Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 27th, 2016, 12:43 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Well met!

From Taeblewalker's email:

For my October game, I'm going to use [Sherman's] team rules and have a showdown between Spidey and his amazing friends vs. the Sinister Six!

The teams are as follows:

[It has been determined that these will now be all C3G. I added the point costs.]

Good Guys:
250 Spider-man
150 Iceman
120 Firestar
240 Captain America
325 The Thing

Bad Guys:
135 Electro
190 Hydro-man
200 Kraven
115 Mysterio
35 Mysterio Holographs
210 Sandman [No Sand on the Map!?]
200 Scorpion

It will be a kill'em all scenario.

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:37 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Here are the Cards for this game.

Spidey's Team

The Sinister Six

[Spidey's Team is more Captain America's Team, but OK . . . ]

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Spidey's Team seems awfully tough to me, especially as augmented by Avengers Assemble! The Sinister Six will have to be the ones to work as a team to have any kind of chance.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:54 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

K.,

TW is recreating an old favorite TV cartoon show of his which was called "Spiderman & Friends." That's why its 'Spidey's Team.' I only saw it once or twice myself. I'm assuming most or all of these particular characters appeared in it.

Last edited by chas; October 7th, 2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old October 7th, 2016, 09:53 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Taeblewalker SuperScape

We had a fun time on the great map. Kolakoski proved right in his prediction that the Good Guys had the edge. I enjoyed the C3G Cap and Spidey which I'd never put on the table before that I can recall.

K. and I played the Evil Team. Most of us took the high ground atop the dam early, although Hydro Man stayed below in the water to fight! Only at the end of the game did the good guys get up to the height. Spidey and Thing only came in late.

Altthough ShermanDavies was not present, his rules for sharing all the cards on one side with both players' sets of Order Markers continued to provide a very entertaining game (no more than three Oms per card until the side is reduced to three cards).

Edit:
An ad for TWs TV show Spiderman and His Amazing Friends is featured on the comic cover shown in SD's recent customs thread post! Maybe a follow up game could include Red Ghost and his Super Apes, which are shown on the same cover.

The Good Guys eventually triumped at the end. We killed Good Guy figures relatively early on, and had them worried, though!

We only played the game once, so we could get in a game of Cry Havoc, which I just obtained, and enjoyed our first Three Player version. We got in a second Three Player that evening after K. had to leave for the Baseball Wild Card Game, which the Mets lost, and we brought in another player. Hopefully next week we'll manage a CH Four Player for the first time. This and Star Trek Ascendancy are the two games I've gotten from GenCon; I'm happy with each (see Other Board Games for further discussion).

Last edited by chas; October 10th, 2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:44 AM

PRE HALLOWEEN MONSTER MASH OUT ON LONG ISLAND!

Three of us (without Kolakoski) went out to Scape with Warbanner yesterday out near Hicksville (ironically the largest town on LI outside of NYCs Brooklyn and Queens; actually named for a guy named Hicks). Because about half the monthly membership has now formed a new and seperate nonScape gaming group out there, there are only a few Scapers left in the old group. We've met twice in our diminished size so far. This time it was with 600 Points of "Monsters" for Halloween month. TW brought a pal from upstate, so we had a big five player free for all game. I brought vampires:

Chas Army

Cyprien Eisenwein 150
Sonia Eisenwein 45
Iskra Eisenwein 50
Rechts of Bogdan 50
Marcu Eisenwein 20
Nicholas Eisenwein 140 (C3V)
Preyblood Thralls x4 120 (C3V)

Taeblewalker Army

Werewolf Lord
Khosumet
Many (?)Squads of Anubian Wolves

TW Pal Army (made by TW)

Cyprien E.
Sonia E.
Nicholas E.
? Preyblood and Deathstrike Thralls

Sherman Davies Army

Morgoloth
(?) Squads of Wolves of Badru
Minions of Utgar

Warbanner Army
Venoc Warlord
Sujoah
Venoc Vipers x3
Fylorlag Spiders x2
Onyx Vipers (3)

This was a wild and weird game where the balance of power kept shifting. And our temporary "alliances" shifted with it, with a few of us going after the leader with the most figures left. If ought everyone except Warbanner eventually, who was far away on the opposite end of the battlefield. This was a map which Warbanner varied by changing the small amount of water for lava, and adding start zones and a bit more terrainon the outside edges.

TW's Pal didn't get into it for a bit, but his Thralls were in the game, where mine and my Rechts were destroyed with little game effect. Since my army was not built to handle squads well, and SD was right next to me, I took a defensive position with my advance figures up on a hill, giving up my first turn attacks which would have put me down below. But with great die rolling by SD, my height advantage was nullified and my Rechts wiped out. However, later on I killed some if his figures coming at me from below, and when Morgoloth came up, Cyprien took him out in one roll of a D20 of 20 with Chilling Touch! After that my Cyprien went down into his level start zone, but was ripped apart by wolves after failed attacks of both types! Yikes! SD even had some wolves busy pouncing away in my own start zone, taking out some of my Thralls, although I did get to replace one when Nicholas E. struck out at his attackers from above on the hill. With two players named Nick and two Nicholas figures in the game, the "Nick" jokes were flying thick and fast.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the board, TW and WB were savaging each others with both squads and heroes. Sujoah took out the Werewolf Lord, but only after the Lord's power had the big bug attacking Mittens in his start zone. Viper fought Anubian. At one point Wolves of Badru fought Anubian Wolves (Owooo!)

I put my Sonia and Nick up on a tiny hill with one only wound each left, but a Minion took out my Nick. Then things got more tangled up. I hurled my Marcu after the other 'alternate" Sonia and took her out, as Pal's attention was on fighting WB, who was eliminated from the game, as was TW, when the other Cyprien took out Khosumet in his start zone. SD and I took out Pal. Then I had Iskra up on top of a one hex column surrounded by lava. Wanting to end things in a literal blaze of glory rahter than fight a few more rounds with three players out of the game, SD brought up his last Minion adjacent to me before I could get to him, and lost it to the Lava, giving me the game. Lots of fun, and a rare game where two different armies fielded some of the same figures--which rarely happens with us in our monthly games at my place, as we have so many figures to choose from, whether Classic/Customs or Supers!

Afterwards we played with the store's game library. First the new Legendary Alien game, a Coop that we won together against the plot of the first movie. Thanks to Warbanner for setting it up while we finished up his main scenario without him.

WBN had to leave, so after that was a break for Chinese take out. Then the four remaining played a game of Smallworld Underground. Afterward I favored the main game with the "Realms" expansion, but the others preferred this one with its various magical items and locations.

Finally, as the LIRR seemed to be experienced a power failure, SD rode me back to his house in South Brooklyn, and I subwayed home from there. Thans to SD for that extra ride back to his place! I saw it for the first time, and was sorry there wasn't time to look over his amazing collection of all kinds of stuff!

(Note; TW took some photos of exciting moments, and if we're lucky some will appear here).

Our next NYCG4 game here in Brooklyn in mid November will be a Supers game by SD with his figures.

Last edited by chas; October 16th, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old October 16th, 2016, 01:29 PM

WarBanner is surprisingly tart

I had 3 squads of Vipers, and 2 squads of Fyorlag spiders to accompany Sujoah. The werewolf lord was probably my only good kill of the game. What I get for taking a d20 army. Glad we got to play, and I might have to add a Legendary deck-builder to my library, even though I didn't much care for Legendary Marvel.

Oh, and I have pictures. I'll upload them later.

Krug rhymes with "hug", not "dude"
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:56 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Great write up @chas . In the Army we used to call our maneuver summaries, After Action Reports or AAR's. You definitely captured the excitement of a multiplayer game with it's shifting alliances. OBTW: I did the math and with 600 point armies, TW probably had 5x squads of Annubian Wolves ( 15x figures at 375 + 140 for WW Lord + 75 for Khosumet = 590; thus leaving enough room for an Isamu or Otonashi ).

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:44 PM

John,

Yes, we use the terminology of AAR in wargaming, and especially when I went on JodieCon weekends in Monmouth NJ at the US Army West Point Prep School Campus and other locations such as the army base at Fortress Monroe, VA. These were hosted by Captain (later Major) Pete Panzeri, a figure well known in miniatures wargaming.

Those weekends included focus on one battle for four days, such as Sucessors of Alexander, Borodino, Waterloo, Gettysburg (twice), Arnheim, and etc. using armies of hand painted miniatures. For Borodino I grew side whiskers for my role as General Prince Mikhail Ilarionovich Kutuzov, the Russian Napoleonic Side Commander. I had to watch the gaming tables from behind at my HQ station with binoculars, and send orders through the message system which took time to arrive, if they did at all!

I also ran the pre-event newsletter and an online discussion group for our side where we discussed strategy. The game was run with umpires and about 15 people per side in a ballroom. Lots of fun!

Last edited by chas; October 18th, 2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:29 PM

Hey Chas, can I call you General Il'o'vich for short/ (~~lol~~)

I wish I had known about that group a dozen+ years ago when I was just beginning to get into gaming and war gaming as a hobby. I am very familiar with the West Point Prep School Campus at Fort Monmouth, NJ, since I worked on the base for several Defense Contractors from 1987 - 2011. The entire complex is now vacant and abandoned (supposedly "For Sale"), and is very sad to see.

I got to play 5x games of HeroScape last Saturday at a church in Monmouth County about 5 miles from the old USAMAPS campus mentioned above. The Board Game Geek Guild, NJ's "Exit 105 Gamers" gets together there every Tuesday evening for Euro's, and hold an all day event twice a year. I've been trying to get some HS'ers to show up in order to keep the game alive locally and scratch my itch without driving to Liny. Details are on the M.A.R.S. thread.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 18th, 2016, 07:23 AM

The New York City Gang of Four welcomes itinerant guest players to our monthly games with some advanced notice so the scenario can be adjusted for them. Although we play at my place in Brooklyn Heights, each month we rotate Game Mastering among the members. GMs are welcome to set up a simple Classic Scape game or an esoteric scenario, with any combination of Classic, C3V and other customs, C3G and other Supers, or combinations of any of these plus cards by independent designers if they seem reasonably balanced. Some of our scenarios are posted up here or elsewhere on the site.

If you are or will be in the area and wish to attend one of our games, just PM any of us. Players named John receive priority invitations, and can sleep over on the couch. Players named John can stay over to try out their weird variation ideas that no one else will try with them, and other board games, over multiple days. Players named John will have to travel 40 minutes less to get here than further out on Long Island where they have appeared previously; therefore their whining about having to drive far should be cut proportionately during any such future occasions.

Note: "Players named John" does not refer specifically to any one individual. Any resemblance between "players named John" and any real individuals living or dead are purely coincidental. Players not named John already known to us may also claim similar benefits. This offer is void where prohibited by law.

Last edited by chas; October 18th, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:57 PM

(~~~lol~~~)

Old November 1st, 2016, 04:29 AM

Our next game on November 16 will feature ShermanDavis SuperScape fron his own Shermanverse of Custom cards, famous on this site's "Marvelscape" section for the rugged simplicity of his own Marvel, DC, and Independent designs. It will be themed around the movie versiom of the Avengers, and include his new Quinjet toy, which can be seen on his customs thread in photos. He first ran this game out in Suffolk County, Long Island for the Islandscape gang out there.

Although not one to toot his own horn, Sherm serves on the Inner Sanctum of the C3V, and also has a popular line of his Lord of the Rings customs on its own thread. Sherm also does requests, usually for the more obscure comic book characters, on his Marvel and DC supers custom threads, where he's done some for me such as Validus (DC) and Sabra (Marvel).

As we head into the holidays (a belated Happy Halloween, everyone) I look forward to board game gatherings here at the Game Palace to play my own new purchases such as Mare Nostrum Empires, Quartermaster General: Alternate Histories, Star Trek Ascendancy, and Cry Havoc. A new pal offers things I don't own such as Scythe, The Others:Seven Sins, Game of Thrones:The Iron Throne and Conan.

If you are in the NYC area for the season, come play with us!

My old Canadian buddy will be visiting around Christmas, and we'll be gaming our brains out with these and other games like Firefly, Bood Rage, The Great War, Commands and Colors Napoleonics, and many more! Looking forward to it.

Last edited by chas; November 3rd, 2016 at 08:57 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion