Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 17th, 2016, 10:55 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've played a pal's copy of Star Wars Rebellion as the Empire, and am going over to his house again today to play as the Rebels. Its a very interesting and well designed game. The question is, will it take repeated play? Probably yes.

The take out place near him also does a mean variation on two old fashioned Brooklyn heroes: a meatball and sausage combo. Yummy!
Old May 17th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Played Sergeants Miniatures Game over the weekend.

Last night I taught The Great War to 3 people. I didn't play because others were interested and I wanted then to have a chance, and then there would be more people to play against at a later date. 20 year old Nathan played twice vs different opponents, both in their 40s and he won both times playing as both the Germans and British. All 3 players are big WWI fans and Nathan is a history major and looking to be a history professor. He's a smart kid.

So after getting the guys started with The Great War, I played Eminent Domain: Battle Cruisers, Citadels and Alan's Adventureland.
@chas , I also got my Tanks expansion from my buddy Brian. Tanks look awesome and there are some new water tiles and a cool artillery template, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Didn't have much time to look at it. Also got the 3 Whippets tanks, an extra male and female MkIV as well as 1 of each of those as captured versions.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; May 17th, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:03 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Is this what a female tank looks like?
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:04 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I just finished getting the last of the major boxes of all the zombicide games in the mail. Played a round of zombicide black plague last night with the wulfsburg expansion. I'll hopefully be getting to play test for hoss tonight. @Porkins , I can see one man on there, but otherwise, I would also see it being a female tank.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:49 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Yeah, that guy loves his job.
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Is this what a female tank looks like?
Female MkIV

Male MkIV

Old May 17th, 2016, 10:23 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Congratulations! If you check out the Tank Expansion discussion board on bgg, you'll see my FAQ, and my adventures in playing the tanks retrofitted to the Vimy Ridge core game scenarios.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 09:08 AM
Prickly Cactus

@chas , I got to check out some of your stuff on BGG regarding Tanks. Good stuff. The one thing that wasn't stated specifically, but alluded to by saying that they follow normal Battle rules, is that they get a deadly die in close combat, as that's what all units get in the base game. Would have been nice if they had included that in the Tanks rules. While redundant, it would certainly help make things extra clear.

Yesterday my group had our 5th Anniversary celebration with a monthly all day event back at the indoor soccer facility where we had started getting together (now we meet at a church not far from the soccer facility).

I got to play Battle Cry for the first time, and it was extra neat because this guy Pat, who is a wargamer and I haven't seen for a few months, converted the C&C Battle Cry 150th Anniversary Edition to 15mm minis with 3D terrain. He ordered a hex filled mat from a place in Canada and it is the same as a C&C Battle Cry and I believe also Napoleonics board, except larger hexes to accommodate minis on stands and terrain pieces. He is a big minis wargamer, as well as hex and chit wargamer, and I've played his Napoleonic minis game on his big table in his basement, as well as his WWII Chain of Command minis game too, and that was cool. So getting to play Battle Cry with painted metal minis and 3D terrain was yet another treat for me. We played the Battle of Antietam scenario, with me being the Union and Pat being the Confederates. I won 6 to 3.

I also ran a game of Sergeants Miniatures Game, where I had 20 year-old Nathan play against his dad Jason. Nathan has played a few times before and kicked my butt last time we played. He kicked his dad's butt yesterday. Dad was too aggressive and paid for it. Lots of nuances in this game that you need to be mindful of and you can't just run in and throw caution to the wind. At first he was only able to pin several of Nathan's soldiers, who were in a better defensible position. Then Nathan killed some of his dad's soldiers and dad wasn't too thrilled. Dad was thrilled to finally get a kill against Nathan and gave a huge cheer of accomplishment. He took out another one but at the end of the battle, Nathan had more difficult orders that gave him more victory points if he succeeded, which he did. Jason's orders were just to patrol and get at least one soldier off the board in the opposite corner he entered from. They had fun though.

I also played Dark Moon, which is a shorter version of Battlestar Galactica. I have played it once before and enjoyed it, and had fun again yesterday. We had a 6 player game, where 4 of us were humans and 2 were infected. Of course, all of that is secret and we had to deduce who was who and vote to quarantine suspects etc. Meanwhile we had a lot of tasks to complete that were good if we were successful and bad if we failed. We also had to try to repair various things that would get damaged throughout the game. We had managed to quarantine one person, Amanda, which severely limits their actions, but we weren't sure about the other infected. Things were going well for us humans, but then Becky revealed as being infected and since she wasn't quarantined, she was able to mess us up a lot. We were very close to winning, but at the end, we lost because of Becky's timely reveal and damaging actions against us. Fun game!

About 14 of us also played life-sized PitchCar. PitchCar is a dexterity racing game where you set up a crazy track with curves and jumps and no side rails in some places. Players each get a colored wooden disc that is their car and flick it forward on their turn. After everyone goes, then the player order is redetermined by whoever is in front of the other. But if you go off the track, you go back to your previous spot. If you hit another player's disc, they can choose to stay where they are, or go back to where they were before being hit. It can be pretty challenging, especially with ramps and crazy curves. So while that version was played earlier as well, my buddy Scott, who is the manager of the indoor soccer facility set up an obstacle course on one of the soccer fields. The course had cones for boundaries, and had lots of obstacles. Obstacles included a ramp, 4 folding chairs a few feet apart from each other that were angled in such a manner that you could only go under one at a time, a pair of smaller nets you had to kick the ball over, a ball on top of a cone you had to knock off, get into the half circle in front of one of the nets, then go through a tunnel and then back across the starting line. We used soccer balls, that fortunately were all uniquely colored to keep track. Same rules as regular PitchCar applied, so if you went out of bounds, you go back to where you were. The ramp and the chairs were bottlenecks, as they were difficult to navigate. Lots of fun. I came in 4th.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:21 AM

Hahma,

Certainly looks like a memorable game day!

In fact, I'm playing right now that The Great War tanks don't get the Deadly Die when adjacent, but I've asked about this on bgg as you may have seen, so thanks for your response here (they do get four dice at close range, more than anyone else). Our bgg discussions on Tank rules have just started, but I did what I could to get it going, such as posting early FAQ, abbreviated session reports, and etc.

Griznakh has run some BattleCry150 games out in Suffolk County Long Island using minis and 3D terrain; I always participate when I can. I've got about 100 fan scenarios for that game and have solitaired through them all, as they cover almost the entire American Civil War.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:00 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Certainly looks like a memorable game day!

In fact, I'm playing right now that The Great War tanks don't get the Deadly Die when adjacent, but I've asked about this on bgg as you may have seen, so thanks for your response here (they do get four dice at close range, more than anyone else). Our bgg discussions on Tank rules have just started, but I did what I could to get it going, such as posting early FAQ, abbreviated session reports, and etc.

Griznakh has run some BattleCry150 games out in Suffolk County Long Island using minis and 3D terrain; I always participate when I can. I've got about 100 fan scenarios for that game and have solitaired through them all, as they cover almost the entire American Civil War.

What about on board artillery? I don't have the rules with me, as they are still in my car from yesterday (didn't get to play TGW though). Does it specify in the Tanks rules that on board artillery get deadly die in close combat? If not, then perhaps it's "presumed" like with tanks, based on the general rule in the base game for units in close combat getting the deadly die.

That's cool about Griznakh using minis and 3D terrain for Battle Cry. Playing it like that yesterday brought me back to my teenage years when I got to play 15mm ACW minis games at my grandparent's neighbor's house. He had a 6x8 foot table setup in his basement with green felt and able to put all kinds of terrain configurations on it. He had thousands of painted 15mm ACW figures and we and some of his friends would play some massive battles, using Rally Round the Flag rules (I believe). We also played some ancients battles and some British and Zulus. This was back in the late 70's and early 80's. Hal Thinglum was his name and he wrote a monthly wargaming newsletter. This is back in the day before internet and blogs and such. Great times!

Haven't seen Hal in probably 30 years, but I guess he's still been busy with his Midwest Wargamer's Association Newsletters

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...Hal%20Thinglum

https://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProd...4_A_GenreID_E_

https://cbwargamer.wordpress.com/201...um-is-in-town/

I guess he's become quite the wargaming legend over the past 30 years. He was in his 30's I'm guessing back when I knew him in the 80's, but has become quite the legend. Way to go Hal

Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:36 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Got in my first play of Star Wars: Imperial Assault as the Imperial side of things, after a buddy of mine used a gift certificate to buy the game yesterday. I really enjoyed managing threat and knowing all the secret info and watching them fail miserably. Fun game. I'm looking to playing more of it in campaign mode.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM

Hahma,

"All old people know each other."
--The White Lotus Society, Avatar the Animated Series

Hal Thinglum's bucolically named Midwest Association Wargamer's Newsletter (MWAN) was in fact one of the major miniatures gaming publications of its day. He finally sold it and later it went out of circulation.

For some years toward the end of its run under his editorship, you could find a regular column there called "Those Fightin' Fifty-Fours," which helped revive the popularity of the 54mm (2 1/2") Big Scale of toy soldiers being used in actual wargames, rather than just skirmish actions. And if you find a copy of one of those issues, you'll know my real name, because its the author's byline!

My fansite copy of the tank rules says Field Artillery gets the Deadly Die at a 2 or 3 range with Line of Sight, but doesn't mention the close combat die either.

Last edited by chas; May 22nd, 2016 at 03:21 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games