes faster, add cliffs or steep hills and ridges... gullies and valleys... even trenches!

For some of you with many multiple master sets, this might be a no-brainer to try. (Maybe have even tried already.) Unless gluing parts of your set together, perhaps never again to be separated, is a taboo modification.

Anyway, what about it? I think tiles that are multiple levels in Height would be a valuable addition.

Almighty Heroscape Designers, hear my plea!

When in doubt, roll hot dice.
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:43 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
too long too setup? yeah, I understand. usually we just leave a board up at all times so quick games are possible.

gluing pieces together?!
Taboo!
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:01 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Hexes + Glue = BANNED FOR LIFE!

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 1st, 2006, 03:23 AM

thehandofzarquon is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Heroscape has a much longer setup time than pretty much most games I play. Risk (And the other variantions) is probably the only contender (at least for my group...), although you have consider choosing your starting territories as "setting the game up", though.

Still, there are two options:

Find a place you can set up a map and build it ahead of time. Then, all you have to do is draft armies. The longer you can keep it set up, the better. Get as many games on each map as possible.

Or check out the MOP Project thingy here.

Glory to the Many.
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:32 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehandofzarquon
Find a place you can set up a map and build it ahead of time. Then, all you have to do is draft armies. The longer you can keep it set up, the better. Get as many games on each map as possible.
When playing with newbies, adding the use of pre-existing Armies chosen by the Draft Wizard can help speed up the process immeasurably. Double the amount of Armies created by the Draft Wizard to the number of people playing and choose an Army randomly for each player. This way you need only explain a few Special Abilities rather than all those on 100 Army Cards! This will stop their heads from spinning completely off.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:43 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
And, of course, for those of us who actually enjoy building new maps (in fact, other than the very first game, I've never again played on an official map), that "prep time" is half of the fun. Building a new map as a group project can also be a hoot.

Gluing hexes together seems to me a tragedy in the making.
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:52 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi

Kind of along the lines of someone punching holes in their cards in order to put them in a binder ewwww!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My friends and I agree that building the map is half the fun! The nigh-unlimited creative options for battlescape-building is a blast! Islands, river scenes, canyons, hills/mountains, city-scapes, forested plains, volcanic ruins,.... Building the battlefield IS playing the game, in my opinion!

(except for building official maps... "following directions" isn't as fun as freeform building... I will acknowledge that)

And as for new ideas for terrain forms, I wouldn't be impressed with double or triple height pieces... but as was discussed in other threads, having "ramp" or "sloped" terrain pieces would be sweet! That would be another great way to more quickly ascend height and not worry about climbing rules/limitations.

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old September 1st, 2006, 09:42 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Double/Triple thick terrain tiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi

Kind of along the lines of someone punching holes in their cards in order to put them in a binder ewwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrayD

Anyway, what about it? I think tiles that are multiple levels in Height would be a valuable addition.

Almighty Heroscape Designers, hear my plea!
Have you seen Bad_Calvin's terrain 'chunks' AKA Mountain Makers? I'm sure he was thinking along these same lines.

http://cablespeed.com/~bad.calvin/eb...te-lifter.html
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
I think that multiple height peices could be an excellent addition to the terrain. As others have said, I find building the map to be as much fun as conducting the battles, so I feel anything that gives new dimmesions to that aspect of the game to be a bonus.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
I've been a LEGO-HO since I was a small child, so the "Building of a Map" is half of the fun for me, as well as some of the other guys here.

I can see how some folks could feel dragged when they are building because they want to annihilate their opponent.

I can tell you that sometimes it even helps me to just spend a couple of hours building a map to wind down after a hectic week. Get up on Saturday morning, watch some cartoons and build a map,

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hopefully hasbro will give us some pre-made hills!

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion