Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old February 24th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

A new card format TGRF.

You were summoned for consideration of writing short bios on Heroscape figures that lack them. The bios would go on the back of the cards.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 24th, 2017, 01:06 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I just noticed a subtle horizontal shading break at the top of the figure image. I gather this has always been there but I never picked up on it before because it was sitting under the figure name. Now that the figure is out in the open off to the right, though, I'd try to eliminate that shading break, to (even further) open up the design and allow the figure image to float as high as we like.
Old February 24th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
You were summoned for consideration of writing short bios on Heroscape figures that lack them. The bios would go on the back of the cards.
"Summoned" is strong language in that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
We have a lot of creative and talented folks to pull from on this site who know the background of many characters off by heart. Give them a shot or look to the writers of the site to come up with ideas. People like @The Grim Reaper's Friend and so forth. This is your project but the road to success doesn't need to be lonely. Which is obvious considering the number of folks giving you ideas along this.
"Mentioned" by someone who is not driving the bus is probably more accurate. I would not, in TGRF's shoes, add anything to my "to do" list, at this point in time.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:16 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
We have a lot of creative and talented folks to pull from on this site who know the background of many characters off by heart. Give them a shot or look to the writers of the site to come up with ideas. People like @The Grim Reaper's Friend and so forth. This is your project but the road to success doesn't need to be lonely. Which is obvious considering the number of folks giving you ideas along this.
"Mentioned" by someone who is not driving the bus is probably more accurate. I would not, in TGRF's shoes, add anything to my "to do" list, at this point in time.
Mentioned is the correct tone, as @Dad_Scaper points out, I'm a passenger just calling from out from the back seat between sips from the flask. There are a variety of writers around this site, TGRF is just the one I've read the most from on this site.

But back to reality, with a sickening thud, the last Augamo card with the writing on the left looks very sharp indeed. Flipping the size to the left was a stroke of genius.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; February 24th, 2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: slurp...slurp.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:40 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I prefer colorful.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 11:32 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Rectangular card history

I will catch up on this thread later today, but thought I would post the results of some research I did on previous efforts to make small, rectangular Heroscape cards.

Perhaps the most widely used ones are the Raudulfr Shieldcrusher design, also used by @mathguy for C3G, C3V/SoV, and HoSS cards:

While some have expressed reservations about the visual design, they have three big things going for them: 1) lots of room for special power text, 2) easy to use (create) cards with this template, and 3) the huge efforts by RS & mathguy to have such a large coverage of ready-to-use cards.
Spoiler Alert!

----
A very similar amount of space for special power text is available using Just_a_Bill's design which has been has been taken up by @japes for C3G cards:

I find it to be an improvement in many ways over RS's design, both visually and features-wise. Presumably it is a harder to work with than RS's though, and I don't think blanks are widely available.
----
JAB's design is pretty new, but my previous favorite design was grithog's design:

I liked them so much that I had thousands of these printed for official cards gave them out to fellow HSers a few years back. grithog never released templates so customs have never used these. A big disadvantage of these is that there is less space for special power text, so customs on-average having greater needs in that area mean it probably wouldn't have worked too well anyway. I liked the large art area and it was nice that it copied some elements from the official cards.
----
grithog's design was one of a few designs that had a small special power text area. Most of these sorts of designs are from the early days, before the need for more space was identified, but two of them came from A3n's design (first), and Fl0ydski's design (second). Also somewhat similar, but with more space, was Darkon Valor's design (third):

fl0ydski sourced his figure art from the Hasbro drawings, which, combined with his madskillz, lead to awesome looking cards, but greatly limited how many cards he could do since comic art wasn't available for most. I read that he did start using photographs, but have never seen how those turned out.
----
There was a design by Nyte Ex13, with contributions by ReqMan that underwent several revisions. I haven't found what the final design looked like (image links are broken), but this was one of the drafts:

Speaking of broken images, there were also designs by JpX, GeneralRolando, cpare, Simpsons Scaper, and ClintonM (each of those links is to their respective threads about their projects), but I haven't found images for what any of these looked like. If anybody has images of these or knowledge of other styles, please let me know, and I'll add them to this archive.

@Sujoah had a text-only design that looked something like this:

And finally, there was a BGG user that created abridged tiny cards with lots of design, but no figure art. They looked like this:

I tried to learn from these designs in creating the new design in this thread. A key tension is that people do like attractive designs, but the need for lots of special power text space is very real and that limits the amount of space you can allocate to art (because the cards are so small) and you reach the point where the cards lose usability if you keep shrinking text. Using the images above (and the Augamo card from our new design), I came up with this table of percent of card space devoted to special power text. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, so give or take a percent or two here and there, but this gives you the general idea of where the designs fall. Our new design is more flexible and can have more or less space than listed below since the art can be adjusted (and there are other tweaks available too), but this is about how much space was available on Augamo as shown previously in the thread:

Raudulfr: 53%
justabill/japes: 53%

xorlof 46%
LordRaidor: 45%?

Nyte Ex13: <39%
Darkon Valor: 38%
Sujoah: 34%

A3N: 29%
grithog: 27%
fl0ydski: 25%

EDIT: I forgot to link to Maddog80's simple, but effective design for Halo customs.

EDIT2: Not all mentions worked, so I'm copying them here in case these people have an interest in other rectangular designs: @Raudulfr Shieldcrusher , @Just_a_Bill , @grithog , @Fl0ydski , @A3n , @GeneralRolando , @Simpsons Scaper , @ClintonM , @Maddog80

EDIT3: Including one of the cards from this thread for reference to those who only see this post. The current design is evolving, though:

EDIT4: KillMeForPrizes created a few designs, the most developed of which required you to flip the card over to see any special power text. Check spoiler for his designs.
Spoiler Alert!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; March 2nd, 2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fixing links
Old March 2nd, 2017, 12:28 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the new design.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The ability to seamlessly shift the amount of space devoted to the figure image is definitely one of the big plusses of this design. I suppose the flip side of that is that it makes it more difficult to put together a card in the first place, but I don't think it's that hard, and I think the better visual design and larger power text font on text-heavy cards makes it worth it.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:23 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Can't wait til you've got it nailed down @Xorlof . This is a very simple, yet elegant design. Plus what ever little gimmick you did with the figures art is selling it for me as well. I don't like figure art on cards as much as comic art but this thing your doing makes it a bit more appealing to me where if I did my customs I'd use this instead of trying to find a picture.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:44 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

To be honest, I've liked this so much that I halted all my work on my cards to see how this pans out.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:26 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Thinking back to that last 'history' post...with 18 separate rectangular card designs, there obviously is a reasonably wide appeal to the concept of moving to an easier-to-work-with card design than the somewhat unwieldy (but unarguably iconic) traditional card design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
To be honest, I've liked this so much that I halted all my work on my cards to see how this pans out.
Yeah, the extra room afforded by the image on the right placement *might* just make these superior even for cards with lots of text. The jury is still out. I don't know if the community will ever coalesce around a single rectangular design, but what we're developing in this thread sort of makes me not want to ever have to deal with the traditional shape again. (It may not be a coincidence that the currently most vocal champions of poker-sized cards--japes and me--are in the art departments of large customs groups). As heretical as it may sound, if we were ever to get complete coverage of Official, C3V/SoV, C3G, and HoSS in this design or a combination of this and japes' design, I don't think I'd ever go back to using the traditional design personally. I realize that that day, if it were ever to occur, is still a long ways off. (To be clear, don't let my group membership call into question that C3V would still release using the traditional design).

Being able to get cards printed & cut cheaply, easily, and with professional-level quality, combined with the space advantage of such cards, combined with being able to otherwise take advantage of the huge infrastructure of support that traditional sized cards enjoy (storage solutions, sleeves as needed, miscellaneous accessories, printing options, etc.) just feels like a huge win. In some small sense (repeating, "small" to avoid overstating my case) the funky Heroscape card design has been holding us back I think.

And if my eyes begin to fail me and I ever need bigger text these cards become even more of a win. Why? The text on these is still as big as it is on official cards, and if I need bigger versions some day I can more easily print larger sizes (with text that is larger than official cards) and still have room to very comfortably put them on the table. (Try that with an enlarged official card). A small nerdy detail related to that--poker size cards are 3.5-inches by 2.5-inches. That means their aspect ratio is 1.4:1. Anybody else recognize that that is very close a particular magic ratio?
Spoiler Alert!

A couple of days ago, I played with printouts of this new design and they felt GOOD; no real downsides observed in the test other than an opponent having to familiarize themselves with the new layout, and that takes basically no time. He loved the "bonus" of the info on the back too. The test felt good even in the less obvious aspects we haven't already covered, but come up when you play--there's enough room for OMs and wound markers, opponents can still read important info from the card from their side of the table, everything remained super-legible, etc.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Does this mean I am off the hook for proof reading?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations