Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 11th, 2016, 04:50 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

My own alternate Lava Rules are posted in the Customs section (Other Customizations and HS Additions); they give a whole spectrum of possible results. I've used them mostly with Super Scape.
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Had a fun 5 player game of Scythe last night. I brought my 2 1/2 ft by 6ft folding table with my 2 pieces of 4ft by 3ft plywood tabletop pieces that I lock together with eyehooks, and cover with a flannel sheet. So we were able to play on the back side of the board with the huge hexes and add the board extension.

It was a blast. I played the Nordic faction and ended the game when I took a move top action to move 2 mechs and my character across a lake into the factory where there was 1 lone Saxony mech. My artillery reduced his power by 2 and I kicked his butt out of there to get my 5th star, but also control the factory which is considered 3 territories at the end of the game. Then for my bottom row action in that section, I paid 2 oil to place my last upgrade cube and get a coin, then placed my 6th star.

I ended up winning 61, 60, 47, 32, 17. I barely beat Polonia, who had 60, and when I kicked Saxony off the factory, that was a huge swing in points for them, though they only had 4 stars out. Good fun.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

"Don't let the Commies in here--they'll see the Big Board!"
--General Buck Turgidson, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Actually learning the rules obviously helped! Thanks for reminding me of a few. A 'Coup Move' like that is what I used to win my one victory in Mare Nostrum Empires so far.

My first multiplayer Scythe game should be tonight...
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:03 PM

Cyber Controler knows what's in an order marker Cyber Controler knows what's in an order marker

got to play Scythe with a friend who owns it. got to say wish I would have kickstarted it
Old July 13th, 2016, 10:14 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Recently got back into playing X-wing. It had been a while, but I reconnected with a local player and we've been trying to jumpstart some regular, local play. We're a few weeks in now and I'm really enjoying getting to play this game again. It hits many of the same elements that drew me into Scape and I feel like the designers have done a similarly good job of maintaining balance while releasing waves that both boost some of the weaker ships and introduce brand new tactics and options.

Another game I've been playing a lot of is Onitama. I got a quick demo of the game at Origins and on the drive home when we were talking about our favorite games at the show, my daughter and I both named Onitama as one that we really liked. It's an abstract strategy game played with five units per side (4 students and 1 master) on a 5x5 grid. Each player has two movement cards which show a possible movement for any of your five pieces. There is a fifth movement card off to the side, in between players. When you take your turn, you chose one of your two movement options, make the movement with one of your units, and then swap that movement card out with the one in the middle. So the five movements cycle between both players over the course of the game. Attacking happens just like in chess where you take a unit if you land on its space, and you win the game by either taking the master or getting your master into your opponent's master's starting space. It gives me all the things I like about chess without the things I don't care for. I can sit down and play multiple games in a sitting because each match is only about 10 minutes long, but there is still some depth of strategy and planning. We've had lots of fun with it.

We've also been playing a lot of the new Ghostbusters Protect the Barrier Game. This is a re-themed release of the 2014 Kinderspiel winner, "Geister, Geister, Schatzsuchmeister!" or Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters, which is also being released for first time in the U.S. Anyway, this is essentially a Pandemic style cooperative game, but instead of fighting off diseases you're trying to keep ghosts from overrunning a building while getting eight devices that are spread all over the building out the building to win. It's themed after the new Ghostbusters reboot, which my girls like, and it's been a lot of fun to play as a family. There are four difficulties and it's very tough when played at the advanced levels.
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post

Another game I've been playing a lot of is Onitama. I got a quick demo of the game at Origins and on the drive home when we were talking about our favorite games at the show, my daughter and I both named Onitama as one that we really liked. It's an abstract strategy game played with five units per side (4 students and 1 master) on a 5x5 grid. Each player has two movement cards which show a possible movement for any of your five pieces. There is a fifth movement card off to the side, in between players. When you take your turn, you chose one of your two movement options, make the movement with one of your units, and then swap that movement card out with the one in the middle. So the five movements cycle between both players over the course of the game. Attacking happens just like in chess where you take a unit if you land on its space, and you win the game by either taking the master or getting your master into your opponent's master's starting space. It gives me all the things I like about chess without the things I don't care for. I can sit down and play multiple games in a sitting because each match is only about 10 minutes long, but there is still some depth of strategy and planning. We've had lots of fun with it.
I got to try Onitama once and really liked it. Clever little game.

Tonight I finished a game of Scythe with my daughters that we started on Sunday. I was pleasantly surprised that both my girls said they loved it and want to play again tomorrow night. Totally awesome news for me

Last edited by Hahma; July 14th, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:06 AM
Prickly Cactus

Not only did my girls and I play another game of Scythe tonight, but we played 2 more games of it tonight. Morgan has mine and Paige's butts with Polonia. We've all played the same faction board and player board each game, so Morgan has gotten extremely efficient with her combo. And she's won using different means.

After her winning all three games, I told her that she has to change her player board and try to figure out how Polonia works with that. Give Paige and I at least a fighting chance.

The amazing thing is, that Paige is the one that would shy away from longer games. She would play Coloretto, Between Two Cities, Love Letter, Tsuro and stuff like that, but after the first game of Scythe, she was like really wanting to play it again. So we played it tonight, and immediately afterward, she wanted to play again. The original selling point in even getting them to try the game was the female characters and their animal companions. So that got their foot in the door so to speak, but then they really liked it and what a thrill that was for me, who figured they may get through one game and then be done with it.

Definitely a great evening for me with the girls, as before even playing Scythe, we had played volleyball in the backyard for an hour (ritual over the past couple weeks), we cooked dinner (my wife went out for her usual Thursday night volunteer work at a horse stable), we watched the rest of American Ninja Warrior that was recorded and then Scythe.

Now that my twin girls are 13, I am taking advantage of every second they want to spend with their ol' man. You can't buy time, nor get it back, so hanging out with my girls takes priority over everything.

Old July 15th, 2016, 12:51 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Hahma , your game nights sound great. I'm hoping when my little girl gets older she'll want to throw dice and play games with me as well. She's almost five, but I already made a dice tower for her that she got to paint and then bedazzle with her mom. Thanks for sharing. The scythe game looks awesome.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 15th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@Hahma , your game nights sound great. I'm hoping when my little girl gets older she'll want to throw dice and play games with me as well. She's almost five, but I already made a dice tower for her that she got to paint and then bedazzle with her mom. Thanks for sharing. The scythe game looks awesome.
Thanks TREX!

While I love gaming with my game group on Monday nights and our monthly all day Saturdays, I love gaming with my daughters much more. My wife doesn't game, so it's only been the girls and I for gaming. They've gone through different phases of wanting to and not wanting to game, or wanting to only play short games. So when they say they are wanting to play something like Scythe, it really makes me happy. Though, I need to somehow get Paige to get better at it and listen to some suggestions, as I don't want her getting disappointed in losing, especially if Morgan is winning. Though, Paige did go through a streak of winning a lot of games of Between Two Cities, Coloretto and Love Letter, so Morgan had to deal with losing a lot then too. Of course, I get a mix of wins and loses here and there too.

That dice tower sounds awesome! I'm sure you and your daughter will have a blast gaming. There are some junior versions of board games out there, as I have a buddy with a 5 and 3 year old sons that he games with.

Old July 15th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Will be playing my second game of Twilight Struggle today, this time as US. My pal has also suggested Churchill, a 3 PL about the WWII Big Three allianace, which looks quite interesting. I don't think I've played a political game since the old Avalon Hill Origins of World War II.

Played two more solitaires of The Great War Tank Expansion, finally with my very own actual tanks instead of the cardboard proxies I've been using. Both were upsets, with the most likely winner losing! Although some think the tanks are too strong, I've become known on the site for disagreeing, and being a tank buster, and these games were no exception! Of course, all you can do is set up the best attacks you can, and pray to the Dice Gods! But there are a few tricks to doing that. (If I told you, I'd have to kill you). But I am working on a WWI Tank/AntiTank Doctrine, which I'll probably put on bgg after I play the last 5 scenarios I haven't done yet!

Gearing up for MTGAOTP Shadows Over Innistrad, actually the three sets out so far combined. LeftOn4Ya posted a link to the site planeswalker-arena.boards.net which lists all possible 500 Point armies including Innistrad. This should speed up initial army builds. Its on the AOTP submenu thread about the upcoming GenCon. I can't seem to get the link to appear here; its:

All possible army combinations (500 points) @Kajoq
Old July 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Here ya go @chas :

http://planeswalker-arena.boards.net...ons-500-points

It's a nice resource for sure. I'm definitely enjoying 600 point games a lot more than 500 for AOTP, but I did play a few 500 point 'out-of-the-box' matches with the Innistrad stuff before delving into 600s.
Old July 15th, 2016, 08:49 PM

Cyber Controler knows what's in an order marker Cyber Controler knows what's in an order marker

Just starting a five player game of scythe. Here's hoping I do better this time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games