Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 18th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

What beautiful stuff! I have approximately the same kinds of things in my larger scale of 54mm. As we have discussed, I used to write for Hal's magazine. Unfortunately, I am not on Facebook. If you could get an email address for him and PM it to me, I'd be happy to say hello after all these years. Or you could say hi for me, except that you don't know my name, which I could PM to you!

Chas
I thought your real name is Jon Snow

But yeah, if you want to pm me your "real" name. I'll let Hal know you said Hi and ask for his email address.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 18th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

What beautiful stuff! I have approximately the same kinds of things in my larger scale of 54mm. As we have discussed, I used to write for Hal's magazine. Unfortunately, I am not on Facebook. If you could get an email address for him and PM it to me, I'd be happy to say hello after all these years. Or you could say hi for me, except that you don't know my name, which I could PM to you!

Chas
I thought your real name is Jon Snow

But yeah, if you want to pm me your "real" name. I'll let Hal know you said Hi and ask for his email address.
My mind is blown! I really thought your real name was Chas. I thought Hahma was really Hahma, which is a kick-a$$ name for realzies, by the way. Is Dad_Scaper not really Dad Scaper, first name Dad, last name Scaper? Wait! Is Jim really Jim?

Man oh man.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; July 18th, 2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: What the hell? Reality is crashing all around me, lol. Truthfully, I thought Chas was your real name...
Old July 18th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I am Batman.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 18th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Is Dad_Scaper not really Dad Scaper, first name Dad, last name Scaper?
Curiously, my name is not actually Dad Scaper. My son, however, is actually Kid Scaper, as I've said many times, and my dad is actually Grandpa Scaper. My actual name is, and this may come as a shock, Ernest John. Ernest John Scaper. Though many know me by my nickname, "Dad," I've never forgotten the importance of being Ernest.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 19th, 2018, 08:05 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Well, Chas is one of my real nicknames. That's pretty close!

BTW, here's the link to my long BGG session report on my latest exciting game of Big Trouble In Little China:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...cerer-solitair

Shorter notes on my first six previous games are there too!
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:12 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Played a four player game of Big Trouble In Little China with three other live players yesterday, and had fun introducing it to them in my 8th game.

Originally it was supposed to be a six player, but we had two last minute cancellations. So I've now tried it with 1,2, 3, and 4 live players, and 1, 2 and 6 characters solitaire. It continues to please, and I haven't even looked at the expansion quest yet. The game is now available at retail (although the expansion is not yet). Its highly recommended if you like text based co-op questing!
Old July 22nd, 2018, 04:25 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Wait! Is Jim really Jim?

Man oh man.
Legally or realistically?

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old July 24th, 2018, 12:30 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I seem to recall an @chas post where he mentioned his name in the context of his former life as a history professor. But now I remember neither the name, nor whether that post was here or on BGG.
Actually, I bet it was BGG in the Mare Nostrum forum.
Old July 24th, 2018, 07:41 AM

That's because I'm actually Lamont Cranston, The Shadow, and I've clouded your mind!

Old July 24th, 2018, 08:42 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Played a 4 player game of El Dorado yesterday. Maybe it's just the hexes and customizable map that reminds me of another game I love, but I really liked it. The short bursts of map movement to reach choke points or blocking spots mixed with the deck building really appealed to me.
Old July 24th, 2018, 09:55 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I'm looking for a game recommendation. My son is 5 years old and really into games but not quite into reading yet. I'm not looking to force the reading thing so I'm looking for games that can be fun for both of us without having to read too much stuff to him while we're playing.

This is what we're playing right now:
• Uno (I hate this game)
• Othello
• Pente
• King of Tokyo (I explain the power cards when they come up)
• Dungeon! (I have gotten really bored of this one)
• Straw
• Robot Turtles
• LEGO Heroica

I'm getting ready to try
• Small world
• Splendor
• Star Realms (minus any cards that are finicky)
• Catan
• Citadels (minus the purple cards)
• and Carcassonne if I can talk him into it (I don't think the box looks exciting enough or something? He hasn't wanted to play so far)

I'm even thinking of playing Heroscape with some simple army cards (maybe blade gruts, arrow gruts, grimnak, and Krug).

So basically I'm looking for games where the "power text" is based primarily on numbers and symbols, rather than paragraphs of exposition. A single sentence is usually fine, especially if there are just a few sentences that are repeated often (like in Star Realms "Draw a card" or "Target opponent discards a card").

What I would like are some more games featuring RPG elements (primarily character building, dungeon crawling, and monster fighting), resource management (like a euro game), or non-abstract strategy. Most likely not all in the same game (he's still only 5 )

I looked briefly at the Tiny Epic games. They looked like they have a fair amount of text still, and they said on boardgamegeek that they're for ages 13+.

I've also been thinking about Mice and Mystics. It's been a while since I demoed that at GenCon; how much reading does it require of the mice players?

Anyway, any suggestions of games I haven't mentioned, or commentary on the ones I have?
My son started learning Heroscape at 5. But as someone mentioned earlier 5-7 year olds can be all over the map developmentally. The way we handled it was that I'd take 1 or 2 "bad guy" figures and I'd let him take whoever he wanted and he just learned to count spaces and add and subtract skulls and shields when attacking. As he got better the point totals approached a balance. He's 10 now and we are pretty even in skill.

It was also a good stimulant to him learning to read. I had a binder with all my rectangle C3G cards. Some evenings he'd flip through looking at characters and I'd read powers to him. I'd come home from work and he'd have teams built since he had learned to add point totals.

It was surprising how fast he picked it up and the point totals of Heroscape are great for balancing...I think after he learned the game and could read a little we were doing 2 to 1 army totals (800 points vs 400 points) and we slowly worked him up to even. The key was keeping him excited without me having to play to lose...then it's boring for me. So giving him a massive army vs my small army allowed me to play to win but made the odds where he'd win most times...but since I was the bad guys it worked...the good guys were suppose to win most of the time.

Other games he has enjoyed when he was younger...Not limiting it to 5 since those first years fly by and he'll be 8 before you know it...

King of Tokyo - I think 5 or 6
Ticket To Ride - maybe 7 - played with an adult the first few times and then refused to play with a "helper" after that. We decided to just let him play as it added a degree of difficulty to our routes since he was really unpredictable sometimes. He eventually learned the strategy and now at 10 he's pretty solid.

Archeology the new adventure - 8 - He's a beast at this game. He's got a system that works for him and he wins as often as anyone else.
Spledor - 9 - We didn't get this until recently but he could have played it at 8 - I sometimes don't see what he could be possibly thinking but then out of nowhere he wins so I'm thinking he knows what he's doing he's just using a different approach than I can understand.

I also hated UNO...loved it as a kid and so did he but I was glad when he stopped asking for it...

We have played Tiny Epic Galaxy and Tiny Epic Kingdom...They are tricky even for my son so I'd hold off on those for awhile. Though they are nice small traveling games that fit easily into a bag. He like Galaxies pretty well we just don't play it often. Kingdom we only played once.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Playtime has been limited, however, I have tried a number of games out of late.

I tried the Harry Potter deckbuilding game from USAopoly and it seemed like it had potential, but we had to stop at Year 2 because it had the wrong cards in the deck.

I've finished painting and have played a couple games of Star Wars Legion. It's fun and I look forward to seeing the gameplay evolve as new unit types are released.

Last week, my A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures showed up and they are pretty, but I haven't had a chance to play or start painting as of yet.

However, I did just finish painting my Blood Red Skies stuff and have enjoyed playing that one.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games