Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old October 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
The Top 11 Most Frequently Overlooked (yet [ab]used) Rules

NHSD is just two days away, and there are a number of simple rules that aren't that obvious upon the first reading of the rulebook, but are essential to almost any player, and likely will come up in a tournament at least once. Most of them have to do with movement, which is something that you do every turn.

Most of this is coming from off the top of my head, so if you need any clarification or see a mistake, I'll find the relevant portion in the appropriate rulebook.

In general, if you don't know the answer to a question, most general questions will be answered by the rulebooks.

Always read the cards closely.

If you still don't know, check out Hasbro's advanced FAQ.

11. Roll all of your dice. You can't 'forget' to roll defense dice for your Krug, or 'forget' your height advantage with Rechets or Deathstalkers. (Mathematically speaking, I can think of very few situations where you'd want to do that anyway, but that's a whole different matter entirely).

The other half of this is that you always get to roll when a roll should happen. Even if your opponent doesn't roll any skulls, your Samurai or Gurei-oni are still allowed to roll defense dice to try to hit them back (in fact, it's the most likely time for these abilities to work)! Similarly, Deathreavers can still scatter when an opponent doesn't roll any skulls if they used a normal attack. (There are a few exceptions to this. Me-Burq-Sa can cause a figure to not roll any defense dice, and the Rechets can prevent defense rolls, even for Isamu).

As an aside, when you play with people from other groups, dice rolling etiquette is often the most common source of disputes and anxiety. Be polite and try to explain how different rolling gaffes will be handled before they occur.

10. Special attacks never receive any bonuses. Even Sujoah's Lethal Sting doesn't get the benefit of Lodin. A special ability is not a special attack unless it has the words "special attack" on the card.

For a complete list of special attacks, go here.

Figures defending against special attacks always receive any relevant bonuses. However, there are a large number of special powers that only work against normal attacks. This is the main thing that makes special attacks special.

9. Like special attacks, most movement abilities on the left side of the card are unaffected by Glyphs and Roads.

Gladiatron Movement bonding, Ninja Disappear, Jandar's dispatch, Scatter, etc... all have a specific number of spaces they can move (even if it's X).

The Kozuke Samurai ability, Soldier and Scout Leadership are exempt from this restrictrion, because they specifically add to that figure's base Move value. Essentially, any movement that is made on a figure's own turn can take the advantage of roads or glyphs, but 'free' moves do not get the bonus.

However, figures always get to use their own special powers that involve movement, even if moved by another figure. Sentinels of Jandar can fly when moved by Sir Gilbert, Agent Carr can still Ghost Walk and Disengage when moved with Agent Skahen's Cover Fire, and Deathreavers can always Disengage while scattering if they are allowed to move.

8. It costs 3 movement points to walk up the outside of a RttFF wall or a FotA battlement, and 2 to walk up it from the inside. Remember to add the movement for the space you land on, just as you would for any other kind of climbing.

Check out the rulebooks again if this is not clear. The simple way that I think about is that the battlements themselves have a height of 2, and that you add the 1 when you come in from the outside because you have to account for the base/the hex underneath said battlement or wall.

7. Subtract 1 from a figure's Height to figure out how high he can climb (or fall safely) at once. Note that Climb x2 and Climb x3 do not affect adjacency.

Adjacency is determined by that same Height-1 criteria. The main difference between adjacency and engagement is that you're never engaged to friendly figures. Adjacency is the only criteria for making an attack with Range 1. If one of your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, your figure may attack only those figures.

Clarification: Adjacency is mutual. If one figure is on the low end of the Wall piece, it has to have at least a height of 4 to be adjacent to something on the other side, while the figure on top must have at least a height of 3. The ruins from RotV have a Height of 6, so figures on both sides of a ruin need at least a height of 7 to engage/be adjacent to each other across it.

6. Engaged figures can still move. They can even move away from the figures with which they are engaged.

(Excepting of course figures affected by Gladiatron or Major X17's cyberclaw).

5. When determining Clear Sight to a figure, any part of their sculpt is a valid target, from the smallest wing feather to the largest sword. When you are attacking or using a special ability on a figure using clear sight, you are still targeting it with that ability. Figures cannot target themselves. Sonlen is the only exception to this rule that I know of.

When determining Line of Sight, primarily used for ranged attacks, all you need to be able to see is anything that is red on that figure's Army Card.

4. Figures are at the mercy of the terrain that they (or their leading end) are currently moving through or landing on. (Note that all terrain is the same from the side, unless of course it's a height 0 tile). Here's a short list.

A figure must end its movement when it steps on a glyph.

A small, medium, or large figure standing next to a jungle piece rolls 1 extra defense die against all non adjacent attacks.

A single spaced figure who steps onto water must end its movement immediately. A double spaced figure must end its movement if both spaces are in water.

You do not have to stop movement when moving into swamp water. The only differences between swamp water and regular terrain is that it has a height of 0 and Marro Warriors, Marro Drudge, and Microcorp Agents can use their bonuses on it. The Obsidian Guards also experience their weakness on Swamp Water.

Stepping onto Slippery Ice or Heavy Snow costs 2 movement points per space. Be sure to ask your TD whether either or both of these rules will be used on the maps at your event.

Stepping onto molten lava ends movement just like water and the figure dies unless it rolls a 20. Even double spaced figures who just step in for a second need to roll.

Lava field tiles take effect at the end of the round. Roll one attack die for every affected figure, and take one unblockable wound for a skull.

3. Leaving engagement attacks are optional. You don't have to roll against your opponent's Krug or your own Marcu Esenwein if you don't want to.

Secondly, leaving engagement attacks are not considered attacks. Until the SotM rulebook, they were called passing swipes. Passing swipe and leaving engagement attack are interchangeable terms, but they are never treated as attacks (e.g. Ornak's Orc Battle Cry Aura, Deadly Strike or Deadly Shot's additional hits, etc).

2. Figures with normal flying have to take any and all leaving engagement attacks as soon as they lift off, whether they engage the enemy figures upon landing or not. They are allowed to walk.

1. You cannot move through your own engaged figures, unless you have phantom/ghost walk or fly over them.

Well there you have it. I kind of feel like I cheated with number 4. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; March 9th, 2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: This one goes to eleven. Now with links.
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Re: The Top 10 Most Frequently Overlooked (yet [ab]used) Rul

Good reminder, Jexik!

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Great list, this should find it's way to a sticky for new players to check out some of the most basic and forgotten rules.

Not that you need to but if you ever think about expanding it how about:
You may still roll for counterstrike even if your opponent has rolled no skulls.

I know it took me a while to remember this one even though I played the Samurai a lot when I first started playing.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

Nice, Jexik!

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:56 AM

Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker

I don’t know if this rule ever comes up in tournaments or not.

When adding die for extreme height advantage the attacking/defending figure has to be 10 levels higher than the defending/attacking figure’s height to role 2 extra attack/deffense dice.

This rule makes one leveled castles less dangerous.

I didn't know about this rule for the longest time.
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:39 AM

Slade has disabled reputation

Jexik,

not only are you fun to play against, but you are a really smart fellow and gave me some great reminders for the upcoming event. Righteous!

"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:01 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

ok this is my first post (yay)

Where can i find all the rulings on different kinds of terrain? I had no idea how to count spaces for ice and snow. Are those all the ones that change move? (I know how water, swamp, and height work but thats it.)

Your #1 I didn't know. I can think of many places where i have moved through my own engaged guys. I'm assuming that phantom walk ignores that rule.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You've been Sigged!

Which means, by the way, that you are now linked to twice in my signature. Don't go getting a swell head or anything.
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:17 AM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Nice, thanks for the post!
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

It's a great list, Jexik. The only one I might add would be that you have to roll all of your allowed dice when attacking or defending.
<RR>
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

More than just a reminder for me.

I thought leaving engagement strikes were mandatory--I did not realize you had a choice at all!

Certainly helps dealing with Krug and makes Marcu an even better value.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
ok this is my first post (yay)

Where can i find all the rulings on different kinds of terrain? I had no idea how to count spaces for ice and snow. Are those all the ones that change move? (I know how water, swamp, and height work but thats it.)

Your #1 I didn't know. I can think of many places where i have moved through my own engaged guys. I'm assuming that phantom walk ignores that rule.
Welcome Green Lanturn--hope this helps:

The movement rules for each terrain type are in the instruction book that comes with that terrain type.

Lava rules are in the lava pack, swamp rules in Swarm of the Marro master set, road rules in The Road to the Forgotten Forest expansion pack, etc.

Ice and snow can count as 1 or 2 movement. It is set by the map maker/tournament director.

And yep, phantom walk ignores rule #1.

Last edited by DrLivingston; October 17th, 2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: I am so gosh darn helpful this morning...
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Excellent article and reminder! I would also add another difference between swamp water and normal terrain - the Obsidian Guards are negatively impacted by it due to their Weakness (not that anyone will play them....).

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; March 9th, 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I was just straight-up wrong - it happens

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's