Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old November 2nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Blood Rage is an excellent game. @akden and I (and a couple others) played it once, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He's more experienced than I and could say more, but I enjoyed the combination hand management / area control / dudes on a map feel of the game. It played quickly, too, even though it was a teaching game. Good choice.

Enjoy!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:50 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Got to play Mansions of Madness 2nd edition last night and really enjoyed it. The app for the game does a smooth job of running the scenario and seemed intuitive (the owner of the game did most of the button pushing). When we first started I felt a little distracted by having to refer to the pad for story elements and instructions, but after a round of play it blended in and became a fairly seamless part of the experience.

I've never played the original game before so I can't offer any comparison, but I did enjoy the game and would gladly play again. Hopefully new scenarios are realeased regularly for the app and Fantasy Flight does a good job keeping it running on older devices. That would be my only concern with owning a board game that is so dependent on an app. It's only one operating system update away from potentially becoming obsolete, but hopefully that will not be the case here.

For anyone interested, the first episode of Tabletop season 4 just released on YouTube today. There will be one more episode released on YouTube before it goes to subscription service only and then back to regular releases on YouTube starting January 30, 2017. Looks like episode one is Lanterns.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Just got in my Deadeye Walkers for Zombicide: Black Plague. Has anyone got to play with those yet? I can't wait. Also, I have been on the fence over buying BLOOD RAGE. But went ahead and pulled the trigger last night on Amazon. After watching the good reviews on Dice Tower I had to jump off the fence, finally. Anyone on here a fan of that one? Also, I seen the 5th player expansion for Blood Rage on there as well. Is it worth it to buy? I'm not sure I need it unless it brings more to the table than just another player. Over Halloween I got to play a game called SPEAK OUT. With the mouth guards, and the trying to say stuff for your team mate to guess. It was so fun, my wife went and bought it the day after.
Blood Rage is an awesome game, one of my absolute favorites. It's an excellent mix of card drafting and area control with great miniatures. You won't regret your purchase. The 5th player expansion basically just adds a new clan of miniatures and additional cards that are only used with 5 players, so unless you're going to play with 5, you don't need to pick it up.

One of the neat things I find with the game is that certain cards are only used with certain player counts. My first few games were with four players, so the first time I played with three, I kept expecting particular cards to show up. Once you're familiar with the cards, it can really alter your strategy, depending on the player count. Another fun aspect is how the cards you draft can have a major impact on your overall plan of action. It's just an excellent game, and I hope it lives up to the hype for you.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Blood Rage!

See my review here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...uest-fulfilled
Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:58 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Thanks guys. I cant wait til friday. I love amazon prime Every time im on Amazon looking through board games Ive always put it in my cart then saved it for later. Not this time.

Edit: great review. @chas .

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:47 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Had a great time yesterday playing my first two games of Game of Thrones: The Iron Crown, with the max of five players. Its fast moving and only takes an hour or so. Its a negotiation game where anyone can offer to join in on the action any turn.

Right now five of the major houses are available, so many expansions are possible in the future.
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Tried Guardian's Chronicles with the two boys the other night and we were all pretty disappointed. I don't think we were in the right mindset for a dungeon crawl and the kids were playing it too much like Marvel Heroscape which it pales in comparison to. It didn't help that we were trying the intro scenario that is not explained well in the rules at all. In fact, a lot of the flow of the game is challenging to decipher from the rules.

I really want to like this game so I've been begging the boys to give it one more try. Hopefully I can use Boardgamesgeek.com to help me get more comfortable with the rules and then translate it all enough for the boys to enjoy the experience. Wish me luck.
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:32 PM

Had fun today playing Conan. This is the brand new tactical minis game, not the Age of Conan strategy design expansion). Our four heroes killed the evil sorcerer--and the giant snake too, which was not a mission goal. Although we did not rescue the sleeping princess, or get the evil mage's head off the board, it felt like a win to us!

A revised rule book will be out at the end of the month. Later much more stuff will become available. This game has some interesting mechanics and beautiful graphics and miniatures.

There is an ingenious system for running the evil side against the hero party. This game should have long legs once they clean up the rules and get more scenarios out, plus rules for lots of things included with the box.
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Who makes that chas? What are the minis like?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old November 7th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Its by Monolith. The Kickstarter copies are just being delivered. If you pledged the lower level you got a ton of minis; if the higher you got two tons. All come in gray plastic and are varied and very well sculpted.

You get a nice variety of heroes, villains, human minions, animals, and creatures from the Conan mythos; some in multiples. They use colored rings like those in Blood Rage to identify evil activated groups, and crystals like in Cry Havoc as activation points for character attributes.

Check out boardgamegeek for many photos...
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:45 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I almost backed that one...it looked really great.
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:09 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Had a big weekend of gaming. Got lots of stuff played. During my game group's Friday gaming, got in the following:

Codenames x2
Isle of Skye x1
Gravwell x1
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong x1
One Night Ultimate Werewolf x5

Codenames is always a good time. Always can be a frustrating time too. Pipe over Chest for a clue of Canister? C'mon team...we subsequently lost. Ah well.

I'm loving Isle of Skye more as I play more. This was the most fun round I have ever had yet, and also by far the most competitive. The ending scores were 76-76-75. Still, this is a great game that I want to play more and more. The variability with the scoring tiles makes for incredibly great replayability, and there is a ton of strategy in setting and purchasing and placing tiles. If you get a chance to play, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Someone wanted to play Gravwell in our group and I decided to give it a go. I didn't really like it. Just felt way too random to me, and the rubber banding felt like no matter how well I played early, everyone would inevitably mostly move together and then someone would luckily have and play the correct card at the right time to cross the finish line. I will probably never be playing this one again.

Deception Murder in Honk Kong is a fun twist between The Resistance and Mysterium. Played a handful of times now and quite enjoying it.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is really good. I tend to find The Resistance is still the best social deduction game and my favorite, but ONUW is getting really close to that territory. Both are different enough that they each have their place in my collection though and I love playing both. Given how I'm pretty much still on HSers for this board game thread and the Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa games, it probably is no surprise that I enjoy social deduction type games, and ONUW in particular as it gives that similar feel for 3-10 players without needing a moderator or anything. Only had this a few months but really like it.

Throughout the rest of the weekend we got in quite a few other games:

Patchwork x1
Love Letter x1
Exploding Kittens x3
Mysterium x1
Saloon Tycoon x1
Escape: The Curse of the Temple x3
Coup x3
Pandemic Legacy x5

Bit lighter fare for the most part than I prefer, but at least stuff like Exploding Kittens and Escape are fast. EK has really fun artwork that helps make things more enjoyable and the frenetic pace of Escape is fun. Coup and Love Letter are great fillers and play fast. Been playing Patchwork with Cory more and more, and we both like it. He's tended to dominate me. I focus too much on button income I think, while he focuses on filling his board. At the end of this game he only had five open spaces and just passed for the last several turns which let him collect a bunch of income while I was scrambling to fill my board with expensive or small tiles, as he had already got all the large cheap ones. Lesson learned for the future.

Saloon Tycoon continues to be better than I initially expected, although I tend to be wary of most kickstarter games. Still, glad Cory backed this one as it is a pretty fun time. My main complaint was the analysis paralysis of the players I was playing with. This should not be a 90 minute game with upwards of 5-6 minute downtime between my turns.

Continued our Pandemic Legacy campaign, which we are doing very well in. This is my second game, so that is part of why we are doing better, although I also suspect this time Cory and I are playing with better strategists so as a group we're doing better. Managed to only take one more loss, which meant we're still winning quite a few months with zero funding. Lots of exciting twists and turns happened which I won't say anything more on to avoid spoiling anything. Suffice to say, this is an incredible game and I'm happy to be playing a 2nd campaign of it. I try to be stingy with giving games a 10 on BGG, but Pandemic Legacy continues to be one of the few that I feel deserve it. I just always want to play and probably will always say yes if someone wants me to.

Overall a fantastic weekend of gaming. My one regret was that I thought I could get Caverna to the table at some point, but we ran out of time. Hopefully next time.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games