Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Nice card. Did you design him around the mini?
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:35 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Nice card. Did you design him around the mini?

Yes. With help from BiggaBullfrog, Tornado, and Drewman-chu. Card thanks to Dr. Goomonkey.

Last edited by kolakoski; April 3rd, 2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 12:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I really hope the mini comes out as good as the digital render

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 04:25 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I really hope the mini comes out as good as the digital render

Why wouldn't it?

Old April 5th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Well met!

For 4/18: First game with Sherman Davies' pre-set armies, featuring his customs.

"We'll play a 10-round game. At the end of any round, if the Uruk-hai occupy all of the four key glyphs on the map (I'll place them at the start of the game) they win. The good guys win if they can prevent this by the end of the game."

The second game will be the same, but with each of the Gang bringing a 600 point army of his own creation (pairings to be determined).

Kha will make his debut!

Old April 10th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Well met!

For 4/18:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

"We'll play a 10-round game. At the end of any round, if the [bad guys] occupy all of the four key glyphs on the map (I'll place them at the start of the game) they win. The good guys win if they can prevent this by the end of the game." ~ Sherman Davies

Kha will make his debut!

From Sherman Davies:

"Good guys start within the keep, bad guys start outside it."

"I'll decide where the glyphs go on the day of the game. They'll all be within the keep, evenly spaced out. The armies for the second game can be whatever you guys like, as long as it's Classic/VC (not counting [kolakoski]'s custom, natch)."

The parameters are set. chas and I are the good guys, Taeblewalker and Sherman Davies are the bad guys. Tentatively, I'm going with

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Old April 11th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Re: New Sensei

Well met!

I've been studying Karate for 22 years. I've occasionally commented upon it herein (see
Heroscape & Karate - Martial Arts, Birthday Meditation, All Good Things Must . . .) Last week, I promoted to Sensei (4th degree Black Belt) in Kenshikai Karate.

New Sensei
(on the right)

Below is an extract from my promotion essay:

I did not begin studying Karate until I was 46 years old. I had only recently begun to work out, after meeting and marrying (six years previously) my wife, Babs, who had recently become an instructor at the Vanderbilt YMCA. Karate was initially a way to learn the basics of working out - how to move myself, and some light weights and cables, efficiently, such that I didn't hurt my previously sedentary self, but it soon became much more than that, its lessons having a profound, positive effect on my life.

Over a year ago, Shuseki Shihan showed me a group picture taken when I was a White Belt - 22 years ago. He told me that everyone in that picture who was still practicing was Sensei or above - except me - and it was time for me to join them.

If I was to do this, I would have to step up in my training (polish my basics and be solid in my knowledge of all material), in order to promote.

Gratitude has come to permeate everything I do in Karate. I am grateful for the respect shown to me from the first moment I stepped foot in the Vanderbilt YMCA dojo. For a place where it is expected that all are treated with respect, where all are considered works in progress as "we polish the mirror," where, counter to many's public perception, kindness is more present generally than outside it, where we learn the truth about how good and noble we can be, and learn to face and overcome the less desirable aspects of our characters.

I have been seriously injured only once (a partially torn meniscus), when I was already a Black Belt. I could not step off a bus without extreme pain, and the only kind of exercise I could really do was swimming. I went to class, but, being so hobbled, in my mind, I was just "representing."

I was concerned that I would no longer be able to fight, and considered the possibility that I would be forced to stop practicing altogether. And I swore that I would be appropriately grateful if I were able to walk properly again, let alone continue to practice Karate. If that were not enough, I live on Roosevelt Island, with its hospitals and handicapped living spaces, and see every day people who are infirm or unable to walk at all. Every day, I am faced with reasons to be grateful.

Old April 11th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Well met!

Just purchased Kha proxy:

May have for next week's game. Real figure not available 'til May.

If not, chas and I settled on the figure below.

Anybody know what this is?

Last edited by kolakoski; April 11th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old April 11th, 2018, 11:38 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Congrats to Kolakoski on his karate promotion and recent birthday! I'm only two years younger, but at the opposite of the physical spectrum. He and Taeblewalker, who has recently achieved his own physical victories, remain inspirations to me to improve in taking care of myself! Thanks, guys!
Old April 11th, 2018, 11:54 PM

K.,

I picked the figure up at a Con flea market years ago. Before I painted over the base, I believe it said "Assassin."

I'm looking forward to the scenario, as the Helm's Deep map is something we've been wanting to use for some time. SD notes that he (or someone else) put four original sections together into one board! Besides standard Scape cards, we'll also be using some of his great LOTR customs, which we've used before, and are available elsewhere onsite.

Last edited by chas; April 12th, 2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:39 PM

Well met!

I fear they've changed sculpts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Just purchased Kha proxy:

May have for next week's game. Real figure not available 'til May.

If not, chas and I settled on the figure below.

Anybody know what this is?

This is from Pathfinder's website. . . . or is it just a different angle . . . ?

Last edited by kolakoski; April 14th, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old April 19th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Well, we had a terrific game of Sherman Davies Scape! The Helm's Deep map took a little longer to build than anticipated; so we didn't get a second game in with K.'s custom. He'll probably be over soon to playtest it.

The Helm's Deep map was incredible, and Sherman took some pictures. He had edited together four game maps by peterparkerh. SD's famous Lord of the Rings customs and the normal Scape units he chose looked beautiful on the map. I'll comment further when the photos show up. T. couldn't make it, but K. and I won with the Good Guys in an eight turn game against the Dark Game Master's evil armies.

We were very lucky in taking out the two evil Trolls ( Krug and the custom Olog-Hai) much more quickly than anticipated! So they smashed down the main castle gate door but never got into the deeper keep door which held Gimli and one of the glyphs. Gandalf and the cavalry came in at the end and really tore up the orcs from the rear, just like in the book! They took out the evils going wide for the two undefended glyphs at the end through the wall gap, and many orcs heading for or on the ladders supporting the attack on the wall extension.

The four glyphs were scattered widely along all points on the "inside" of the fortress; the smaller side behind the main wall, with only one in the main keep of the castle. Upon his postgame reflection, SD had given the two armies equal points, although the evils had lots more figures. So they found it difficult to accomplish their offensive mission. He'd probably give evils more of an army building advantage next time.

SD would also not start all of his archers on the steep side of the main stairway, since most of them never got into he battle from its forbidding slope. We fought in the main keep and on the wall extension, but abandoned the part of the wall beyond the open gap and the space behind the gap, which together held two of the four glyphs. The third one behind the juncture of the wall and main keep was never attacked, although we kept it covered. If we'd played a second game, I was going to suggest using this far side of the map at and behind the wall gap only.

The Evils got up the staircase into the main courtyard, and also up on the wall extension by various ladders, so they did pretty well, in most cases fighting off the Knights of Weston posted at the tops of the ladders after taking some initial casualties. At game start a quick initial sortie by Moltenclaw swept some of our archers off of the main gate parapet before he went down himself. The Goods got in lots of hits with their remaining archers, and defended nicely in melee as well.

(Edit) For those photos by SD see his LOTR Customs thread here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...=25487&page=38

My gaming neighbor showed up in the evening after our usual grab and go dinner from the deli downstairs with his new copy of Lords of Hellas, and we did our first four player of it, which he won (he's won all four of the plays of it so far, previously including a two player and two three players). But everyone liked the design.

Its looking like we'll be returning to some Marvelscape Superhero games in the near future. I'll be running a game next month in May, tentatively scheduled for May 9.

Last edited by chas; April 23rd, 2018 at 06:32 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion