Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:30 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Just_a_Bill's Customs — latest: Ru-Wa-Na (Marro behemoth)

2022/02/16: Added Ru-Wa-Na the Hivelord.

2021/09/17: Added Monag the female Orc.

2021/07/09: Added Sigmacron.

2015/06/28: Added Tikkerak.

2015/06/19: Added the Cybercops.

2015/04/28: Added Agent Borrciga.

2015/02/23: Started thread with Devoros the Shade King.

Devoros is inspired by a cool Mage Knight miniature (called Specter) that I found in the cheap bin at my local shop. The neat thing about this mini is that he is molded without any visible body parts ... the kneepads and such are connected to the cape in such a way that his face, legs, etc. are literally not present in the sculpt.

I rendered Devoros as a rectangular card, in a format that I've been working on lately (still a work in progress). These cards use the Flying icon developed for C3G to represent the FLYING special power.

ENHANCED SOUL DEVOUR
Before moving Devoros or a Shades of Bleakwoode squad you control, you may choose an adjacent Hero or Squad figure that is unique or common. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 18 or higher, destroy Devoros, then take control of the chosen figure and its Army Card. Remove any Order Markers on that Army Card. When taking control of a squad figure, you may take control of additional figure(s) for that Army Card up to a total of one full squad of figures.

WARRIOR-KING
When taking a turn with the Shades of Bleakwoode, you may either move Devoros once in lieu of moving a Shade, or attack with Devoros once in lieu of attacking with a Shade. You may do both if you control fewer than three Shades of Bleakwoode.

STEALTH FLYING
When Devoros starts to fly, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
I wanted to make a champion for the Shades, but finding a good skill set was tricky. Bonding seemed too good, since MOVE 7 with Stealth Flying is already very speedy; and I didn't want to add 1 to their Soul Devour roll and change the whole dynamic of how they play. So I'm experimenting with two ideas: (1) Soul Devouring a whole squad, and (2) having the champion move or attack as a proxy member of the squad, which is barely even a mini-bonding effect but can feel satisfying when you otherwise would only get to move/attack with 2 Shades (due to attrition, Cyberclaw, whatever). It also should be a good way to get the champion up the field in those initial turns where there isn't anyone to attack, without using up an entire OM just to move one guy.

The intent of the design of these special powers is that you might want OMs on Devoros and might want them on the Shades, depending upon the situation. I want those decisions to still be important.

The basic theme for Devoros is that he's sort of a sacrificial king who can drop into the midst of ranged trouble like Krav or Omnicrons or whatever. He ties them up so they can't shoot at Shades; he lasts longer than a Shade with his higher LIFE and DEFENSE; and he can keep trying to convert the ranged unit(s) while keeping them tied down, even if your OMs are on Shades instead of Devoros. (Thematically, he doesn't really even "sacrifice" himself — if successful — since his consciousness lives on inside the squad or hero he devours.)

His pricing is not based on any kind of rigorous analysis of his gameplay; I simply wanted to make a unit that could easily swap in for one squad of Shades in any existing build. Thus, as I tweak the design I will be more likely to want to fiddle with the stats and specials than change the cost.

All constructive comments are appreciated.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; February 16th, 2022 at 07:22 PM. Reason: adding Ru-Wa-Na the Hivelord
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:05 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs Thread - Devoros the Shade King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
ENHANCED SOUL DEVOUR
Before moving Devoros or a Shades of Bleakwoode squad you control, you may choose an adjacent Hero or Squad figure that is unique or common. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 18 or higher, destroy Devoros, then take control of the chosen figure and its Army Card. Remove any Order Markers on that Army Card. When taking control of a squad figure, you may take control of additional figure(s) for that Army Card up to a total of one full squad of figures.
If you're using this power on a Shade's turn, do you choose a figure adjacent to Deveros, or adjacent to the Shade? You might consider a clear sight limit for enslaving bonus squad members. 3 spaces feels like a good place to start to me.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:30 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

For the WARRIOR-KING power, would you consider using wording similar to C3V's Varkaanan WOLF PACK power? I think this could cut down on text for that ability and make it easier to word. (Easier to understand too. What does "in lieu" mean? I thought a "lieu" was a toilet.)

Quote:
WOLF PACK
After revealing an Order Marker on the Varkaanan Quickblades' card, before taking that turn with the Quickblades, you may choose one other Unique Wolf Army Card you control and take a turn with it. You may not attack with more figures from the chosen Army Card than the number of destroyed Varkaanan Quickblades on this card.
Overall, he looks really cool!

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:38 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Pressed for time today, but I'll make a couple of quick (unproofread) comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
If you're using this power on a Shade's turn, do you choose a figure adjacent to Deveros, or adjacent to the Shade?
Adjacent to Devoros, since this happens before any of the Shades begin to move. There is no "the Shade" to target (an individual Shade doesn't actually have its own turn). It occurs right along with the Shades' own Soul Devour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
You might consider a clear sight limit for enslaving bonus squad members. 3 spaces feels like a good place to start to me.
Yeah, that could work too. I was trying not to make it too complex. Since all Shades everywhere get to Soul Devour, and since when a squad moves you can choose squad figures from anywhere, I figured it wouldn't be all that odd to let Devoros pick the squaddies from anywhere. But if this is a concern in general, I wouldn't be opposed to the CS limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
For the WARRIOR-KING power, would you consider using wording similar to C3V's Varkaanan WOLF PACK power?
Hmm, I see what you're going for, but it seems like that approach would get messy with a common squad like the Shades, since the destroyed figures could be spread across various army cards. Also there's not as much point to a "counting" approach here since there can only be one Shade King. His participation either happens or doesn't.

I'm not opposed to the idea; I'm just having a hard time envisioning how it would actually save on word count. It works to count dead Wolves because they are unique; but if I could dead Shades then either I have to count all dead Shades vs. all Shades I started with...
After revealing an Order Marker on a Shades of Bleakwoode card, before taking that turn with the Shades, you may take a turn with Devoros. You may not take a turn with Devoros in this manner unless the number of destroyed Shades on all Shades of Bleakwoode cards is within two of the total number of Shades of Bleakwoode in your army.
... which is obviously kind of silly (and changes the gameplay) ... or I have to count the number of Shades you are about to take a turn with:
After revealing an Order Marker on a Shades of Bleakwoode card, before taking that turn with the Shades, you may take a turn with Devoros. You must subtract 1 from the number of Shades you take a turn with.
And of course all of this is giving Devoros a full turn, not just a move OR an attack; so it's different gameplay that takes away the incentive to put OMs on him.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you were thinking about, but I'm not really seeing the advantage of using this template.

Quote:
What does "in lieu" mean? I thought a "lieu" was a toilet.
That's a "loo." In lieu of basically means "instead of, and counting as."

Quote:
Overall, he looks really cool!
Thanks. I think it could be a pretty fun unit if balanced well. It moderately ramps up the Fear Factor that the Shades wield, and I'd love the chance to take over a whole squad of Krav.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for clearing up the "lieu" problem for me!

Quote:
Quote:
For the WARRIOR-KING power, would you consider using wording similar to C3V's Varkaanan WOLF PACK power?
Hmm, I see what you're going for, but it seems like that approach would get messy with a common squad like the Shades, since the destroyed figures could be spread across various army cards. Also there's not as much point to a "counting" approach here since there can only be one Shade King. His participation either happens or doesn't.

I'm not opposed to the idea; I'm just having a hard time envisioning how it would actually save on word count. It works to count dead Wolves because they are unique; but if I could dead Shades then either I have to count all dead Shades vs. all Shades I started with...
After revealing an Order Marker on a Shades of Bleakwoode card, before taking that turn with the Shades, you may take a turn with Devoros. You may not take a turn with Devoros in this manner unless the number of destroyed Shades on all Shades of Bleakwoode cards is within two of the total number of Shades of Bleakwoode in your army.
... which is obviously kind of silly (and changes the gameplay) ... or I have to count the number of Shades you are about to take a turn with:
After revealing an Order Marker on a Shades of Bleakwoode card, before taking that turn with the Shades, you may take a turn with Devoros. You must subtract 1 from the number of Shades you take a turn with.
And of course all of this is giving Devoros a full turn, not just a move OR an attack; so it's different gameplay that takes away the incentive to put OMs on him.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you were thinking about, but I'm not really seeing the advantage of using this template.
On the Warrior-King problem, the way you have it now creates issues at worst and is wonky at best. As is, he is taking actions during the Shades' turn. This can cause issues with scatter, or other things that interrupt turns. I'm pretty sure... Anyway, I know designs have had to be reworked in the past (Omegacron is the only one that comes to mind at the moment). Having Devoros and the Shades taking different turns with the Warrior-King ability would clear up those issues, I hope, so I suggested the Wolf Pack template.

I hope that made sense. Do you have more designs in the works?

Old February 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Having Devoros and the Shades taking different turns with the Warrior-King ability would clear up those issues, I hope, so I suggested the Wolf Pack template.
Ah, I'm clicking with you now. The potential trouble zone is two figures from different cards sharing the same turn. Good point. Perhaps something like this, then?
WARRIOR-KING
After revealing an Order Marker on the Shades of Bleakwoode, and before or after taking a turn with them, if you do not use all three moves or all three attacks for that squad this turn, Devoros may take a turn in which he either moves or attacks (respectively). He may do both if you control fewer than three Shades of Bleakwoode.
Or maybe this approach is better.
WARRIOR-KING
After revealing an Order Marker on the Shades of Bleakwoode, before or after taking a turn with them Devoros may take a turn in which he either moves or attacks. He may both move and attack if you control fewer than three Shades of Bleakwoode. During these two turns, Devoros and the Shades may not make more than 3 total moves or more than 3 total attacks.
Or possibly even this.
WARRIOR-KING
After revealing an Order Marker on the Shades of Bleakwoode, before or after taking a turn with them Devoros may take a turn in which he either moves or attacks. His move or attack subtracts one from the total number of Shades of Bleakwoode which may move or attack (respectively) this turn. Devoros may both move and attack if you control fewer than three Shades of Bleakwoode.
One advantage of that last approach is that it avoids specifically naming how many moves/attacks the related squad has, which makes it more re-usable by other units. All that is needed is to change the names of the hero and squad.

Quote:
Do you have more designs in the works?
Yeah, but I will probably only post them one at a time so I can incorporate feedback.

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
WARRIOR-KING
After revealing an Order Marker on the Shades of Bleakwoode, before or after taking a turn with them Devoros may take a turn in which he either moves or attacks. His move or attack subtracts one from the total number of Shades of Bleakwoode which may move or attack (respectively) this turn. Devoros may both move and attack if you control fewer than three Shades of Bleakwoode.
One advantage of that last approach is that it avoids specifically naming how many moves/attacks the related squad has, which makes it more re-usable by other units. All that is needed is to change the names of the hero and squad.
Yep, I agree here. I truthfully don't entirely like it, as it doesn't read like I'd think an official heroscape card would, but there's not really any problem there. I shouldn't be so judgmental.

Ah, now on to his other abilities...

With Enhanced Soul Devour, I'd highly suggest limiting his devouring abilities to only Unique Heroes and Squads. I don't think the added complexity of taking control of common figures is worth it.

Other than that, I think he now looks tight, and ready to be tested.

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
With Enhanced Soul Devour, I'd highly suggest limiting his devouring abilities to only Unique Heroes and Squads. I don't think the added complexity of taking control of common figures is worth it.
Ironically, I think if it were limited to unique squads, then it wouldn't be worth the complexity of the squad stuff at all. There are only 12 unique squads in classic, and perhaps half of those probably aren't commonly used (I'm guessing on that ratio).

Getting to soul devour squads is the main thing that makes this guy different from a normal Shade. If that doesn't happen very often due to only targeting about a half dozen routinely squads that see general use, I wonder if he would feel like a boring draft choice?

Old April 1st, 2015, 10:15 PM

Some revisions on Devoros. Enhanced Soul Devour is cleaned up, and Warrior-King is much simplified. Shortened text allows a better font size.

ENHANCED SOUL DEVOUR
After revealing an order marker on this Army Card or a Shades of Bleakwoode Army Card, and before moving any figures, you may choose a Hero or Squad figure adjacent to Devoros that is unique or common. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 18 or higher, destroy Devoros, then take control of the chosen figure and its Army Card. Remove any Order Markers on that Army Card. When Devoros soul devours a Squad figure, you may take control of additional figure(s) for that Army Card up to a total of one full Squad.

WARRIOR-KING
After taking a turn with the Shades of Bleakwoode, if you moved fewer than three Shades and attacked with fewer than three Shades, you may take a turn with Devoros.

STEALTH FLYING
When Devoros starts to fly, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks.
Thanks everyone for all feedback, old and new. All constructive comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; September 13th, 2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs - Agent Borrciga (Microcorp hero)

For a while now I've wanted to make a hero for the Microcorp Agents. Thematically, the Nakitas have Skahen, the G'nators have Laglor, and the Krav Maga have Agent Carr, but there's no boss-love (eww) for the Microcorps. I've looked at a few different minis from Reaper and others, but then yesterday I stumbled (re-stumbled, actually) onto Rocktroll's repaints thread in which he shows the Microcorp proxies he has made. When I saw this image ...

... I immediately perked up at the sight of that kneeling Checkmate Knight. It's an attractive sculpt, thematically reasonable for a Microcorp, and in good supply (CoolStuffInc has dozens of them for less than 50 cents each, and they do 99-cent shipping on minis).

Now, the Microcorps are of course a pretty good unit, so one has to be careful about buffing them very much. My goal is to give them a new ability that's fun and useful, without plussing any stats or making them even more deadly from height. And, if possible, I'd like to create a little more incentive for them to use their Water Suits rather than always running for height. Here's a quick Photoshop hack of my starting concept (click the image to make it more readable).

Quote:
AGENT BORRCIGA (Vydar)
HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
AGENT
TRICKY
MEDIUM 4
3 LIFE
MOVE 5
RANGE 7
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 2
80 POINTS

STEALTH ARMOR 12
When Agent Borrciga receives one or more wounds, before removing her from the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, ignore any wounds.

WATER SUIT 3
Agent Borrciga does not have to stop her movement when entering a water space. Add 3 to Agent Borrciga’s defense while she is on a water space.

COORDINATED FIRE
After taking a turn with Agent Borrciga in which she did not attack, you may take a turn with up to 3 Microcorp Agents you control. If any of those Microcorp Agents attack, they may only make one combined special attack with Range 7 and Attack X. X equals 2 times the number of attacking Microcorp Agents. Agent Borrciga and the attacking agent(s) must have a clear line of sight on the one target.
After taking a turn with Agent Borrciga, if she either did not move or did not attack, you may take a turn with a Common Squad of Agents you control. Any figures that Squad attacks during that turn must be within clear sight of Agent Borrciga. If 2 or 3 of those Squad members attack the same figure, you may combine their attacks into one special attack and roll their normal attack dice together. Roll 1 additional attack die if the combined attackers are all on the same level.
(EDIT: I've revised the text for clarity, to give the squaddies a bit more flexibility, and to let this work with either Microcorps or Gorillinators.)

The idea here, of course, is that when they don't have height giving them Attack 4, you might want to do a twist on the Roman arrow volley to get one attack of 6. It's easier for them than the Roman Archers because they don't have to be on the same level, but also harder because Borrciga needs to have eyes on the target as well. (The built-in Movement Bonding naturally helps with that.) Another advantage over the Romans is the ability to still get an attack of 4 if one of your "bonding" MCAs can't achieve clear sight (or if you only have two of them left on the battlefield). With those advantages and its 7 Range, it's clearly a better volley than what the Romans have, but of course MCAs cost almost twice as much as the archers and they need their hero in the op.

I want there to still be trade-offs and decisions to be made: do you immediately scramble for height as usual, or do you invest your OMs in setting up a kill zone to get a few 6 attacks on a key enemy hero? Generally, three attacks of 4 are better than one attack of 6 (especially if not making height a priority means the target has it), but the climb probably will take longer to set up and the fight for that hill can cause losses. Also, the tactical situation might be informed by whose photograph is in the mission dossier.

The 80-point cost is deliberately trying to make Agent Borrciga dovetail with the 120-point Agent Skahen (or, much less likely, the Nakitas) for a nice round 200 in a Microcorp build. For example, Borrciga+Skahen+3xMicrocorps = 500.

(Anybody see where her name comes from?)

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; September 13th, 2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:41 PM

Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs: Cybercops (unique soulborg squad)

What might an Einar soulborg look like? Given this general's proclivity for summoning Japanese warriors from Earth, and considering that robotics is huge in Japan with tons of firms trying to close the "uncanny valley" in lifelike robot design, what if...
Character Bio: Minato, Tokyo, Japan. 17 July 2211. Over two centuries of research and design by the best minds in robotics have culminated in the so-called "New Era in Peacekeeping." Unveiled for the world to see is a series of androids sporting the latest advancements in pico- and femtoprocessors, circulatory synthetics, and combinatorial heuristics. What makes today's revelation both amazing and chilling is the inclusion of human brains in the design. It is a milestone in law enforcement technology: police officers who do not sleep, eat, get tired, take vacations, or ask for a pay raise. Their only drawback is their slow and highly complex boot-up procedure.

Made to look as human as possible, with a colorful uniform and perpetual slight smile, each cyborg officer reassures the citizenry of its duty to serve and protect. Underneath, however, lies a cold catalog of detection, apprehension, elimination, and crowd-control algorithms designed to keep the organic brain working within approved parameters.

On distant planets, half-synthetic creatures such as these are called "Soulborgs." But on this small, blue world, they are known simply by their trademarked publicity hashtag: the Cybercops.
Click to embiggen...

EDIT: This card was revised after it was first posted, so the first few posts following may refer to the previous version.

I originally picked up these figures as proxies for the Command Courier, but then started thinking about their obvious Einar coloring and wanted to try something unusual: a potential 8/8/4/4 squad that (once fully booted up) is significantly undercosted in the traditional sense, but that charges you a different kind of price to field them, paid for with early order markers.

Their multi-round boot-up sequence brings two related liabilities: not only are they highly vulnerable in the first few rounds, but also their initial OM usage can be somewhat predictable during their extended boot-up phase (which will stretch through at least round 4, if they live that long). If your opponent can get within threat range on the first round of the game, they're absolute sitting ducks — as helpless as Venocs, only with bigger targets on their backs. The second round is not a lot better for them. But if you can protect them long enough to get them fully activated, then look out, Nelly.

How many Cybercops will survive to full strength? Are they a steal at draft time, or a sucker's bet that leads you to waste resources on figures that get shot to pieces before they're fully operational? This swingy dynamic tension makes them a tricky unit to cost, and I'm sure that 60 will need some adjustment.

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Marvel Deadpool set. Its name is Paladin 030. Availability as of the time of writing:

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; September 13th, 2018 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Math. Easy math.
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Just_a_Bill's Customs: Cybercops (unique soulborg squad)

Very bizarre yet intriguing unit. I'm a little thrown off by your mentioning that their limit is 8/8/4/4... is 4 the limit of markers they can receive? It doesn't say there's a limit anywhere on the Army Card.

Still, very unique unit. Mighty swingy I imagine.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards